“The best breakfast & brunch spot in Lincoln!!”
Review of The Green Gateau

The Green Gateau
Ranked #2 of 671 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you are looking for fast and standard "coffee house truck stop" style of breafast this is NOT the place to be... However, if you are motivated challenge your taste buds on some creative spins to the standard offering in an elegant environment, This is your place!!

We greatly enjoy the service, food, and the extensive understanding of not just the menu but the coffee and wine offering as well.

The wait for a seats always with it!! Never walked away disappointed!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Love to treat myself once in a blue moon to a unique place with good food. Last time we visited was for a Saturday morning breakfast but have also eaten lunch and dinner there. Love the freshly baked buns sprinkled with flour (have had them at lunch served with butter) served with soup.

To me, prices are a little high but considering I don't treat myself that often, consider that a given part of the equasion.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

A group of old friends, in for a college reunion wanted to enjoy brunch together before headed home. They wouldn't take reservation for 12 without a prepayment, and with a large minimum check. Arrived 10:30am. Seated at 12:15. Not happy about that one bit! Once seated, Hillary ou waitress was excellent and provided great service. The food was fabulous! I recommend Sunday brunch after 1 (served 'til 3pm), when the rush is over. Outdoor seating poor, or we would have chosen that. Mimosa's very very good! Will never take group there again, but party of 4, maybe.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My boyfriend’s parents took us to dinner at the Green Gateau for his birthday, and we had a wonderful evening. None of us had been here before, and he had chosen it because of the good reviews he’d read about here and other places.

The curb appeal of this restaurant is very charming – an old brick façade, with a quaint outdoor seating area that you have to walk through in order to get indoors. The inside is old charming as well. Salvaged architectural items are used to decorate the dining areas. The first room you walk into seems like a small little café with small tables, the cash register and a dessert display – it would be a perfect place to snuggle up with a cup of coffee or a dessert and have a nice conversation with a friend or date. From there, they take you into any one of the small rooms to be seated for your meal. The rooms are somewhat dark (in a pleasing way) with beautiful woodwork.

Our waitress was very knowledgeable of the menu and wine list. She helped us pick a nice bottle of wine and gave accurate descriptions of the specials, recommending some of her favorite items to us. As it turned out, the wine we chose was out of stock, but they were able to recommend a similar bottle that we really enjoyed.

The food was very good. We started with the Spinach & Artichoke Fondue. My boyfriend was a little disappointed because it didn’t get brought to the table in a fondue pot…the dip had been melted and served to us in a large bowl. Regardless, the flavor of the dip and the accompanying crostinis was wonderful. Then we had soup or salad. All were garnished beautifully. His dad had the salad which looked fresh and had lots of good quality vegetables on it. The rest of us had the lobster bisque which was amazing! It had nice chunks of lobster and a deep buttery flavor to it. We each chose something different for the entrée. I was able to try three of the four and each one was amazing. His dad had the Beer Braised Pot Roast and it looked nice and tender – it was almost falling apart it was so tender. His mom had the chicken au poivre, which I tried and it was wonderful. Part of the dish was a duck foie gras sausage link, which was wonderful. He had a rainbow trout special that was basically rainbow trout stuffed with shrimp and pesto, served on a bed of couscous. This was delicious – probably the winner of the evening, in my opinion. I had the peppercorn pork which was wonderful as well. The pork had a great coating on it.

We each topped off the night with dessert. I had the crème bruleè. That was probably my only disappointment of the evening. While it was fun to watch then make the burnt sugar topping at the table, I actually make better crème bruleè. Even so, it was good, but not amazing. His dad had a lemon cream cake which he loved, and many of their other desserts looked delicious, so I’m not going to hold that against them…I should know better than to eat something out that I can cook well at home.

As far as price, I think you could be all over the board here. Our ticket came out to about $40/person after we had wine and dessert, but I think there are ways to get by here with less. The salads, burgers, and lighter fare were less expensive than the entrees, and they do have $5 burger nights. They also have the cute area up front where you can have just desserts and coffee.

I loved our waitress. She was very knowledgeable about the menu. She was prompt and attentive, without being annoying. She was quick to bring back requested items like boxes for our food, and on top of the refills without being asked.

We were able to find free on-street parking almost out front. Located on the south side of the downtown district, it would be within walking distance of many of Lincoln’s downtown area attractions if you wanted to walk around a bit before or after your visit to The Green Gateau.

I would definitely recommend this as a great place to visit if you are in Lincoln. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed and I’m sure we’ll be back.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I simply LOVE this restaurant and the food is always delicious. I have never been disappointed there, in fact, I end up measuring up every restaurant in Lincoln to this one and Green Gateau is a raised bar. My husband loves the NY steak dinner with Gruyere cheese and mushrooms, the plate presentation is beautiful and it is amazingly tasty ($27). Hamburgers are excellent and a great deal (comes with fries-complete meal, get medium doneness) it is a special price on Wednesdays ($5). My favorite desert is the creme brule which they caramelize table side. Such a nice touch! I also love the fact that they serve REAL loose leaf tea, it really makes a difference. I just wish they were open later hours.