“Clean and comfortable”
Review of Motel 6 Kearney

Motel 6 Kearney
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Kearney
Reviewed October 7, 2011

This is one of the nicer Motel 6's that I have visited. It appears to have been newly painted and renovated. It has interior corridors, a step up from the usual exterior doors. I was traveling with my pet, and I really appreciated no extra pet charge. At other hotels on this trip, we have had to pay $10 - $20 extra per night to stay in a "pet room" that is not as nice as a regular room.

The staff was extra friendly and helpful. I arrive during a tornado warning and they offered shelter downstairs.

Yes, it is very basic as it is a Motel 6, but for the price, I think it was an excellent value.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Sara9889

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Stayed here just to sleep while on a cross country trip. The room was clean and acceptable for it's purpose. I wouldn't recommend staying for longer than a night though, as this is very basic accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We found the rooms to be clean and comfortable but very basic: no clock, no coffee pot, small towels. It's conveniently located near eating establishments as well as the Interstate but road noise was non-existent. It smelled smokey near the outside doorways, but the room was fine.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed March 19, 2010 in room 128. We've stayed at a number of Motel 6's previously and knew what to expect in our room. It also rated decently on the Trip Advisor site and was inexpensive for the area. The staff, Barb, who booked our room and checked us in was very polite. She even offered to make us an early pot of coffee before we left at 6 am that morning. I booked a smoking room and, oh boy, the room had a powerful smoke odor that hit me in the face like a hammer when I walked in. We got used to it/managed to ignore it somewhat after awhile and running the air. The hotel was booked solid that night, so there was no possibilty of getting another room. The room itself was clean and functional with a comfortable bed and a good location, with the room immediately next to an exit, which was a plus. We arrived around 1:30 am after driving 4 hours through bad winter weather and were bushed. We left at 6 am to see the local Sand Crane migration, however we would have left early anyway as someone flushed a toilet in another room around 4 am and a powerful odor flooded our room. My girlfriend couldn't sleep after that, even with a pillow over her face and the air running. Given the smell issues, I could still grudgingly give this motel stay 2 stars for the staff, location and clean bathroom and bedroom (and being very forgiving with regard to the smell), however dealing with the manager had an air of dodginess, requiring 4 phone calls from myself and 2 from my girlfriend before we could nail him down to address the issues we experienced. The desk staff said that they couldn't do anything for us and regularly pointed us to the manager. Twice he said that he would call back at a certain time but didn't. He later left a message with his cell phone number. He eventually gave us a half rate for the room, however he said that the room smelled fine (maybe if you pinched your nose shut while showering the room in Febreeze!) but somehow found out that someone in a room near us had some "issues" the night of our stay, for which he said he would allow a discounted stay, not for the alleged smokiness of the room (it was strong enough to stop both of us in our tracks at the door and ask each other if we could stay there for the night). He stated that there had only been one other plumbing issue in the motel during his three years as manager there...perhaps just our bad luck. If you decide to stay here, I strongly recommend that you choose a non-smoking room. My girlfriend would give our stay a 0 star rating, however I felt that Barb did what she could to make this stay more pleasant, so 1 star from me.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2009

To make a long story short. When I went into my room there was a strong odor of smoke. And I was in a non-smoking room. My room had a urine smell in it to. The day staff was rude and not friendly. Were as the night staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed December 7, 2008

My daughter and I stay at this hotel every spring when we visit Nebraska for the annual crane migration. We stay on average about a week each year. The first year we stayed at another chain which was very nice but also very expensive.

We've had absolutely no problems with this hotel, and it's been very clean and the staff have always been friendly. The rates are wonderful and they have an elevator if you get a room on the second floor. They're also close to the highway but not too close, which is important for us during those early morning jaunts to see the cranes. They're also close to the Great Platte River Road Archway. We'll be staying there again next year for the migration!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We roadtripped halfway across the country this summer and noticed an alarming number of motels that allow pets. I myself am a multiple pet owner and animal lover. I do however draw tha line at pet pee stains on the carpet of my hotel room. At the Motel 6 in Kearney, NB. , we checked in rather late after a full day of driving. The kids were already tucked into bed when I started noticing the pee smell coming from the carpet between the beds. Not wanting to drag my exhausted kids to another room at 11:00 pm, I planned to mention the smell to the front desk the next day and ask for a discount on the room. The next day, I awoke to find my daughter's stuffed animal had fallen off the bed and had picked up the disgusting pee smell! EEWW!! The staff was very kind and discounted the room. My question is this: why don't these places offer Non-pet rooms as well as Non-smoking rooms? It's not only the pee issue but what about people who suffer from pet dander allergies?

Stayed: July 2008