“Very interesting and welcoming environment.”

Nebraska State Capitol
Ranked #3 of 73 things to do in Lincoln
More attraction details
Owner description: Beautiful mosaic ceilings and floors, paintings and sculptures inside the 400-foot high capitol building are as impressive as its marble, bronze and gold leaf exterior and white tower topped by a bronze statue. Free guided tours are available.
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We went on Columbus Day when the only people there were the security guards and one person giving tours. We tagged along on a tour with a few other folks and got more than we ever expected. The guide was extraordinarily knowledgeable and very engaging. We've been to numerous capitals and this was one of the better experiences.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

The tour guide made the Capitol a highlight. My elementary age children were able to enjoy it more with his explanations, histories, and insights.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband suggested we go here on our day off. It was game day, so we figured it wouldn't be that crowded. I didn't catch our tour guides name, but he was fantastic. He wore Superman glasses and Chuck Taylors...that's all I can tell you. Not only was our tour guide eloquent, he was very knowledgable and had a good sense of humor. There were a variety of ages on our tour and he tried to engage the little kids a little bit, so they weren't bored. I don't want to say too much about the tour, but it was really fascinating. Who knew a tour of a state capitol could be so interesting? I went bracing myself to be bored, but I wasn't at all. Plus, the capitol is an architectural awe. I can't believe how much money, time, craftsmenship, and thought went into designing this space. It really tells a story itself. What was super cool about it, was that it kinda feels like you're in a cathedral...the way the space is laid out. Definitely put this on your list of things to do if you're visiting Nebraska's Capitol.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

What I love about visiting historical sites is how intact they still are. They have masterfully kept the integrity of the capitol building all the way to the elevators that are so small it almost gives you a heart attack!

They have truly taken every step to not alter the building, even the unicameral legislature room is pretty much original. The mural that tell stories of Nebraska history are interesting, it is ALWAYS worth the tour that takes place hourly.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Fascinating 1930’s Art Deco art and architecture. The guided tour lasts about 30 min, and introduces you to the history of the building and Nebraska’s unique unicameral legislature, and explains the rich symbolism throughout the capitol building. The interior was designed with blank spaces where additional art would be filled in, as it has been over the decades. Some blank spaces are left for future generations of artists. After the tour, you can take an elevator to the observation deck and view the Memorial Chamber.

1  Thank Mephyle