“Fool's gold”

Courtyard by Marriott Omaha La Vista
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in La Vista
Reviewed July 27, 2012

From the outside, the Courtyard LaVista looks like a very inviting place for travelers. The location is outstanding, especially for those on their way to points east or west along Interstate 80 and going to the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. However, don't be fooled, because once you get there, you will be mighty disappointed.

The parking lot is totally inadequate. There are two hotels (Embassy Suites is the other) on the same site, plus a convention center, and when the larger crowds come for conventions, the College World Series and University of Nebraska football games, it is going to be difficult to find a good space. There is a small parking lot on the north side of the hotel, but good luck trying to find an entrance on that side. You have to walk inside the lobby and past the desk to find luggage carts, which is unacceptable. There is plenty of room just past the elevators to put the carts.

The check-in process could be better. The staff seems to be a little overwhlemed and unresponsive to the needs of the guest. I'm someone who just wants to get in and get to his room, but those who expect better service will be really put off.

The rooms are nothing remarkable. The first time I stayed here, I was twice placed in rooms which were still being cleaned. The second time, I discovered blood on a lampshade. Gross. And no refrigerators? Give me a break. There is a large cabinet underneath a counter with nothing but a garbage can inside. Looks to me like they have plenty of room for a refrigerator. And by plenty, they can fit a good-sized refrigerator. The TV selection is pitiful, and the TV reception for many channels is poor. When there are thunderstorms--and they are frequent in Omaha--the reception goes out, and of course, since it's Dish Network, it's going to be that much worse. The Internet isn't nearly as fast as it should be. And the room numbering scheme is convoluted. The rooms closest to the elevator are numbered x01 and x02 to the right, but on the left, it starts at x37 and x38. To get to x30, you have to walk all the way down the hall. Who dreamed this up?

NO REFRIGERATOR? GIVE ME A BREAK. That really angered me. I know most of us, me included, need the walk down the hall to the ice machine, but to do it in the middle of the night? What about people who have to refrigerate medication?

Except for the minor league baseball park and an easy drive to Lincoln, it's really not convenient to anything. It's 12 miles to the zoo, about a 30-minute ride to the CWS stadium, arena and airport, and a ways from shopping and dining.

The rates they charge during the CWS and Cornhusker football games are absolutely ridiculous, and made even more preposterous by the lack of amenities in the room. If all you're looking for is a bed to crash and a quick return to I-80 to continue your trip, you could live with it for a night. But other than that, there are far better options.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DNSKansas

Reviewed July 10, 2012

As a Marriott Rewards member this was my first Marriott stay in the Omaha area... I found the property easy to find and easy access to I-80. The lobby and rooms were pleasant and conducive to relaxing and travel. It was fun to wander on foot to the nearby Cabella's. But I was puzzled by two things. First, the desk clerk who checked me in was somewhat off-hand about my inquiry about area restaurants--suggesting the facility eatery or one in the adjoining hotel were all that was available. I did have to venture out for gas, and found other eateries, so... When I chose the restaurant on site, in the hotel, my meal was excellent, and staff very competent. But when I asked for bread or rolls with dinner they were not available. Still, I would go back to this location, knowing there might be limitations.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'm a Marriott Rewards member and have stayed at several Marriott properties in Omaha when visiting family. The Courtyard offers great I-80 access, lots of parking and is one of the larger Courtyards I've seem. Very well maintained property and staff is pleasant; stayed here probably dozen or more times in two years. Bistro service can be a bit slow in the mornings, especially when there are sporting events in town--the hotel seems to be a favorite of high school and college teams. Luckily, noise is usually not an issue and staff has specifically placed us on floors away from the noise--even without being asked. Rates tend to vary from $79-$169, depending on what's happening in town. Have checked rates against Embassy next door and Courtyard is always lower--though the properties share a common ownership.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Upon arrival at this hotel, I was extremely impressed by the upscale lobby for a "business" class hotel. Check in was about 3 minutes and the front desk clerk extremely friendly. The room was brand new, beautifully decorated. Great work desk area, free wifi, flat panel tv, iron/ironing board, blow dryer. Granite in bath and in area where in-room coffee maker is. I had two minor issues - first the clock in the room. It was a digital clock that you can plug your iphone or ipod into the top also with a radio. Problem is, the digital numbers in the dark were illegible. I've had this same clock in other hotels with the same problem - so I had no idea what time it was without getting out of bed and going to where my cell phone was charging at the desk. My other issue was that the lighting in the restroom is not really good for a woman who needs to put on makeup. A mirror placed in the area where the coffee station is would be great as the lighting there is very bright. Also, I noticed a closet under where the coffee station is. An in-room mini fridge would be great there. LOVED that there was a screened window that could be opened for fresh air. The gym was good - open 24 hours. Free coffee in the lobby starting at 5am. Would prefer real milk/half half versus the little mini cups of fakeness but all in all, a great hotel for business travel. Very convenient to the highway.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Stayed here one night during reunion weekend in Omaha..Fairfield near Creighton was sold out with marathon and wedding party..so I trekked out to this large newer Courtyard for my second nite....
Lots of free parking...Checked in mid afternoon and received the high floor room I requested..Front desk staffer was cordial but not overly friendly..
I have stayed at many Courtyards..and this is one of the biggest I have frequented..the lobby area is gigantic...It is a little confusing walking the hallways because the property is so large..you lose your bearings...but it is very convenient right off the Interstate...and less than 20 minutes to Creighton campus (night and weekend trips when I drove)..Also next to a convention center..
Room was very clean...quiet..internet worked well...comfortable bed...bathroom was clean with nice towels . I used the gym twice..very large .one of the nicer hotel gyms I have found..very large...with nice equipment that worked well..Did not use pool..but it looked clean and well maintained with hot water and lots of pressure..
My only issue was that the coffee in the lobby was gone mid morning Sunday when I checked out..and needed some attention..(coffee station was trashed)....but there was coffee for sale on site....Check out was fast and efficient...I did not spend much time at the hotel..but it is an above average Courtyard in my experience..

Room Tip: There are some air conditioning units on the roof of lower floors interstate side..so I would reques...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Typically don't stay here when I travel to La Vista but I thought I'd try something different. Not going back. Wasn't greeted friendly upon arrival, never told about eating options, elevator location, no call after check in to see if everything was up to par. Looked like someone just showered prior to me entering, no refridgerator in room. As I walked to look for something to eat I never once talked to or was greeted by any hotel staff. I felt lost in a big building and noone cared less that I was a guest there. Tried several times to strike a conversation with the bartender, he wasn't interested at all. The desktop stations didn't work. The guest next to me was ticked as he printed the ink blead and got all over his dress pants... he was a regular and said he wasn't returning and I won't be either. a pretty location, but there is more to a hotel than looks when you are paying rates to stay there.

Room Tip: If you want a good room ask the GM or someone to go check it first and be sure there isn't a hai...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Filthy. Turned down the sheets at 11 pm To go to bed and there was blood, hair and other stains on the sheets. Called the front desk to change rooms, they brought me a new envelope which I assumed had keys for the new room. When I arrived at the new room, NO KEYS! Unacceptable cleanliness.

• Stayed: May 2012
Comfort Suites La Vista-Omaha
My Place Hotel-South Omaha/ La Vista, NE
Best Western Plus Kelly Inn
New Victorian Inn & Suites

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Omaha La Vista? Share your experiences!