“Deplorable management. .Apology not offered”

Lotus Desaru Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bandar Penawar
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

My family are frequent visitors to this establishment as my children enjoy the facilities available.
This year we brought visitors from the US along with us. We booked a 2bedroom apartment frm 10th to 12th December 2013.
I appreciate the early check-in that was granted (1030am ! ).The newly renovated check-in counter at the club-house gives the resort a touch of class too, as did the new lobby and games house.
However we were disappointed with the rooms .Room A308 gave a wonderful view of the waterpark but the main tap produces a loud guttering noise each time someone uses the kitchen sink !!
Imagine having the noise in the night, sleep was far from restful ! The aircon n toilets were working fine..no complaints there.
The waterpark really needs a lot of improvement.
1.The metalsteps at the kids pool near the exit of the water slide is rusty and shaky. The top step will definitely not be able to take an adult's body weight.
We pointed it out to a duty personnel at the pool but he did not seem bothered to even investigate or report to the pool maintenance supervisor.
2.Waterslide ..some parts of the paint were peeling off the slides.
My 12 years old son was riding the slide on 11th December when he suddenly cried in pain. He was limping as a large fragment of the paint had speared underneath his big toenail and gotten embedded there. Attempts to remove it failed as the fragment had entered the nail bed. No lifeguard came to our assistance. We managed to calm him down after 10mins and he hobbled up to our room.
The toe was bleeding and my son suffered intense pain throughout the night.Luckily I brought some painkillers and antibiotic tablets administer to him.
Upon checking out on Thursday 12December I requested to see the duty manager. I was referred to Mr Selvakumar who did not even apologise for the mishap. He quickly got an assistant to bring my son to the first aid room. Thereafter Mr Selva vanished! He did not even bother to follow through the case nor enquire after my son's condition.
The paramedic at the first aid room took pictures of my son's foot ,and knew that we had to bring my son to the nearest hospital. He took down our particulars and told us the problem was too serious for him to assist.The pool supervisor came to the frst aid room and apologised to me.He paid attention to the exact location of the accident I described and apologised to me.
No dressing or medication was offered to my son. This is really appalling.
Even when I returned to the checkout counter, no duty supervisor or manager was there to enquire about my son's condition.
I demanded to complain in writing to the management. The receptionist at the checkout counter provided me with an accident report form which I dutifully filled.
I am extremely disappointed at the lack of professionalism your staff displayed..especially at the duty manager Mr Selva who quickly disappeared after sending us off on a buggy to the first aid clinic.Has he no care or concern for patrons of the resort? How is it no duty officer came to our aid at the pool after the accident? We were not aware of the existence of the first aid clinic...but what good is it if the paramedic on duty is only concerned about taking pictures of the injury and taking down our particulars?
My son has safely undergone a surgery on the injured toe.He had to undergo sedation to allow the Orthopaedic surgeon to remove his entire toenail before all the paint debris can be removed from under his toenail. To prevent further infection to the toe, he has to be on antibiotics and he needs strong painkillers to reduce the intensity of pain experienced.
What a horrible experience we had to go through! We had to cancel our plans to drive up to other parts of Malaysia with our foreign guests, as we knew the murky water in your pools are totally far from being clean. LOTUS Desaru has really disappointed us all, and I doubt if any of my kids will ever want to visit your resort again. As my foreign visitors mentioned, your management should be sued for causing my son's accident. The lack of apology from your management really is something I never expected from an establishment like yours.
You need to train your pool officers ( lifeguards? ) to be attentive to the pool user, especially children.
Mr Selva, the duty manager is really beyond my comprehension.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Rohani S
LotusDesaruBeach, Manager at Lotus Desaru Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear Dr Rohani Saptu, We deeply regret for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us. Our intention was not to ignore your concern. We apologize for the lapse in attending to your needs. We did follow up by sending our recreation manager to the medic room to see you. We have taken note of your incident report you did give at the front desk and have initiated an investigation on the incident and we have rectified the defect. Please let us know your child condition and let us know how we can help you. You can contact me at rdm@lotusdesaru.com
Warm Regards, Selva Room Division Manager

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Lovely place to stay away from busy work.Excellent services rendered by each staff.affordable nice getaway from Singapore. Rooms were good with mezzanine floor ,good water park play for kids. Swimming pools well maintained. Excellent sea view restaurant. Many indoor activities so that kids don't get bored. Nearby only few shops available Eco Rm 2 shop is good and few clothing and super markets available very moderate shopping can be done. Very good place to stay

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank vindiya
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We took a double bedroom suite. I think they should provide an iron inside the room as we need to go to the ironing room for ironing & that room was horror. The breakfast buffet selection was ok, it would be better if they have various food choice since the price we paid was a bit pricey. Since it was a rainy season when we came, so not much of activities can be done. The kids enjoyed the waterpark, but the beach are'nt that beauty.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2013

About Lotus the less said the better – they call themselves the best hotel in town, f they are so I dread to think what the others are. If the hotel can be described in three words its Massive and filthy.
You enter Lotus you see a huge block of flats and loads of cars… the check in and check out process is a nightmare. They will give you only one access card to the rooms… you ask for more you don’t get as they run out. If you survive the long walk to your room and the steep climb of your split level room to your bath room you will notice there are only two bath towels – no face towels, no hand towels and no toiletries, If you call and ask for towels they charge you RM 5 per towel.
The restaurants are massive looks like a community feeding center. The breakfast is seen to be believed – people literally pusing against each other to get some really inedible food.
I should mention their crown jewel, the water park… the water is FILTHY!! You have everything from wrappers to food floating in there… the water is so dirty that you can even see the floor of the shallowest part. It stinks ( no not of chlorine but something really foul). They have a long slide called lazy river… there are timings to the slide… once it is time they switch it off the water even if there are people going down the slide… In my two days I have seen several accidents due to this… bruises… serious bumps for people bumping against each other… falls as people had to walk down the slide – Horrible , I didn’t let my children get in the second day and one of the kids in our group got badly hurt.
The see food restaurant – everything including black perpper crab tasted like desert… it was so sweet, seems they seem to use salt for sugar. The staff messed up the orders… drinks never arrived. If they could not handle a group of 10 people I wonder what they are capable of.
That said there are a few glimpses of brilliance – the housekeeping staff is great. Waiters in the coffee shop were also good and so was the Malaysian food at the coffee shop. In the evening they try to keep everyone engaged with music and coordinated dancing staff which is also good effort.
Overall, I am not coming back definitely!

Room Tip: I wouldnt suggest you go to this hotel, If you must take a room in the G or H block. Its the closest...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Our one nite stay was an awesome one topped up with such a pleasant hospitality from the moment we stepped into this family friendly palace. All our requests were answered immediately. Wheelchairs are available for the elderly. Dinner and breakfast was a spread. It was worth the value.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank LailaFlowerPower
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The building looks like a jail than a castle for us.
We came during long weekend so it was over crowded, we stand more than 1 hour before finally reached the receptionist since the queue was like a giant snake

Room was well design with living room downstairs & bedroom upstairs, each room had a bathroom, only the room smell was like a fish farm.

Nothing excited us here, even though they had some facility such as swimming pool, water sport, cycling rent, etc, the pool was dirty & was full with people-kids + you need to fight and wait just to get a beach towel

Inside the resort, they had 2 restaurant and bar, but their food and service was awful + overpriced, the next eve we decide booked a taxi and go out to the near village just to had a fresh seafood dinner & for a drink we walked down to their neighbor resort.......

Breakfast was terribly mess, dirty tables, plates, cold meal + coffee with unfriendly staff and if the long weekend excuse them to not do a good services, "to the management", please don't stated your place as a resort....

Overall, probably it's a fairy tale castle only for a kids, they will voluntary happy and love to add more mess I guess :p

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ratih_Martial
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here twice for Cycling Events. It is a low budget resort style hotel but offers everything you need for a night or two. Cant imagine staying longer than a weekend. Waterpark is nice but gets boring for the kids after a while. Evening entertainment very limited. Finding elevators and rooms can be tricky. Not sure who did the numbering. Stay away during holidays as it will turn into a Chinese capital with more people than you can imagine. Checking out and in can take a while. There is no room service and if they decide to send something to your room it will take a while.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Changi Cove Singapore
Changi Cove Singapore
#102 of 317 in Singapore
Village Hotel Changi by Far East Hospitality

Been to Lotus Desaru Beach Resort? Share your experiences!