“Sushi in the middle of Nebraska!”

Gourmet House Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #37 of 112 Restaurants in Kearney
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Japanese and chinese food
Reviewed June 4, 2013

It's not the best Japanese restaurant I've been to, but considering the options in the area, I have returned numerous times. My husband is vegetarian so it's nice to have somewhere that offers tofu dishes. The sushi seems fresh and there is a fairly extensive list. One warning: if you have an MSG sensitivity I think some of the cooked dishes may have it. There have been times that the waiter's grasp of English was so limited that we got things we hadn't ordered, or didn't get things that we had. The cooked food arrives quickly--the sushi always takes a long time. But when you have a craving, this is a wonderful little spot to satisfy it.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The restaurant offers an extensive Asian menu, with both Japanese and some Chinese items. The sushi bar has a decent menu as well. The spicy tuna sushi roll wasn't particularly attractive on the plate, but it was very tasty. The tempura shrimp and veggies were very good as well, as was the salmon.
Prices are higher than for other restaurants in town, but not out of line for Japanese restaurants in larger cities.

1  Thank barbqbill
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We knew that Nebraska would be a difficult destination for us to find a vegan meal. We were hopeful that at a Japanese restaurant, we could at least get a dish emphasizing vegetables. We were sorely disappointed. There was only one item on the lunch menu and one on the dinner menu which was solely vegetarian. Our suggestion that the chef just prepare one of their regular dishes without any meat was met by a rather quizzical look from the waiter. The concepts seem to baffle him. What we did get was pretty salty and a little too oily for our taste. Nothing special for vegans here.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I really wanted to like this place! We LOVE Japanese food and I've always wondered about this location as we pass by it when we're traveling. We were actually wanting to have lunch at the Egg and I in the same complex, but they had just closed. We had been traveling for 7 hours, so we were quite hungry! My husband had to buy something at the Verizon store and they recommended that we go next door, as they liked the food. I see there are two other really positive reviews on here. I think that the people who have reviewed this restaurant so far have had very little experience with Japanese food, as this is one of the worst Japanese places I've been to. First, let me say the positive thing about this place - the people who work here are amazingly nice and provide prompt service. They are definitely the best part about this restaurant. We lived in CA for about 10 years and got to eat at many wonderful, authentic, Japanese/sushi places. One of my personal favorites is a place that we've visited over the last 30 years, now you know that place is good, since it's stayed in business for all those years. We now live in CO and have a few in our town that are pretty good, but still don't compare to the ones in CA. I felt that the food was way overpriced and very mediocre. The miso soup tasted very good, but it's kind of hard to get that one wrong. My husband and I both ordered the special lunch combo platter. It included salad, miso soup, rice, and three choice items. I had the salmon teriyaki, shrimp tempura and California roll. My husband had salmon teriyaki, chicken teriyaki and California roll. The salmon was really not good. It seemed to be very low quality and looked like it was "formed" into its shape - like not real salmon - kind of a like a chicken patty or something like that in the salmon form. The California rolls tasted ok, but you get a very small portion - 4 tiny rolls. The tempura was ok - nothing spectacular. I like tempura lot, so it has to be really bad for me to hate it. My daughter also had a chicken teriyaki kid's meal. She thought it was the best thing that she ever had. So in short, my husband and I were not fans, but our 8 year old thought it was the best. I thought it was way overpriced for what it actually was - our meals were $12 each and hers was $7 (really expensive for a kid's meal). Our total bill was $31.83 plus a $6 tip, so it was like $38 for lunch and did not include any drinks. We had water. If you've never had Japanese food before, you might like this place, but we will not be back - even though my daughter is begging us to go again!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The food at Gourmet House was great tonight. There were 15 people in our group and everyone enjoyed what they ordered. From sushi. udon noodles to tempura. The sweet potato tempera was especially wonderful. Service, however needs improving.