“Great stuff inside but a poor tour”

Museum of American Speed
Ranked #4 of 68 things to do in Lincoln
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Rochester Hills, Michigan
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great stuff inside but a poor tour”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This place has an incredible collection of cars and engines mostly related to American oval track racing. Unfortunately, the tour format in which a guide takes you around the museum for about 2-1/2 hours leaves no time to explore anything on one's own.

As a former racer and automotive engineer, I would have loved to spend the whole time examining the race cars and especially the historic engines. But we were always being herded along to other rooms with things that I had absolutely no interest in such as pedal cars, toy cars, and various personal object collections of the owner and his family. He has every right to put whatever he wants into his museum, but I felt it to be a waste of my limited time to have to look at it all.

What was even worse is that the collection of sprint cars was one of the things that I wanted to see the most, but we got to them only at the very end and then our guide had to call "time's up" as we were led to the exit. Maybe if he'd spent less time extolling the careers of various local dirt-track racers? Needless to say, it was overall a disappointing experience.

4 Thank Doug G
MuseumAmericanSpeed, Guest Relations Manager at Museum of American Speed, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Doug,

We try to give a great tour that will appeal to all of our guests. With so many neat things to see and share on our guided tours its hard to focus on one category without shorting guests of seeing the whole collection. The guided tours are a great way to share the history and nostalgia of each category for folks who aren't as up to speed as you are in specific categories such as Sprint Cars etc. We personally welcome you back to the museum to see if we can spend some more time sharing this great collection with you. I think our reputation precedes us on Trip Advisor and we go the extra mile to make our guests feel welcome. So, if you get back into the area give us a call and schedule a new tour day with us by leaving a message at 402-323-3166 or by emailing us at museumofamericanspeed@gmail.com and I promise you will be ready to share a new review with everyone that we can all be proud of. Thank you for your review and we look forward to having you back to the Museum of American Speed Smith Collection very soon!

Kansas City, Missouri
“Very Nostalgic pleasant interesting Museum”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Rad exhibit sparked a lot of interest in my parrents. We spent several hours browsing. If you have young children watch out ! They will ask you if you can buy one of these wonderful antique toys ! At $8.00 per adult. Definitely a must see if you are in Lincoln a short time.

Billings, Montana
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“"Shocking..."”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Yes, shocking... Who would've thought that this would be the the best and most talked about part of this trip for us. Myself included. This was suppose to be a small side stop for the trip. This "museum" had the best collections and displays of never before seen cars, engines,race memorabilia, antique pedal cars, lunch boxes (yes, vintage lunch boxes) and soooo much more. We didn't get in Bill's Garage because a memorial service was going on . Supposedly the more prized "stuff" is in that wing of this fantastic museum. We are very curious to see what is in Bill's garage??? We will go again...

Lincoln NE
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Interesting Visit”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Race car history, old tools, cutest and largest collection of pedal cars I have ever seen. Very much worth a visit.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank KatfromNE
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had never been there until I took my vehicle-knowledgeable 14-year-old grandson. I kept shaking my head. There is "eye-candy" everywhere -- in the form of cars, racers, motors, peddle cars, models. The tours are offered on a very limited basis, though that may change with a couple of years. The tour is 2.5 hours of being on your feet.

Visited July 2013