Lotus Desaru Beach Resort
  • Breakfast included
Chalet D'Punggai(Kota Tinggi)
  • Pool
  • Pool
Amansari Hotel Desaru(Bandar Penawar)
  • Restaurant
Average 3/5
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsseafood restaurantrhu barcoffee houseroti canaibanana boatshort getawaybuffet breakfastmicrowave ovenyoung kidsdesaru fruit farmdining tablebeach barsataybig resortlocal foodgreat resortspacious room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We ( 6 of us; both parents, husband and me, and 2 girls) stayed from 20 June 2010 to 22 June 2010 in a 3-bedrooms apartment (M209). Shortly after we check-in to our room, we went out to explore the hotel facilities/surroundings. It was only about 3 hours when we came back to find my new pair of slippers MISSING and my luggage was being opened with our things being searched. My elder girl's 2 new T-shirts were MISSING too!!! We reported to the operation manager but all he did was came up to our room to have a look and asked what was missing. Later another man came up to checked the room-key system and then NOTHING was done after that!!!!

Reviewed June 22, 2010

We also stayed 20-21 June. Totally agree -> Don't expect 5-star service for 3-star charges.

First of all, this is NOT a NEW hotel. This is the old Desaru Impiana Resort which has been abandoned for years. Last year, we drove pass the abandoned hotel when driving to Pulai Desaru further down the road. The Lotus group brought over the hotel and I guessed did some touching up and re-marketing - this is the Lotus Desaru we are seeing now.

We checked-into a one bedroom apartment but switched to a two bedroom apartment after few hours (long story). Do note that all the one bedroom apartments has the bed area on a split level so there is a small stairways in the room. We do not like this room arrangement and also, the room we were given has obviously been not used for a while.

The two bedroom apartment is much better. It has a double-bed room and a twin room (see my photo), the largest and coldest fridge I have ever seen in a beach resort (it kept all our drinks icy cold).

Some notes :
* The resort is big and the blocks are organised like a U-shape. The lobby at the open end, the beach at the closed end. There's free shuttle service (golf buggy) plying the two ends but it is just 200m+ to walk.
* The blocks and walkways closer to these two ends are looking good and with guests, the blocks further away are still being refurbished. The area in the middle of the blocks is currently a sorrowful sight but there are works planned (see my photo).
* Breakfast is served at open air cafe next to the main pool. Cafe is clean, comfortable, resort feel. Breakfast is average local fare : Nasi Lemak, Fried Noodles, Prata with curry, Toasts, juices, fruits, coffee, tea BUT there are flies buzzing around. Pool is nice and clean, towel station just next to it.
* The beach is clean, the sand is not Bali or Phuket but it is okay. We like the beach side bar (see my photo). The sea is too choppy to swim in but you can see get the sun,sand,sea experience and lounge on the deck chairs. There is a big & good shower area to wash sand off your feet and body. While we were there, they were installing permanent beach huts on the beach, you can see that from background of my photo [ these are some of the things that Pulai Desaru doesn't offer]
* Food is okay, not excellent. Main course are RM15-25. Looking at the crowds at breakfast, lunch, dinner, my guess is most of the guest drives out to nearby places for meals. We didn't bother. Food is served at Main Cafe (breakfast also) and a Chinese Seafood restaurant, Beach Bar (same menu as cafe). A small crab at the Chinese Seafood restaurant is RM20 (see my photo).

The staff has the right attitude but efficiency and standards are not quite at international level. Overall, this resort is a good value for money at the moment. When it is fully refurbished, I guess prices will go up much more. If you are visiting Desaru now, this resort is worth a go.

4  Thank pixieSG
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed here 20-21 June. First the GOOD comments:

(i) Very reasonably-priced room tariff. We paid only USD 58-00, inclusive, breakfast for 2.

This room had a partial sea view.

(ii) The staff were very friendly and service-oriented.

(iii) Excellent pool for adults and kids. The water had the right temperature and were the right size.

(iv) Food & Beverage was reasonably priced. I have stayed at resort hotels (usually located far away from urban areas) in Asia which charge reasonable room rates... but make their KILLING on Food & Beverage.

The lunch and dinner buffets at the Lotus cost only US$9.50 and US$12.50 respectively... and were VERY GOOD... and,,, if you're lucky, you can grab a table with good view of the sea.

(v) Nice beach... not EXCELLENT... just"Nice".

Now the not-so-good observations:

(i) The hotel is suppossed to be new... BUT... it's very clear they have used a lot of cheaper material for construction.

Unless, management spends a ton on maintenance, I don't see how quality of the buildings will stand the test of time. In fact, as things stand, the buildings lack charm and look hostel-like.

(ii) They charge for things such as extra towels (they gave us 2... but we had 2 small kids with us)... they even charged for the baby cot...and they charge for the gym...

(iii) The driver didn't bother to wait for us on our arrival at the ferry terminal... yes we were the last to come out... but...

... we had written confirmation from the hotel that they would pick us up... and I had already paid for this service.

I called the hotel and the driver turned back and got to us 30-40 minutes later.

He should have shown initaitive and checked to make sure all passengers had cleared immigration and customs before deciding to run off... you can imagine our frustration and disappointment on arrival...AND...

... NO ONE (including driver) BOTHERED TO APOLOGIZE!

At the end of the day, given that they're chaging very reasonable rates, the "downsides" are more than tolerable. Don't expect 5-star service for 3-star charges.

I like this hotel and I will be back...

Raj Chotrani,
Singapore

3  Thank raj_chotrani
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My 2nd visit to the resort after my 1st visit in Dec 09. Room rate are considerably cheap compared to the facilities and amenities offered. The beach is clean with crystal clear water and golden sandy beach. Numbers of beach activities are also available with reasonable charges such as boat riding, banana boat, jet ski etc. Don't go during monsoon season (Nov - Dec) cause it is so windy and not suitable for beach activities.
Go now while it still new.....possible the rate will be increased after the Senai - Desaru Highway is completed (under conscturction now)

2  Thank ImanJohorBahru
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Stayed for 3D2N (Sat - Mon). Reached the Resort at 11am but was told that room was not ready and we tried our luck again at 12.10pm and managed to check in.

We stayed at the one bedroom facing the water park. Room is clean, air-con is powerful, there's microwave, kettle, fridge, plates, cups, forks, spoons in the room. 1 common toilet on the first floor and another toilet with bathtub on the second floor. Overall is ok except the water are yellowish when we first turn on, we have to let it run for awhile before it turns clear but it is fine with us.

Their F&B oulets - coffee house and Chinese restuarant, 1 lounge and 1 outdoor cafe. We dine at their coffeehouse most of the time as we didnt find out that there is a chinese resturant until our last day. They should have signage to indiate. The Chinese restuarnt don't even has any name or signboard.

Their facilities - one water park with slides and artifical waterfall and water playground. Families with kids will love it. But i find that the water there is very dirty and cloudy. Can't even see my legs and body when we were inside the water. They also have an adult and children swimming near the sea. The water there is very very very clean and clear. They also have children playroom for the kids - indoor with aircon and outdoor.

They also have facilities/games for rental such as table tennis, pool table, carom, DVD player with DVDs and etc. There is also a mini mart at the lobby, prices are reasonable, slightly cheaper or similar as Singapore prices.

The only thing which we are unhappy is the F&B. Things get very messy when they have few groups in house. The breakfast was in a mess, we were asked to eat in function room which we think is fine. But there was insufficent food, juices, bowls and glasses. Everything have to wait. We waited and waited. Then during the dinner, we were asked to change table 3 times in the coffee house and the 3rd time we were asked to sit at the outdoor cafe near the beach. When we went there we found that the prices there are higher than the coffeehouse. I asked the staff there why the price is different then he replied that "The price here is like that! If you want to eat here you have to accept it, you don't ask me why." I was so angry that i walked back to the coffee house and demanded that i want to eat there! The staff who waited on us apologise straight away and allowed us to sit there. We had all our meals at the coffeehouse. Overall the food is salty and small portion and lack of varities but the prices are reasonable from RM10 to RM32.

Overall very happy with their services. All staff at the resort are friendly especially the Indian staff at the Front Office and the mini mart. The prices at the resort are reasonable as well, they don't charge very high like other resort.

If you ask me whether will i come again and i would say YES.

3  Thank SforSingapore