“Worth a stop in Kearney for this restaurant”

Suwannee Thai Cuisine
Ranked #2 of 111 Restaurants in Kearney
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A fusion of flavors from both the north and the south parts of Thailand come together in this wonderful family owned Thai restaurant
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Kearney just happened to be our overnight stopping point for a fall road trip. Being couple of seniors, we do not push ourselves too hard and besides, we love hitting our "pause" button ... cruise controlled interstate travel just doesn't do it for us! We had a museum & an art gallery on the agenda for next morning because the last leg of the trip was about 6 hours. At the art gallery (MONA, 'downtown' Kearney), which is small but had an interesting limited exhibit on women and a photo exhibit, both interesting, we asked student-looking young people where was a good place to eat lunch. They had no opinion but referred us to their youthful professor coming behind them. He recommended this restaurant. He did say it was not exactly easy to find, and that's true. You need a GPS. We did not use ours because he offered to be a 'pilot car' for us and we followed. The restaurant is close to the UNK campus. He had to eat lunch anyway, so, when asked to join us, he did! So, sometimes, I am not sure the food was as good as it was because the company was wonderful, or the food is wonderful and just enhanced the company! Other reviews that comment on possibly slow service can be true. We had to wait but not that long and it gave all of us additional time to talk about art & education & get some bios on one another. Wait is worth it. The food is excellent. Just excellent! We did not get out of Kearney until nearly 2pm! But it was a "pause" highlight & we plan on stopping any time we are in Kearney, Nebraska. State welcome sign should probably say HOME OF SUWANNEE THAI Restaurant. Don't forget to visit the Great Platte River Museum and if into art, check out the gallery. And stay for lunch or dinner at Suwannee Restaurant. We always strike "gold" of restaurants by asking locals! We struck gold in meeting a very nice UNK art instructor! This is traveling at its best!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Kearny is full of American type steak and grill resturants and chains, but if you want something special and Asian, this is the place. As some have noted, the service can be a bit slow (but its steady), and though we ate at 5PM, there were people waiting for a table by 5:30, so be ready, BUT its worth it.
The food was just excellent with the chef showing a great touch with blending Thai flavors. I eat all over Asia, so I'm not easily impressed. Everthing we tried was excellent, including the sticky rice desert. If you like Asian you must eat here. Ambiance and price were both modest. If you are looking for cheap asian food, hit a chain, but its not top dollar either, think Chilli's type prices.
You can also call ahead - they do a big take out business

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is easily one of the best places to eat in all of Kearney and I have a feeling it will stay that way for a long time. The service isn't exactly A+, they can be slow and not very attentive but the food is worth it. I usually always order take-out and I usually always order the Calamari because, for being in the dead center of the United States, they cook it perfectly and it always tastes fresh. They never fry it up until I get there, to make sure that it doesn't get soggy sitting in the box. The Sweet Thai Chili sauce is amazing and I wish I could figure out what they use to make it, the brand or something of that sort. because it is so good.

Everything you get there is just amazing, I don't think I have ever had a bad meal. My husband, who used to hate Thai food, doesn't crave it yet, but doesn't complain when I ask him if we can go there for lunch either. He loves the fried rice and the curry, showing you there really is something for everyone here. The service when you dine in is completely worth it when you get the food on the table.

1  Thank SquishyAbbers
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is some of the best Thai food and by far the best in Nebraska. The service is friendly, quick, and efficient. Prices are great.

1  Thank lhan2013
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I recently discovered an affinity for Thai food and wanted to give this place a try. The location is keen for the UNK students but off the beaten path for everyone else. I was not exactly blown away by my meal. The Vientiane in Grand Island has superior food.

Been to Suwannee Thai Cuisine? Share your experiences!