“Small and easy to visit”

Nebraska History Museum
Ranked #14 of 70 things to do in Lincoln
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The charge is FREE, goodwill donations but no pressure to, and staff very helpful. The museum is small but that was nice because I did not have all day, I was wasting time so I had an hour. It could have spent all day but that is if I read every display. I did enjoy the visit and will go back again when I have more time. Great for children too, if I was a kid I would have loved it but I am a bit of a little kids yet. :-)

1  Thank landlockedNE

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I liked this museum, it is very simply laid out, and fun to see the different eras of history. It is a great place for the upper elementary and middle schoolers to see what life was like. Lots of info and FREE!

1  Thank Jimmaysmom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I see the reviews here are kind of mixed, but I really liked this museum. (I wasn't traveling with children though) For starters it is free and is a nice walk from the state capitol building - a must see in Lincoln. It has three floors but I spent all of my time on the second floor.

Here the history is laid out from the ancient times, with special attention paid to the Native tribes, Nebraska's admission as a state, and early statehood.

I really appreciated the extra information given on the Native tribes. Did you know that several of the fierce Southwestern tribes - the Apaches and Comanches - were originally from Nebraska? Strife with other tribes forced them out before the European Americans started settling in the area. I've never seen information before on issues and conflicts between native tribes prior to contact with European Americans, so it was refreshing to learn about this - that native history is more than simply, 'uh, they was here when we showed up.'

In the section on early statehood there were several rooms which you could look into (but not walk in) which tried to replicate traditional Nebraska places, such as a sod house and an old soda-pop fountain. I liken them to diaromas, and they were a nice touch.

I understand what one of the other reviewers was saying about how the place felt a bit like a cardboard maze, with partition walls keeping you on a chronological path lined with anecdotes and artifacts. Maybe it wasn't the most elegant presentation, but I didn't mind. Nebraskans seem pretty practical, and this museum reflected that.

I really enjoyed this place, I recommend it.

1  Thank Chesatamette
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have been to so many plains state's history museums that this one was nothing special. It had a lot about the Native American tribes and pioneer days on the Great Plains. It also had a little about Nebraska's admission as a state. It would be very informative if you had no knowledge of that history. It is clean and free. You do have to pay for parking, however. Allow at least an hour to tour. It has a nice gift shop.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Great overview of Nebraska History !

The exhibits are well done & very well presented.

Gift Shop - a comprehensive selection of quality merchandise.