“Disappointed”

Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2014

On March 17th I hosted a dinner for 9 the Green Gateau. I called the restaurant several days before the event and talked to Laurie. I explained to Laurie that I was going to host an important family event and that I wanted to pre-select the appetizers and wine so that I would not have to deal with that during the event. Laurie was very helpful and we picked delicious appetizers and great wines.

When we arrived at the Green Gateau the maitre d was clearly not expecting us although they had our reservation. The room was not prepared and I had to review the appetizer and wine selections again.

We were given a small room that was so small all we could do was sit at the table. There was no room to move around the room to visit people at the other end of the table. The room also had the service bar so the bartender was moving in and out of the room preparing and delivering drinks. Kind of disruptive for the event.

The Gateau Sampler appetizer was very good and everyone liked the dinners they ordered. We had a bottle of 2011 Augey Bordeaux that was excellent. People in our group who were not red wine drinkers like it. I had the candied walnut crusted salmon which I enjoyed very much.

In summary, the service was not would you would expect for an upper end restaurant but the food was above average.

There are newer reviews for The Green Gateau

Reviewed May 8, 2014

This is a gourmet restaurant that lives up to its excellent reputation in Lincoln. We have eaten there several times over the years when visiting relatives in Lincoln. The preparation is excellent and the service outstanding. Every meal there has been excellent in every way.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We have been here for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner and always enjoy our meal. Everyone in the family has their favorites but always try to order something new. We are never disappointed.
Do try their soup!

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I had the occasion to visit The Green Gateau for Dinner this past week. There was a 15 minute wait for a table on a Wednesday night. I'm from the East Coast and this doesn't phase me. The hostess insisted on bringing us drinks while we waited and then proceeded to comp them. I insisted that this was not necessary, but was told that it was. What a great focus on making sure the customer is taken care of.

We had options of several wonderful entrée and specials and everyone at the table had a fantastic meal. Pricing is almost too low for this level of food and service. After eating at just about every pub and bar in the Haymarket district, this is a treasure and pleasure to have found. I will be back frequently.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Went for my husband's birthday at 11am on a Wednesday. Great, quick service. Delicious food. I was a little disappointed that there were no breakfast options available, but what we did end up getting was wonderful. Prices could be a little better, but weren't bad.