“Hardly anyone can help you”

Holiday Inn Kearney
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Kearney
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our family was excited to stay here on our trip home from visiting family for the holidays. The water park they offer was very appealing for a family with lots of kids who will be tired of sitting in the car. However, we never got to find out.

I will start with the positive and say that for a large family they offer 3 different kinds of suites, one of which even has two bathrooms, and that their rates for these rooms is really quite good for rooms of this type. Considering that all 3 types of room were available for the night we wished to stay there should really have been no problem.

When I called to make reservations I was told that I needed to speak to someone else to make a reservation for the room. I asked why as I have never encountered that before and was simply told 'not everyone can make reservations for suites'. I was transferred to leave a message for someone. After doing so I began to think there had been a misunderstanding. Based on the things that had been said to me it almost sounded as if they thought I was trying to plan an event or book a block of rooms. I called back to see if I could clear things up. I was told that there was no misunderstanding, 'not everyone can make reservations for suites'. I was then able to talk to someone who could. I did ask why and explained that seemed very odd since the front desk could check their availability for me and could book a regular room for me. Again I was simply told 'not everyone can make reservations for suites'. I guess I will always wonder about that.

I did attempt at this point to make a reservation but was informed that payment in full needed to be made at the time of reservation. I asked if that was the policy for the hotel in general and she said it was not, that was just for their suites. I then asked about their cancellation policy. I was concerned because we were traveling from the north in January. She told me that for normal rooms the policy was 24 hours, but that for their suites it was 3 days. At this time I chose not to continue as that was too risky when traveling such a distance. While the woman I spoke with was friendly enough, the attitude I experienced made me feel as if she, and the other two staff I spoke to, thought they were doing me a favor by allowing me to stay there. No thank you.

The policies here were just very strange and not at all easy to work with. I admit, with a big chain like the Holiday Inn I expect to be able to call, make a reservation and be on my way. All this rigamarole was more than I had time for and we will be staying elsewhere in town where it took less than 5 minutes to make a reservation to have us and they were very welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
HIKRNY, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you so much for bringing these issues to our attention, and I'm very sorry for the frustruation you must have felt when trying to book a suite for your familly. Because we have a variety of suites to offer our guests and each one has a uniqueness of it's own, it is imperative that we explain what amenity each individual suite contains to best suit our guest's needs. For this reason we select individuals that are "veteran" employees of the hotel and who are very familiar with the vast differences in the suites. We have recently done an extensive remodel on all of our suites, and because of cost and value we do require a deposit at time of booking.
Again, please accept my apology for any confusion and frustruation that this caused you and your family. Please feel free to contact me via email with any further questions you may have. We do hope that you will return to Kearney and choose Holiday Inn and our Water Center as a destination for your family!
Tye
Guest Relations-Holiday Inn, Kearney
tye.eatherton@younes.com

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Kearney

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Can't wait to go again!! The Pool is worth going for alone! Great get away in the middle of winter! Nicely maintained and easily located just off I-80. We didn't get a chance to try the restaurant, but heard good things about it! Look forward to the next visit!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Decent rooms. No roll away beds at hotel so plan accordingly. Indoor pool is fun for kids aged 1-12. Restaurant at hotel has some great wine deals an food is actually quite good. Overall it was solid.

• Stayed: November 2012
HIKRNY, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you very much for this great review! I'm glad that your family enjoyed the water park and the restaraunt! Please come visit us again very soon!
Tye

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We planned our Husker weekend trip to include this hotel on our to-do list (for the slides in the pool area). The staff at this hotel have always been exceptional and the front desk people didn't disappoint. The kids enjoyed the slides and the large TV in the room (they brought their PS3 with them). I liked the choice of free DVD's at the front desk - nice touch. We ate breakfast in the morning and had the buffet. Our grape juice had varying degrees of consistency. One was almost flavorless while another kid's juice was very strong. When the server replaced the weaker ones, he brought us back juice that was the same consistency. That showed a lack of attention to detail on his part. The food quality was OK. Dinner is definitely better than breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel a few times and have always had a very pleasant experience. The last time that I actually stayed here was around Christmas time (2011). I became very ill in the middle of the night and had to walk to the front desk for more blankets as I could not seem to stay warm. The woman working at the desk went out of her way to ensure that I was okay. The next morning, the housekeeping ladies came around to do fulfill their daily duties. The two separate gals working, again, brought extra blankets and were very kind on a personal level due to my illness. The room that I stayed in was very clean and comfortable. A second experience that I encountered with this hotel occurred a few weeks ago. I had scheduled a bridal shower at the restaurant in the hotel numerous weeks prior to the day of the event. When I arrived at the hotel, I found out that the restaurant was closed - as a "last minute thing." No one had contacted me and I had sent out numerous invitations for all of the bride's guests to meet at the restaurant for her shower. Panic immediately set in and the girls working at the front desk of the hotel stepped away from their main priorities to ensure that the bridal shower would still be a success. They immediately called their manager (and might I add, the hotel and restaurant are two totally separate entities) and she told them to allow us to use a conference room, brew some coffee, make juice, find pastries, donuts, etc. - whatever they could possibly do for us to make things run smoothly. The staff was exceptional and went above and beyond their call of duty. The manager even drove to the hotel to personally meet with me and apologize for the extremely poor customer service that I received (or lack there-of) from the restaurant. I was completely blown away by the generosity of the staff at the Holiday Inn. If I could find some way to sincerely thank them, I most certainly would. I will definitely be staying here if I ever find myself in Kearney anytime in the near future!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were on the road again and spent the night at the Holiday Inn in Kearney! Very nice room with a comfortable bed! Loved the fridge & microwave! Hubby and I LOVED the free internet! Enjoyable respite from the road!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
HIKRNY, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Patricia,
Thanks so much for your wonderful comments! I'm happy that you were able to have a great nights rest at our Holiday Inn property in Kearney, and we hope to see you again very soon!
Tye Eatherton
Guest Relations

Reviewed July 25, 2012

My family and I stayed here the night of 7/20. The hotel itself is decent enough, but there were a few small dissappointments for us.

For one, they do not offer roll-away beds. The front desk told me they would send up extra blankets and pillows to compensate, which my daughter used to sleep on the floor. These did not arrive for nearly three hours, and when I stopped by the front desk to follow up, the response was "Oh, we didn't realize you wanted them right away." Right. Glad I didn't tell them not to hurry.

The hotel markets the pool and slide area as a waterpark, and it's nice enough, but it was quite a bit smaller than I expected from looking at the pictures on their website. The adult pool isn't all that big, and for 40 minutes of each hour, it's only allowed as a splash down for the slides. If all you want to do is swim, be aware you won't have much time for that.

As mentioned in other reviews, there is no free breakfast (although if I recall correctly, they will comp up to two children for each adult paying in their restaurant). They also don't have coffee makers in the rooms, perhaps to further support the restaurant.

Aside from these let-downs, we had a decent stay. The location is near the interstate and plenty of restaurants, and the beds were comfortable enough for a good night's sleep. However, I expect I will examine other options more closely the next time we pass through town.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Dear mike b,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you liked our hotel location and you found our bed comfortable. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guests. I apologize for the delay of your extra blankets and pillows as well as the lack of coffee makers in your room. I am sorry to hear that the service in our water-park facilities did not live up to your expectations. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and it is our regret that we failed to achieve our goal on this occasion.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Lera M