“Fake, Commerical and a complete waste of space”

Great Platte River Road Archway Monument
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Kearney
More attraction details
Owner description: Spanning Interstate 80 - formerly the Great Platte River Road - that connects east to west, this archway holds 79,000 square feet of exhibits on the route's evolution and importance.
Reviewed November 27, 2013

First off the 'fort' look is more upstate New York, than the Great Plains of Nebraska. We are supposed to buy stone and big logs here? Secondly if you don't stand in just the right spot you can't hear the description of the thing you are viewing. Avoid...Avoid.. Avoid!

3  Thank DowneastCornhusker

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I thought this was going to be another cheesy tourist trap but my parents just raved about it so my husband, my son and I decided to visit on our way from Cleveland to Denver. It is amazing! The immersion experience, with stories from the settlement of the west playing through headphones, well, you felt like you were witnessing history. My adult son has Down syndrome and I wasn't sure how much he would get out of it but he was entranced and is still talking about it 2 months later. The buffalo stampede was his favorite. He also liked the thunderstorm. Would love to return someday during summer to see the outside displays too.

3  Thank SallieK
Reviewed November 9, 2013

It is a historical from through time, chronicling the westward migration over the Great Platte River Road.

1  Thank ds735
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Very good, interactive exhibits.

It's very well done and worth an hour or two.

There are restaurants and it's a great road-trip break.

1  Thank ThePackedBag
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The archway was not at the top of our list, but glad we went. It is two stories of history. The staff was friendly and helpful. Even got the Marshall to take our friend's phone away from him. Enjoyed all the displays. We all agreed that we would rather take the time to read more and lose the headphones. The souvenir shop didn't do a lot for us. We did get our pictures taken. Take the time to get some fish food and go over to the bridge to feed the fish. They're monsters. It is clean inside and out.

1  Thank Steve K