“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Horizon Inn Motel

Horizon Inn Motel
Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Lincoln
Burlington, Iowa, United States
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We wanted a cheap place since we were having to stop twice on our trip but I wish we would have spent just a little more. The carpet was disgusting, I kept my shoes on until bed and had to wash my sons feet before putting him down. The bed was hard and apparently the trend is to only have 1 sheet and a see through blanket? Thankfully I had an extra blanket of my own. It was actually very quiet, although our son was not a happy camper so we were probably the noisy ones, unfortunately. Location was good, right off the interstate and breakfast was nice. DS loves waffles so having them to make fresh was great. Would not stay again until they replaced the carpets.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Only one real restaurants close by and it that closes early. Mostly fast food.
The room was not clean when we checked in. It was after the time when housekeeping had left so the desk clerk she'd give us our money back since they were full. Not a good option at 11:00 PM! She finally said she fix the room if we'd wait. The housekeeping over the three days was adequate but not great. The AC kept freezing up and the internet only worked some of the time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Falls, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I am a little confused by the large number of relatively positive reviews for this hotel on this website. We booked a pre-paid reservation at this hotel based on that fact and I honestly wondered what others experienced that made them so positive.

Let me start by saying I understand that this is a budget hotel. I use budget hotels as an option in my travel experiences and I understand that they are a mixed bag. The adage "you get what you pay for" is normally pretty fair. However, this hotel left me very disappointed and feeling like I didn't even get that. The $50 I paid here was more than I had paid just three weeks ago in a completely different town/hotel chain yet this hotel was several orders of magnitude worse than that previous experience. This is a budget hotel that has been run as a budget hotel for many years and that is clear from the moment you pull in to the parking lot. It has been used VERY hard as a budget hotel and that fact is starting to catch up with it.

The pro:
The housekeeping staff in this hotel actually deserves some real thumbs up. The sheets, towels, and bathroom were as clean as you could possibly expect from ANY hotel, let alone an inexpensive place like this one. The only reason that I didn't give this place one star, and the reason that we DIDN'T leave, was because we decided that it was, at the very least, clean.

The cons:
Where do, I start? None of the following things was a huge deal on it's own, but the overwhelming number of things that bothered us added up to make this an unpleasant stay.

* The first thing that greeted us as we walked to our room was a strong smell of what, both my wife and I agreed, seemed to be bad Body Odor. The halls smelled like unwashed truckers had been doing aerobics in them earlier in the day (although to be fair, we never saw any truckers at the hotel ;)
* When we entered our room the BO smell disappeared, but it was replaced with an oddly chemical smell. We both assumed that this was some form of cleaner used by housekeeping, but it wasn't a smell we could place. I could "feel" that smell in my throat almost immediately, and I woke up in the morning with a sore throat that I attribute to that smell. It took about 24 hours to finally go away.
* When we first walked in the room we were surprised that the beds appeared to have nothing on them but sheets. When we looked more closely we realized that the beds used two sheets, sandwiched around an ancient brown blanket rather than any kind of coverlet. Everything appeared clean, but it was just a strange look I haven't seen before.
* While inspecting the beds to see if they were clean my wife found a strange brown "stain" that turned out to be a cigarette burn on the underlying mattress pad (this is a smoke free hotel so it's hard to know how old that pad was or when the burn occurred).
* Also, the mattresses and box springs were sitting on simple boxes and everything was exposed. The mattress/box springs were ancient and threadbare with rips and stains showing.
* There were several odd stains on the ceiling.
* The bathroom was clean about as high as a human could reach, but in that gap between an outstretched human arm and the ceiling there were multiple mildew stains on the wall paper.
* The window curtain was ripped and the "pull pole" you use to open and close it was broken off and lying on top of the air conditioning unit.
* The shower mat was so threadbare you could see the tile pattern through it (again, BOTH were very clean)
* There was no chain lock on the door (something my wife hated. She hauled the room table over in front of the door before we turned in for the night).
* The walls were thin and transmitted a lot of noise. Actually, the worse was when the neighbors in the room next door decided to take a shower about midnight. The roaring sound coming out of our bathroom woke both of us up and confused us for a minute until we figured out what was causing it.
* The clock in the room showed the incorrect time and it seemed that none of the buttons worked so it was impossible to update the time.
* Finally, the "breakfast area" consisted of a folding table in the lobby with an airpot of coffee, juice, milk, one or two sugar laden cereal choices, and a waffle iron. There were two tables with four total chairs placed literally four or five feet from the front desk and all of the traffic of folks checking out. I realize that it is almost a requirement to offer "free breakfast" these days and I don't have a huge expectation for quality. However, this was the first time I have been asked to eat in a lobby that was only about 10x15 to begin with.

Again, none of these things is awful on it's own, but they all added up. I am glad we didn't bail out and double pay to move to a different hotel. Having said that, I will have to pick more carefully when I use budget hotels. Unfortunately, this is the first time I have been let down by the reviews on tripadvisor.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank IA-CS-guy
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

Clean, basic, amazing value. Staff is extremely friendly. Breakfast is simple, cereal, oatmeal. They had a waffle maker but I didn't try it. Bed was on the firm side, but I'm usually pretty sensitive to that and I slept fine. For the money, will definitely be back on my next trip through Lincoln.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Golden, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were at this hotel twice - on the way to our destination, and on the way home. The first night we were there, I would have given the place a higher rating. On the plus side, it's easy to get to from the highway and they give you a discount at the Perkins across the street. It was clean, the free waffles made a nice breakfast, and the staff was great. My only complaint was that, even though this is a non-smoking motel, there was a distinct odor in the hallway - either it was cigarette smoke, or the cleaning product. On our second night, 4 days later, the staff was less helpful/friendly.The smell was still there. Plus, we paid over $50 for a room with a king-sized bed, using a AAA discount, and I think it was overpriced.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

Clean and nice. Non-smoking building, no pets (smell and noise are avoided), wifi, friendly staff, microwave, fridge, and large (27" tube) TV. At $30 (Mar 2012), it's 10 bucks cheaper than the the Motel 6 next door, but with way better amenities. M6 has no fridge, no microwave, no alarm clock, and way smaller TV. Convenient to I-80.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Alex S
Western USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

I only put (for the money) in parentheses because it is an impressive hotel at prices much higher. It is clean, modern, quiet, well maintained and provides a great wifi signal. As a man traveling on business, you cannot ask for more.

And the price is terrific ($29.95 in January 2012). They could easily charge $20 more and it would still be worth it. Fortunately for the traveler and unfortunately for the hotel owner, competition keeps the prices down.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business