“Tallest Building in Lincoln”

Nebraska State Capitol
Ranked #1 of 66 things to do in Lincoln
More attraction details
Owner description: Beautiful mosaic ceilings and floors, paintings and sculptures inside the 400-foot high capitol building are as impressive as its marble, bronze and gold leaf exterior and white tower topped by a bronze statue. Free guided tours are available.
Nashville, Tennessee
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Tallest Building in Lincoln”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Capitol Building is beautiful!! It is 400 feet tall!! The interior is unbelievable!! It takes your breath away it is so beautiful!! The interior tells Nebraska's history through carvings, beautiful mosaics, paintings, sculptures, inscriptions, and inlaid wood. I could easily see why it was voted one of the 10 most beautiful buildings in the world by a group of 100 architect. Don't miss the free guided tour.

Visited October 2012

• Czech first
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very interesting and welcoming environment.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We went on Columbus Day when the only people there were the security guards and one person giving tours. We tagged along on a tour with a few other folks and got more than we ever expected. The guide was extraordinarily knowledgeable and very engaging. We've been to numerous capitals and this was one of the better experiences.

Visited October 2012
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“Tours recommended.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

The tour guide made the Capitol a highlight. My elementary age children were able to enjoy it more with his explanations, histories, and insights.

Visited March 2012
San Antonio, Texas
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Best FREE tour I've ever taken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband suggested we go here on our day off. It was game day, so we figured it wouldn't be that crowded. I didn't catch our tour guides name, but he was fantastic. He wore Superman glasses and Chuck Taylors...that's all I can tell you. Not only was our tour guide eloquent, he was very knowledgable and had a good sense of humor. There were a variety of ages on our tour and he tried to engage the little kids a little bit, so they weren't bored. I don't want to say too much about the tour, but it was really fascinating. Who knew a tour of a state capitol could be so interesting? I went bracing myself to be bored, but I wasn't at all. Plus, the capitol is an architectural awe. I can't believe how much money, time, craftsmenship, and thought went into designing this space. It really tells a story itself. What was super cool about it, was that it kinda feels like you're in a cathedral...the way the space is laid out. Definitely put this on your list of things to do if you're visiting Nebraska's Capitol.

Visited September 2012
Clearwater, FL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great historical functioning site.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

What I love about visiting historical sites is how intact they still are. They have masterfully kept the integrity of the capitol building all the way to the elevators that are so small it almost gives you a heart attack!

They have truly taken every step to not alter the building, even the unicameral legislature room is pretty much original. The mural that tell stories of Nebraska history are interesting, it is ALWAYS worth the tour that takes place hourly.

Visited May 2012