“Great spot for breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

The Engine House Cafe
Ranked #18 of 639 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Houston
“Great spot for breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Discovered this inviting spot on a trip to Lincoln last year while visiting Nebraska Wesleyan University--it's less than 5 minutes away. The breakfasts were fantastic. I especially recommend the biscuit combo [biscuit covered with sausage gravy, served with eggs, potatoes and toast]. Four of us had full breakfasts and bottomless beverages [coffee, diet Coke and hot chocolate] all for the incrediby reasonable price of $30. Service is very friendly. Even though there is almost always a line, the tables turn pretty quickly.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank uncsig

Iowa
“Just okay on this visit.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

First visit to this restaurant and Lincoln. My wife said her potato patter was very good. Her dish gets an A. Based on reviews, I ordered eggs Benedict with steak. Asked the waitress if it be no problem to make sure my eggs would be cooked all the way through, and double checked with her on that before ordering. Unfortunately, eggs were not cooked through. Steak was a very thin strip which would have been fine had it been seasoned and not way over cooked --- tough chew. My dish gets gets a D. Humorous side note - menus have a nice history on the front. My wife was reading it and she asked me about wood "beans". Guessing the historical description of the two wood beams in the doorway gets some inquiries from other teachers, in particular. Surprised they would leave the menus like that, but maybe it was decided it would be part of the charm. We didn't ask about it, figured they must get that a lot. Good atmosphere.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank hawkeyes4
“Nice little breakfast place in the heartland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I was in Lincoln for a conference, and went there on a slow Friday morning. The place was packed, with an older yet physically fit crowd. You could have ported this place to Southern California and people wouldn't have noticed the difference. But in Lincoln, Nebraska, the middle of nowhere? (Sorry, folks.). The place had a great atmosphere, lay back and relaxed. The waitress seems to know everybody (except me, of course). I ordered egg Benedict, which was excellent for the value. All in all, a memorable experience. Would I go again if I ever visit Lincoln Nebraska again? Oh you bet. But the latter might, alas, never happen.

• Visited July 2013
anytown USA
“Great food, friendly atmosphere, good prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

One of our favorite restaurants in Lincoln. We have never had a bad meal here. The service is great and the kids like looking at the firehouse photos and memorabilia that is on the walls.

• Visited February 2013
Omaha NE
“Engine House Cafe combines history with good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

One goal we have when we travel is to try local restaurants.

On a recent day trip to Lincoln, we wanted to try a local café for breakfast. The Engine House Café in the Havelock Historical District was our choice.

It’s located in the original fire house in Havelock. It was built in 1900. It had a horse-drawn fire wagon. The fire house stood there until the 1970s, when a new fire station was built.

The wood-carved ceiling is still in place from 1900. Two wooden beams remain from the original bell tower.

The walls are adorned with pictures, news articles and equipment, donated by retired or active fire fighters or their families.

The menu has a nice selection. Dishes are reasonably priced, most everything was under $10.
Service was excellent. It was a Husker game day (spring game) and the café was busy. Our server stayed on top of our drink refills and checking on us.

I recommend Engine House Café for breakfast. I look forward to trying their lunch menu sometime. The café is open 6 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday - Friday. Weekend hours are 7 a.m. – 2 p.m.

• Visited April 2013