“Very good, but essentially just another Lincoln sushi place”
Review of Hiro 88

Hiro 88
Reserve with OpenTable
Hiro 88 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 662 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good, but essentially just another Lincoln sushi place”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Service and atmosphere were quite good, and that's really why I go to most restaurants. The sushi was good, but I have yet to find a Lincoln sushi place that really separates itself from the rest. I'm guessing all nigiri and sashimi in Lincoln comes from the same source, as they all taste the same regardless of where I go. We split several rolls between several people. There were some that we all liked better than others- again, not any different from other places. They did offer fresh wasabi (for a charge), which was a unique touch, as I've never had it before. The side salad was free, but probably the most bland salad I've ever had at a sushi restaurant. We got the jalapeño appetizers, and they were good but way hotter than any of us were expecting. The squid salad was great, but tasted EXACTLY the same as Tokyo's squid salad.

Hiro is worth going to, perhaps multiple times. But to break your neck to go there over another, more convenient sushi place seems unnecessary.

• Visited January 2014

“Delicious Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We dined here for my birthday. We had California rolls, yellowtail sashimi and the Seared Tuna Salad. Everything was very fresh and delicious. We didn't have reservations, so we just ate at the bar, which worked well for us. I love sushi and this is my new favorite place in town. We will definitely be back.

• Visited October 2013
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
“Superior Experience”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed an early Saturday evening dinner (prior to attending the Elton John concert) at this new restaurant in Lincoln's West Haymarket. It was a superior experience from start to finish. We made our reservations about a week before the event. The day before I received a friendly reminder call regarding our reservation with value added in cautioning us to be aware of the parking issues in the Haymarket and the need to arrive with enough time and that they were requesting no more than a 90 minute dining time - both of those were expected on a busy concert night. The caller was pleasant and professional and I appreciated the contact.

The night we arrived we were promptly seated at our table, right off the sushi kitchen. Jessica, our server, welcomed us to the restaurant, asked us a few key questions to determine our knowledge of Hiro 88 and our plans for the night, and then proceeded to take our drink and appetizer order. She was patient, knowledgeable, and friendly - a nice start. We got comfortable right away with our choice of where to dine. Now we'd see how the rest of the meal went.

We ordered sushi and sashimi for appetizers and a bottle of Justin Cabernet 2011 for our wine. The sushi (freshwater eel) was excellent. Our sashimi (mackeral and fatty tuna) was artfully sliced, served, and beautifully garnished. Both were high quality sashimi. I was quite impressed.

Our meal started with Miso soup and salad. I ordered the Chilean Sea Bass with a Miso glaze and my wife ordered the Braised Scallops (Jessica was very helpful in our menu navigation and questions). We really enjoyed both of them - done to perfection, light, very flavorful, and very attractively served.

I was celebrating my birthday and Jessica surprised us with an offer of chocolate cake. I'm usually skeptical of restaurant desserts - but this one was outstanding! And the freshly brewed cup of dark coffee made it all the more wonderful. What a fantastic finish to a superior dining experience.

Hiro 88 is a strong contender for the best new restaurant in the Lincoln dining scene!

“Best Sushi in Lincoln”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Service: Very prompt and helpful. Excellent suggestions and knowledgeable staff.
Food: Several sushi options, plus plenty of choices for those that do not want to order sushi. Strongly suggest the spicy garlic green beans.
Atmosphere: Very modern and chic. Great for a first date or formal events.

Firth, NE
“Probably better sushi places in Lincoln”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We found the bar, and a lot of the menu to be quite a bit pricier than other sushi restaurants in Lincoln. The peanut butter chicken was horrible. The miso soup was not hot. The restaurant was cold. Most of the rolls we had were okay, a few stood out as pretty good. Overall, I have had much better sushi at other places in town. Aside from getting refills on our water, service was a bit slow. They did provide a complimentary piece chocolate and cream layered cake for my son's birthday, which was quite good.