“Top shelf dining with down home service.”
Review of The Green Gateau

The Green Gateau
Ranked #3 of 662 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Top shelf dining with down home service.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Very wonderful experience. Waitress was friendly almost to the point of feeling as though you were known there. Food was presented beautifully and it was delicious. A must dine in lincoln

• Visited July 2013

Norfolk, Nebraska
“Do Try!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Luncheon meal options are delicious. Potato salad was scrumptuous. Definitely would go again for another selection.

Visited July 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Smashing food, so-so service”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Green Gateau has some excellent food going for it. The service could use a bit of a kick in the pants, though. I shared brunch with my two buddies, and we had ample food to pass around, so I got a good bite of some of these dishes. The portions are pretty enormous, so come hungry, or bring someone to share it with.

We had Beignets to start. These came close to the glorious beignets I ate in New Orleans. Hot and crispy with a generous dusting of powdered sugar and cinnamon. A bit on the thick side, but it was fried thoroughly and was not doughy or gluey in the least. Just terrific. They serve them up with whipped cream and lemon curd, which is something different.

The Gateau Biscuit and Gravy (just one big biscuit) was just okay. The sausage in the gravy wasn’t well-seasoned The biscuit was a bit thick, though it did pick up some moisture from the otherwise decent gravy. It was seasoned a bit more than the sausage, somehow, and was thick without congealing into a hot mess.

Next up was the Gateau Burrito. This thing was as big around as my arm, and could easily be split between two hungry people. The tomato basil tortilla is a pretty color, but didn’t taste like the name implies. It’s filled to bursting with your choice of meat, bacon and eggs, in this case, doused with chile, queso fresco, cheddar and salsa. Being from NM, I’m very picky about New Mexican food, of which the burrito is a staple. So I’ll just recommend that you try this burrito with an open mind so as not to pooh-pooh it out of snobbery. I will say, the queso fresco was pretty impressive. (Salsa contained cilantro, beware.)

The Sweet Fruit Crepes were next, three of them filled with a sweet custard-like cream, with brandy-flamed spiced pear slices and berries. It says “brandy-flamed” on the menu, but I didn’t taste a note of that amid the fruit. It comes garnished with lingonberries, which I mistook for blueberries. Almost too sweet, it was still quite delicious. Tender crepes, and generous dollops of fresh whipped cream made it extra-enjoyable.

I had a scone as my side item, and ended up taking it to-go. The scone was about the size of a hamburger bun, and far too big to serve as a side. If they had cut it down to biscuit-size, I could’ve handled it. That said, it was buttery and dense like I like my scones, and the lemon curd was decent.

Someone had a chocolate muffin that I did not get to try, but it looked divine enough to mention, with a little swirl of chocolate ganache on top.

Onto the service. We had a very polite young man at the hosting station who was happy to seat us even though we were 30 minutes early for our reservation. Our server, though, was soft-spoken and low-key. These are not necessarily bad traits when you’re a server, but there were many requests for him to repeat what he said, and he didn’t seem terribly interested in our comments and questions about the meal. Lots of breezing past our table without a word, though I wasn’t sure where he was going, since it was only moderately busy. It may have been a short-staffed morning, who knows.

This is a fantastic place to try, for sure. The prices seem a bit variable for certain dishes, but this should be the place you come to treat yourself and ignore the price. We were able to get in ahead of our reservation time at 0930 on a Saturday morning, though the area was pretty crowded for parking (owing to the weekend farmer’s market in the area).

As an end note, for some reason, the specials board outside is a four-foot-tall cut-out of a pig in chef’s garb. Following the dark wood and posh country club-style interior, this was absolutely non-sequitor and kind of confusing. Is it the mascot? Someone’s inside joke? Left over from a previous incarnation?

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Sawr-C
Denver
“Fantastic food, service and charm!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This place is truly a shining star in Lincoln. The food is wonderful and there is a lot of variety. The menu features healthy, unique dishes and a wide price range including outstanding sandwiches, soups, salads and fine high-end dining options. They even prepare a lavash as good or even better than anywhere in the Hay Market. This place is very comfortable and even has a small patio space out front. Great for a business lunch, quiet dinner, or fun night out. Really, really good !

Visited June 2013
Wright City, Missouri
“Oh so good!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We took advantage of the 4 course meal of soup, salad, entree and dessert. Very nice way to sample a bit of all that they specialize in. Everything tasted wonderful and server was very kind. We went early on Saturday evening and very glad we did as they were busy later on with a waiting line.

• Visited June 2013