“Enjoyed my stay”

The Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Lincoln
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here for one night while on business in Lincoln and was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is in a great location in downtown Lincoln, close to many attractions and restaurants.
The only real problem I had was that when checking in, the front desk clerk did not explain any of the hotel’s amenities to me. I had to ask about the concierge lounge, and when breakfast was served, etc. which really should have been offered to me. The gentleman seemed like he was not that interested in my visit, and wanted to get me checked in and away as quickly as possible, which I did not appreciate.

As an elite member, I was put on the top floor with a very nice view of the capitol building. The room was nice, it was a bit noisy with construction going on when I checked in around 3:30pm, but it stopped after 6pm, so it wasn’t that big of an issue. Bed was comfortable and room was modern looking with everything in working order.

The concierge lounge (on the same floor) had a nice reception in the evening, with hotel appetizers after 5pm and also a dessert time after 7:30pm which was a very nice touch. I ordered room service which was tasty and not too overly expensive either.

Overall a very nice stay, and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mrstats69

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Not sure if they were renovating but during the day kept hearing a drilling noise on and off. I was glad that it was gone after 5pm but it came back promptly the next morning at 9am.

The rooms are average in size, very comfortable beds and warm duvets.

The bathroom was small. So small that the bathroom door almost touches the toilet. But the exposed hardware of the rolling closet door was a nice modern touch.
Going back to the bathroom, at least it had nice shelves and counter space.

It is always a plus when rooms have a fridge, so thank you for that!

Nice tea box with amenities!

Big and older tv stand but it goes with the second of the room.

The windows was small but in a triangular way. Nice touch.

I didn't interact with the staff, so I can't comment about that.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Charles H, General Manager at The Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

We appreciate the feedback. Let me address a few of you comments. We are renovating the hotel and apologize for the noise. That nose was relating to the carpet tact strips we had to put down on the remaining two floors of guestrooms and corridors being renovated. We added the refrigerators to all rooms, which is not a Marriott standard but due to many guest requests we added them to all the rooms. The bathrooms are small and the issue with the doors are being fixed in the 12 rooms that has that issue. Wish I could make them bigger, but as you can imagine very costly to make that change. Thanks again for sharing and come back soon. All the best!!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I am currently in my room at this hotel, it's 5:45pm, I've had a long day of meetings and have to sit here and listen to hammers & drills as they remodel the other rooms around me. I have a headache & would like to take a nap but the noise makes it impossible. I was just on my phone and the person on the other end could hear it clearly and was like "where are you? What's all that noise?" I did call the front desk to ask when the pounding would be done for the night and she said soon so I guess I'll see.
The rooms are old fashion looking with no fridge or microwave. Food is expensive, $28 for eggs Benedict & sausage this morning. Very small menu /room service selection.
Beautiful lobby, nice meeting rooms and friendly staff but prob will not be back in the future after all of the problems on top.

• Stayed: December 2013

I was sorry to read about your experience you encountered during your stay. We try and communicate as best we can any noise that may occur during the stay as it is speratic and difficult to always identify. We are almost done with the guestroom renovation which was the noise you heard and apologize for that. We limit it from 9 am to 5:00 pm so I will check to see why they seemed to have gone later. We hope you give us a try again after the renovation is completed. Thanks again for sharing.

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I paid the up charge for the Concierge service but did not receive all of the benefits. We were assigned a room on the 6th floor which I believed was the Concierge floor.

The desk help made no mention.

We walked right off the elevator onto the sixth floor which raised suspicions. Well we learned at check out that robes should have been included and that all the special benes were on the 10th floor. Maybe I should have asked. Maybe the staff should have helped us beyond issuing a key and taking the visa.

On the upside...The Cornhusker has a bit of a dated feel but looked and felt cleaner than recent stays at the Sofitel in Minneapolis and the Intercontinental at the Plaza in KC.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
CHarperGM, General Manager at The Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

You are absolutely correct. We have a lot of Marriott Elite members stay with us that receive concierge benefits as well as those that pay the extra $25.00 to be on concierge level, but on occasion we do not have enough concierge rooms. For most guests it is more about the accessibility to the concierge lounge service and food and beverage, but for those that we cannot put on the concierge floors (9 and 10) we should have made sure you receive the robe and few other items as well. Thank you for the feedback and I will work with our team to make sure this process is improved.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I was happy to hear that the Cornhusker had been purchased by a new owner and was being renovated. Our stay was excellent. And the concierge lounge was the BEST one that I have ever been to at a Marriott. Put simply, the staff was friendly, there was no need to sign in, the meals were excellent, and there was 24/7 access to drinks and light snacks. In addition, the staff was genuinely friendly and definitely NOT snooty. The hotel is ideally located downtown in a nice area. The bed was so comfortable that I wanted to look at who made the mattress, so that I could go buy one when I got home. If the remodel were complete, then I would have rated it a five-star stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the capitol.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OptionRight
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was really great. Stayed here over thanksgiving and was really impressed with how friendly the staff were. From the valet crew to the maid service, all around awesome! The fitness area is superb and the pool is great. Only disappointment was that there was no hot tub. Short walk to many attractions downtown and memorial stadium. GO Big Red!

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This is a good hotel, but just so typical of 80% of the Marriott's in the US, which all look like they were built in the 80's (this was re-built in '83), so they certainly lack the contemporary feel of some of their newer properties. The surprising thing with The Cornhusker is that it's in the middle of a refurbishment, and you'll see lots of design guides/keys in the lobby. So on check-in, we requested a refurbished room, which apparently means anything above the 6th floor (as of November 26, 2013). Since I'm platinum with Marriott, we were put on the Concierge floor, which is the 10th.

The room itself is best described as 'lightly refreshed', certainly not refurbished. Sure, the pictures are new, but most of the furniture is original (as evidenced by the TV unit designed for an old CRT TV, although the flat-screen TV now installed was good). The bathroom might have a new counter top and mirror, but the tile is original. I guess the bottom line with the room is that they're fine, and just like nearly every other US Marriott, so if you're cool with that, you'll be happy here, but if you're looking for something a little more upscale or contemporary, this might not check all the boxes. Also disappointing was the lack of a safe in the room.

The Concierge lounge was nice, and the service good - the hotel was very quiet when we stayed, so we were the only ones in there most of the time. If you're wondering, there's complimentary wine and beer from 5.30, with savory snacks until 7.30, then dessert until 10.

However my main concern was the room we were put in (#1020), was next to the concierge lounge (#1022), which for some reason just had a regular hotel door on it, which means that all you hear from 6am is the door slamming as people come and go for breakfast. We were staying at the hotel for a good nights' sleep, so for this reason, the room was a huge fail. In my profile I have a standing request for a room away from the elevators (they could not have been closer), so I have no idea why this room was assigned, for the noise reason alone, it should be the last room assigned to anyone. I did complain on checkout, where they gave me 1000 points - big deal, I stay 70-100 nights a year with Marriott, so a thousand points is just an empty gesture.

Overall, this is an OK hotel, and the only one I've stayed at in Lincoln, so I'm not sure if there's better choices, but I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pwhite8314
CHarperGM, General Manager at The Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

We do really appreciate the feedback. We have recieved many great comments on the guestroom renovation to date. We did decide to keep the credenza and night stands as they were still in great condition, but upgraded the hardware to match the new desk. All other elements of the guestroom were replaced; carpet, desk, furniture, wall covering, new beds and box springs, etc. We also have added refrigerators to all the guestrooms which we did not have before. Marriott does not require safes as part of their brand standard, but have heard that may change which means we would add those down the road if that is the case. Great point on the comment regarding your room being next to the concierge lounge. I will have engineering see what they can do to minimize the noise. We have much more to do regarding the renovation; lobby, greatroom and meeting space. Hopefully the service we provide will get you to come back again. Thanks again and all the best!!