“Nice place for a short stay”
other travelers have booked this property
Dining Area
Bedroom One
Bedroom Two
Bedroom Three
Rear with barbecue area
Patio area with storage shed
Sea view from the park
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

London, United Kingdom
“A big inconvenience”
Reviewed January 25, 2017 for a stay in January 2017
people found this review helpful

During my stay, I found the owner very helpful. I called/texted him on two occasions and he had no issue replying almost immediately. Even beforehand I asked lots of questions which he answered promptly. There were, however, a number of issues:

The electricity meter was hard to operate which was one of the reasons as to why we called the owner, so he explained what the issue was. After having it explained it was simple to work however I feel as though I should have received instructions beforehand to make things easier. This also applies to the shower too which was a bit confusing however after playing around with it for a while we got the hang of it. The only other complaint is also about the electricity meter: it ran out after 2 hours max; this would probably not be an as big inconvenience in the summer but me and my friends used around £10 in 3 days - we weren’t even given a the starting £1 coin that should have been in there to start with.

A bigger issue for me would be the hygiene: there was limescale in the kettle and some in the shower. A bigger concern for me was the oven where I found food lying on the bottom, probably left over from a previous stay (who knows how long ago) and which I burned as I hadn’t noticed when I’d initially switched on the oven.

Though toilet paper was provided - two half-rolls that were already both used - it was not enough for the 8 people staying at the chalet. The owner should have thought it through and provided more. Furthermore - though this isn’t generally a necessity but merely a curtesy - there wasn’t any soap in the bathroom and we weren’t informed to bring our own.

No rubbish bags were provided so we had to supply our own which was a big inconvenience on the first day as we weren’t warned and so had to improvise by using plastic shopping bags; you can imagine how annoying that was. Moreover, we weren’t informed on when the rubbish was collected or where to put it. By this point, we realised we’d have to figure out a lot of things on our own.

There were also some amenities said to be provided on the the page which simply weren’t: there was no wifi from the chalet itself and there was no hairdryer. If it weren’t for me luckily messaging the owner beforehand asking about the hairdryer, I wouldn’t have known to bring one. Some mugs were broken as well however this wasn’t a massive issue.

Lastly, the morning after we arrived I got a text warning me that the cleaner would come into the chalet to assess the hoover for ‘check up repair’. This really should have been organised before we came to stay as there were 8 of us staying in the chalet, therefore it undoubtedly got dirty quite quickly and we couldn’t even fix as we had no hoover!

Overall, the stay was unorganised on the owner’s behalf and caused a lot of inconveniences. The chalet itself is beautiful but a lot more needs to be done to ensure a completely pleasant stay.

Your age range 18-24
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
cgblake
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Nice place for a short stay”
Reviewed October 4, 2016 for a stay in September 2016

We found this holiday chalet ideal for our short break. On arrival the place was clean and tidy, some of the kitchen pots and pans had seen better days but we're perfectly functional. The location is very quiet and peaceful but was very handy to both Deal and Dover. We would certainly use this property again. There were just a couple of things on the downside one was the shower was blocked with scale as the water in this area is hard water,,so we had to soak it also the floor in the bathroom was very weak and dipped as you step out of the bath,and to get our luggage to the chalet we had to use trolleys as there was no access to vehicles on the site, but ample parking was provided.

Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 65+
Natasha C
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Lovely break”
Reviewed March 12, 2016 for a stay in June 2015

Having visited Kingsdown Holiday Park before, I was curious about the quality of this property. On this occasion I went with a friend and her children. In all there were 2 adults and 6 children and the property was spacious enough for us. I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the accommodation. It's location on the park suited us very well. The kids had a blast and enjoyed all the facilities (swimming, tennis, crazy golf, etc.) and including the retro sweet shop in the post office around the corner. It was a great experience, and a brilliant way to spend quality time with family and friends away from the normal demands of life. The beach was just a stone throw away. All in all it was a very positive and memorable experience and we will certainly use this property again.

Traveling group: Other
Kathryn W
London
“Never received my deposit!! Avoid.”
Reviewed January 17, 2016 for a stay in November 2015
people found this review helpful

This chalet was fine but the pool was closed which we weren't advised of. I have also not been refunded my £100 deposit. I also paid for 3 nights but the cleaner came on the 2nd day and told us we should have checked out. We were happy to leave early. I'm very disappointed that the owner Henry has not replied to any of my mails. I will never stay in this lodge again and I will be going direct to kingsdown to complain.

Alwina V
Lelystad, The Netherlands
“Lodge 110, Kingsdown Holiday park”
Reviewed August 3, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

We stayed at Lodge 110 with 5 adults and two children. We loved the holiday park itself and the surroundings and the countryside were great! a beautiful place to be and wonderful for kids too. The WiFi at the reception was a disaster, though, it was really terrible, so they should really work on that. We could hardly keep in contact with our family at home which was really a pity.
The Lodge was OK. It had everything in it that was necessary, however, the comforters and pillows on the beds were stained and torn here and there which was quite a disappointment to us. We did bring our own bedlinnen as it was stated to do so on the website and the owner mentioned it in his email, but we thought that the comforters and pillows provided would all be nice and clean, which was not always the case. The rest of the house was OK, as I said, not everywhere as clean as it should be and some lack of maintenance here and there, but overall, doable.
The kitchen was well equipped. We did expect a bigger and descent BBQ set, but we found a very small one outside, unfortunately, not suitable for us to use.
Also, it would be handy to explain how things work in the Lodge, for example how the coin meter for electricity works, how to handle the shower and hot water etc. After calling the owner, who was very helpful and friendly on the phone, we did manage to get everything working but it took us quite some time to work it all out. It would have been a lot easier if all these things were explained to us beforehand.
To conclude I say we would surely return to this Lodge if all of the above mentioned things were taken care of. We had a nice holiday and really enjoyed the park, the surroundings and the beautiful countryside in Deal and Dover. We will definitely go back to this holiday park in the future.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the countryside
Liked least: the condition of the pillows and comforters on the beds
Traveling group: Young Children
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
John C
Melbourne, Australia
“Good value in Deal for Accomodation Type and once acclimatised to the quirks”
Reviewed July 6, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

My wife and I spent four nights in early June 2015 in this accommodation. Overall the stay was pleasant, it is value for money type accommodation and I would do it again but on reflection the few downsides which are more frustrations about not knowing, could be largely overcome with better proprietor communication and instruction about the property on offer particularly to prospective international travellers. I notice another recent review for June 2015 that has some similar elements but in our experience and judgement the property was clean. The property is located in a Holiday park and the owner of the property Henry was letting this out under Tripadvisor. The A frame two-story dwellings are all essentially of the same type throughout the Holiday Park from outward appearances at the least. Although not overtly apparent from the Trip Advisor specification one had to provide your own bedlinen and towels and it was well that this advice was provided by Henry after the booking. In fairness, he did offer to see what he could arrange if the Holiday Park itself could not provide rented bedding and towels. As the Holiday Park never answered my enquiry, I decided to take the items with me anyway, which as an international traveller were some extras that were only needed for one circumstance over seven weeks. Also not apparent in the TripAdvisor specification but as pointed out in one of the reviews and by Henry after booking, a coin fed electricity metre is utilised in the accommodation. In the Kingsdown advice brochure that I read in the Lodge upon arrival, many of the Lodges have this facility next to the back door. We arrived in daylight hours but client services was closed, so no one to ask and after some frustration in making what was a rather old looking device accept 1 GBP coins, we got it to work in the absence of instructions and the electricity flowed. Having stayed in many Tourist Parks in Australia and NZ I must say I have never come across this feature in short-stay accommodation, so I assume it is more of a British practice where the colder climate may make heating expenses greater and provide an onus on the user to bear the cost; nonetheless I found it a bit quaint. I would suggest a sign advising “rotate the dial clockwise until a depression appears in the coin slot sufficient to accept a 1 GBP coin, insert coin and then rotate counter-clockwise until you hear the coin drop” would have been a simple but helpful instruction. If you get there after daylight make sure you have a torch or your mobile phone with a torch app with you or you may be fiddling around somewhat longer. However, Henry does provide you with his contact phone number so you could have rung him if needed. Some additional instruction about the equipment in the lodge would have also been helpful, about the bathroom exhaust and kitchen exhaust operating of the same fan back to back and the interconnection of the pull string light switch and switch above the door for the bathroom exhaust. You can work it all out by yourself, but my recent experience of self-contained short-term accommodation in the UK advertised in Tripadvisor is that most proprietors err on the side of more instruction rather than less, just to be helpful to unfamiliar visitors where the obvious doesn’t always immediately dawn on the weary traveller. We didn’t need heating during our stay and a total of 3GBP for electricity for all hot water, cooking, fridge and TV over 4 nights was not a great impost. Access to Wi-Fi and clothes washing is limited to outside of the lodge in the bar area and coin operated laundry facilities of the holiday park respectively. The Wi-Fi is free and serviceable but the bar closes at about 9pm or a little earlier if few people are around, but you can still get access outside of the bar in close proximity. There are 2 bedrooms upstairs and room with bunks downstairs as well as a foldout bed couch in the lounge. With only the two of us it was pretty roomy and comfortable. The beds in the rear top room that we used have a firm foam mould-forming type of mattress which I didn’t mind but my wife found uncomfortable, so they may not be to everyone’s liking. The stairs to the upper bedrooms are very steep providing more of an experience of a ladder rather than stairs, so keep that in mind if your mobility and dexterity is not what it once was. Kitchen facilities were quite serviceable. You will also need to collect a free parking permit from client services by 10 am of the next available morning if you arrive after client services closes and display this on your vehicle and there is a sign advising you of this near client services as you walk into the park. There are also trolleys available for luggage as you exit the car park and enter the Holiday Park itself. The above negative matters I refer to did not deter from the experience of the accommodation but knowing this detail before-hand would have been helpful. The units, while having an adjoining neighbouring property are quite well spread out and there is a security patrol at night. There is a nice walk down from the Park to a shingled beach where there is a pub on the foreshore and the beachfront was a nice location to have a look around after we had spent time at the larger tourist sites in proximity at Canterbury, Dover and a drive down to Rye as well as Deal itself. We found the Holiday Park easily enough with a GPS aided map on our android tablet but it is tucked away in the village area of Kingsdown. On first impression it seems accommodation aimed for the UK domestic summer market but I think it can serve the needs of the international traveller as well, who will get the feel of a UK beachside setting.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location & setting
Liked least: Property service declarations on trip Advisor & paucity of equipment insructions in lodge
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
richard w
“Do not stay at lodge 110 !!! Great location but terrible lodge :(((”
Reviewed June 25, 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

This is the first time I have ever written a review and I felt I had to because of the terrible experience my family and I had! The park itself is great with lots to do in and out of the complex.
Our issue was the lodge 110 :( it was disgusting and we had to clean it ourselves before getting out any of our belongings. Photos I have taken show just how bad it was. Our 2 children's rooms looked like they had never been cleaned with a musky damp smell.
The owner didn't email U.S. Before we arrived so we didn't have a code to get the keys or the info telling us we needed to bring our own towels and linen. Because of this we had to spend £110 in Sainsburys on these items :(((
Also we were not told that we had an electric meter that took one pound coins so within the 5 days staying there it was another £12 on top. The photos of the lodge were old picture that were obviously when it was originally renovated and as you can see from our other pictures the garden was dangerous and disgraceful.
There were many other issues ie loose and broken electrical sockets so in all very unsafe for my family.
Please stay at the location just not this lodge.
Hope this has helped ???

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Jun 26, 2015
Thank you for the feedback comments and can only apologise for the disappointment caused, but wish we could have been informed earlier for the opportunity to effect a better outcome. We make every effort to ensure guests enjoy their stay at the Chalet, arranging professional clean prior to arrival, emailing a welcome note with instructions for check-in/check-out, along with a gentle reminder to bring own linen/towels and £1 coins for the electricity meter. Much of this information is also clearly articulated on the Chalet website, so there should be no surprises for guests on arrival. The rear garden has recently been cleared and a fresh layering of wood bark applied, so should be child safe. Nevertheless, we will take the comments onboard and will make changes/improvements, where justified.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing