“Great Staff, Great Breakfast”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Kearney
boulder, co
“Great Staff, Great Breakfast”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had a very good night's sleep here and a wonderful breakfast in the morning after all the driving we'd been doing. I found a coupon in the hotelcoupons.com booklet which was at a rest stop, but I believe you can access this online. This was a large discount from the phone quote I was given; a big help. We checked in with Judy at the desk who was wearing several hats in addition to front desk (housekeeping, maintenance) but she was as nice as could be! The room was pleasant, but the carpet and stuffed chair were getting pretty badly stained. The bed was very comfortable and the a/c nice and quiet. My husband slept well which is saying a lot. The bathrooms had new granite countertops, but the towels were pretty thin.

The breakfast was a nice surprise because everything was very good: hot oatmeal, fresh bananas, egg frittattas, waffles, potatoes, juice, and good coffee including two varieties of regular: medium and dark!! There were also other items like several kinds of non-sugary cereals, biscuits, fruit, 2% and skim milk and yogurt. This was all served on nice plates in a pleasant dining area.

Room Tip: Third floor was nice and quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear landlockedincol,

Thank you so much for completing this review. We appreciate all of your comments about your stay. We will pass them on to our staff. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We take guest feedback very seriously. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and for future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Country Inn & Suites Kearney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The location is great if you're traveling through Nebraska - right off the interstate with lots of restaurants within walking distance (Red Lobster is across the parking lot). The breakfast was good with lots of choices - waffles, biscuits and gravy, eggs and sausage, fruit, cereal, toast, pastries, oatmeal, etc. The pool was too chlorinated and in a cramped room. When we turned on the jets in the hot tub it burned our eyes and noses. Fairly quiet but you can always count on rude people slamming their doors at all hours. We turned on the bathroom fan all night to drown out any door noise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear laewagne,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We appreciate all of your thoughts and concerns. We apologize for your concerns with the pool area. We are very sorry for any inconvenience that this caused you. We appreciate all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to our hotel to make it better for you, and for future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for staying with us. We apologize for your stay. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will stay with us in the future.

Oregon
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We've stayed at other Country Inn properties and have enjoyed them very much. The hotel in Kearney, though, is feeling a little run down. It seems to be heavily used, at least in the summer, and can't quite handle the traffic. The hotel was full the night we stayed, and the breakfast area couldn't handle the demand. (And, interestingly, a skimpy breakfast--no fruit, yogurt was gone, cereal kept running dry.)

The room was clean and comfortable. It had a fridge and microwave. And we had a quiet night. As with all midwestern hotels, it seemed overpriced, but that's a matter of supply and demand, I guess. If the hotel's full, then they can charge what they want!

Go ahead and stay here. It's just fine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear ElmiraOregon,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. Thank you for telling us about your concerns about the breakfast service. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. We are always looking for better ways to make this service better . Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

The rooms are ok, nothing special. The color scheme of green & orange is very 70's. The pool area was dirty, the smell of chlorine was almost suffocating, especially since the air did not seem to be working in there. Someone had put a regular floor fan in the window but it could not keep up. Not a pleasant environment. Our biggest issue was that the air conditioner quit during our stay. In July. In Nebraska. During a record high heat wave. We tried to talk to the staff but no one ever came to work on it. We had to ask for a fan. The entire hotel was booked along with every other hotel in town so we had no choice. As we were leaving after a night of relatively no sleep on our way to my son's tournament, I stopped to once again speak to the front desk just to be sure no one else got stuck in that room. I basically got a "huh, that's too bad" as he played with his deck of cards. He could have cared less. I was not offered any type of an apology nor a discount of any kind. I felt extremely offended at his attititude. Then to add insult to injury, when my husband appeared he did not say he was sorry but did say that he would talk to his manager about a small break in price (which has not occurred). He knew we were together yet never said that to me. So, near as I can tell, women are discriminated against here as well. I, and my family, who travel frequently will NEVER stay not only at this particular place again but in any of their other locations. I use Trip Advisor frequently, but have never posted a review. This was so bad I felt I had no choice.

• Stayed July 2012
Carlson Hotels C, Specialist, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We would like to discuss this matter further with you. We ask that you please contact us at ccare@carlsonrezidor.com at your earliest convenience.

We look forward to hearing from you!
Colorado
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here one night when we needed to be in Kearney. We had never stayed in this chain before. We will stay in the chain again, as we were happy with our stay.

The King Suite room was very comfortable and practical. The bedroom was a separate room with a door which provides privacy to sleep while my wife was up early.

The hotel is clean, well maintained, and we found the staff to be helpful and friendly.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The King Suite is a fine room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear johndeerguy59,

Thank you for telling about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments about the hotel. We appreciate all guest feedback.. We are so glad that you enjoyed the Country Inn. We will pass all your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you so much for staying with us. We hope that if you come to the area again that you will come stay with us again. Thank you for your time.

Kearney, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I got married on May 5th of this year, and we booked rooms here for our guests. They had the book 10 free rooms get your bridal suite deal. I also blocked off rooms at the Motel 6 next door, so our guests could have the option of a moderate or a budget hotel.

We got our 10 rooms no problem, as my husbands family is rather large. There was some confusion about the conference room--I guess, you get it free for four hours during your wedding weekend, and I mistakenly assumed that I had booked it for the morning after the wedding so we could have a private brunch with our family. Turns out, I had NOT booked the room, and didn't find out until 3 weeks before the wedding. I was by this point, a shrieking Bridezilla, and didn't need a hiccup like this so close to the wedding. I was mean and rude to the darling hotel manager who had been so helpful the entire time. When I realized after reading the chain of emails we had exchanged over the previous months, that it was my mistake entirely, I felt terrible. This poor woman had bent over backwards to help me, and offered me the room any other time, as it was already spoken for on Sunday morning.

The hotel was more than wiling to put our gift bags in the guest rooms, and even told us that guest from the other hotel could join us for breakfast if we found a way to identify them-such as a ticket, and we could just pay a small price ($7 each) for them to enjoy the hot breakfast bar.

We found the hotel very clean, very nice traditional decor and the desk help was very pleasant.
The hot breakfast bar was more than ample, and I actually ate two big plates of food, since I all but forgot to eat on our wedding day and was starving that morning.

I must say that I had a very hard time sleeping in the hotel. Partly due to events of the day, but mostly because the bridal suite is located directly above the swimming pool, and the smell of the pool and hot tub chemicals were almost more than I could bear.

My groom was up wandering around the hotel most of the night so I could get some sleep, and he found the hotel to be well lit, well staffed, and even had cookies and fresh coffee all night long.

My only other issue with this place is that the tables in the breakfast room were arranged in such a way that it made navigating the room when full very difficult.

They gave our guests an exceptional discount for being in our wedding block, however. A busy weekend in our town, with more than one school graduation, but the normal rate of $130 was reduced to $92 for our guests. We did set up the block many months in advance though.

So, if you don't mind smelling pool chemicals on your wedding night, this is a great place for you and your wedding party and guests in Kearney Nebraska.

Room Tip: Ask if they have more than one hot tub suite,( I don't know, I failed to ask) and if they do, do...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Julie B,

Thank you for telling us about your visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We are so glad that we could accommodate you during your wedding events. Congrats to you and your husband. Groups are always welcome at our hotel and we do our best to accommodate all of the things they ask for. We also provide a discounted rates for groups that book with us. We do rent out the conference room. Groups must reserve this well in advance. We are glad the we could make other arrangements for your breakfast. Thank you for telling us of your stay and we hope that you will look to us again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed at the Country Inn in Kearney, NE several weeks ago. After traveling almost 15 hours in one day, we were hoping to find a reasonably priced hotel that offered comfy and noise-free rooms; however we found more than that! This Country Inn is perhaps the best hotel we've stayed in in years! Upon checking in, we were greeted by the super-friendly staff that had no trouble checking us in. They also let us use a coupon we had found online. Our rooms, beds, and bathrooms were all really clean and fresh! The only odd thing about our stay is the squeaky/noisy bath tubs when standing on them. The breakfast at the hotel offered many choices including scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, homemade waffles, cereal, bagels, muffins, toast, coffee, water, and fruit juices. We enjoyed our stay so much, they we actually changed the route of our vacation so that we found be able to stay here one more time, rather than going to another hotel. I cannot thank the staff at this Country Inn enough!

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevator, stairs, and ice machine. The 3rd floor was the quietest.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear Bob L,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments about your visit with us. We are so glad that you have came back or you are still going to. Thank you so much for all of your nice compliments we will pass them on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you for also telling us about your concern about the bathtub. We appreciate all guest feedback because it helps make the necessary changes to improve our service.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,,