“Rob 'n' Jens stay at Judds”
Review of Judd's Folly Hotel

Judd's Folly Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ospringe
Reviewed August 22, 2013

A short (2 nights stay) but pleasant enough stay.
The room on first impressions was fantastic. Although on later review, it still looked ‘nice’ but appeared to be a DIY job not a professionally fitted out bathroom & the garden / gazebo area looked tired and also like a DIY job. It looks as though the hotel is only just making profit and cannot afford to have the maintenance & upgrade done by professionals and this lets the Hotel down big time. We stayed in the coach house part of the hotel which is probably the nicest part of the hotel. The cabins, probably the left overs from when Judds was a motel have a (impressions from the outside) worn out, tatty appearance although they may be nicely well appointed once inside.
Breakfast was a real let down. It was buffet style with the component parts, eggs, bacon, and hash browns etc… kept warm in a bain-marie type silver vessel with paraffin heaters placed under. The dining area smelt strongly of the paraffin heaters which was a put-off and if you are not present when the eggs, bacon etc… are first placed in the bain-marie they suffer badly with time with the crispy bacon, hash brown slowly going soggy and eggs going rubbery in the condensation. Staff did not clear the table of your cereal bowl between cereal & cooked breakfast.
You cannot beat a breakfast that is cooked specifically for you and delivered fresh to your table. If Judds addressed this situation your stay would be improved ten-fold.
After breakfast I decided to sit in the bar/reception area to check emails on my laptop, I had to share the area with cleaning staff chatting with other members of staff and whilst they were not noisy or boisterous you are still disturbed by them. It doesn’t give the correct impression and is not professional. I think management need to do a critical assessment of their business - Clear the tables in a timely manner, give the staff a staff room where they can wait for the rooms to be vacated before they can start making up the rooms for the next influx of guests.
Other than the breakfast staff not clearing the tables the reception & general staff at all other times were very attentive friendly & helpful with a good attitude. They were polite & arranged late check out for me and on overhearing them dealing with inquiries over the phone appeared very efficient & accommodating.
With a few small changes the experience of staying at Judds would be vastly improved.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rob P
Jason W, Owner at Judd's Folly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Rob P
Thank you for your review.
I find in quite offensive that you feel you can comment on the profitability of the hotel when you know nothing of the business side or running's of this property.

I have read your comments on the other property you reviewed in Faversham and would like to draw your attention that we are NOT owned by a Multi Million Pound Business and we do not have 8 bedrooms, we are a family run hotel when work has been completed as money has been made available.

Our breakfast service is as you stated 'cooked to order and served to, on most days, which I agree is the best you can get and I hope persons who read other reviews will see our breakfast has been scored very high on many reviews. However we do not have only a few rooms and when the hotel is fully booked, we can accommodate up to 60 guests, which means that plated service would be much, much, slower, so we do revert to help yourself buffet style. To be honest if I could do plated service all the time , I would prefer to do so, but 40-60 breakfast going out at the same time is not acceptable to guests who do not want to sit and wait for a time.
We have extended our breakfast times to space the guests coming down for breakfast, but for all the hotel across the country who know and have the same experience, 80% of guests leave it to the last minute.
If we serve under 40 guests a morning the service is always plated.

With regards to the staff, all of the team are aware of the issue you raised and apologise, they are not hanging around reception, but are collecting things from the kitchen and stores rooms which are located around the area.

Thank you for again for your comments

Jason Wolverson -Hotel Owner

There are newer reviews for Judd's Folly Hotel

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Huge thankyou to all at Judds Folly for being the perfect venue for my daughters wedding on Aug 17th. The whole day was wonderful! The rooms were very comfortable and of high standard. The food excellent and the breakfast amazing. What really stood out for me was the staff...nothing was too much trouble...lovely people! My Mother bought her four dogs with her and they were made very welcome. I love Judds Folly and will be returning. Can't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We first visited Judds Folly in May of this year and in my feedback I said that I couldn't wait to find an excuse to visit again. Luckily we found that excuse in the form of a family celebration this week. On both visits we stayed in the same excellent room which was clean, well decorated and comfortable. I have limited mobility and so being able to park right outside our door was important to us. I could also access the bar, terrace and restaurant easily. Right outside our room were the beautiful grounds that my husband could exercise our dog in without any problems. Throughout both of our stays the staff could not have been more helpful, a real credit to Jason the proprietor who also could not have been more welcoming and helpful. The restaurant was superb-on both occasions we invited family to dine with us and so can say that we had no complaints whatsoever. Breakfast was perfect- lots of choice and a great cooked breakfast. In conclusion, if you are looking for a clean, welcoming good value for money hotel set in lovely grounds Judds Folly is a hotel I would heartily recommend. I can't wait for the next excuse to go back.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Pleasant hotel with friendly staff, the rooms are well decorated and have everything you need. We decided to eat out but went to the bar first, quick and friendly service. breakfast the next day was average to good. Old grapes and dirty spoon under the bed. Overall a reasonable night stay.

2  Thank ben79white
Jason W, Owner at Judd's Folly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am please you found your stay satisfactory and comfortable
I apologise for the grape and spoon under the bed, as soon as this was made aware it was dealt with,
Housekeeping at the hotel is top priority and my Head Housekeeper has been made aware of the issue.

Jason Wolverson
Hotel Owner

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Getting to this hotel was the weirdest experience using my satnav as it said i had arrived 2 miles down the road. All i can say is their postcode must cover a large part of the A2!

Small point but the hotel could do with a teaser signpost 50yds before the entrance as i missed the entrance first time (moving at a reasonable speed).

Staff - upon arrival the staff were very polite, courteous and helpful.

Restaurant - I arrived late (8:30 ish) and just in time for evening dinner which i sneakily suspect they kept the chef on for when i said i needed a meal. When i entered the restaurant i was the only one in it. It's always nice when you feel you've been treated well.

The breakfast next morning was a choice of full english, cereals, pastries and juices as well as Tea/Coffee. Lovely breakfast cooked to perfection.

Room - I stayed in one of the annex rooms (room 11) at the back of the hotel. The room itself felt quite new (recently refurbished or built?). It was a reasonable size, double bed with plenty of space for luggage and clean and tidy bathroom. Bed springs in the mattress were very noticeable and uncomfortable, took me a while to get to sleep. Also lack of a shaving mirror in the bathroom meant i had to walk over to the mirror across the bathroom to see myself shave. It would benefit from one of those flexi shaving mirrors attached to the wall next to the sink.

Location - the surroundings are wonderfully rural. Outside decking areas overlooking fields and large open spaces, i wish i could have enjoyed more of the sunny evening outdoors but unfortunately arrived too late.

Bar - The bar looks well stocked with an array of local drinks on offer. I would say the bar and drinking area is a little dark (maybe it was the bright light from outside that gave that impression).

Overall - my stay was only brief (1 night) and was pleasant and ok for me, I had a local business meeting next day so suited me for a quick stopover. It was not very busy at all when i stayed so service may be slightly different in more busy periods.

Changes i'd maybe make.....better signposted on the A2, shaving mirror in bathroom, more comfortable mattress, change the decor in the main hotel lobby/bar (feels a bit dark and aged).

Would i stay again - sure would, the plus points outweigh the negatives although i'd definitely say the mattress needs looking at for a better nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Great place, friendly staff on arrival and departure, clean rooms, good breakfast, good location - all in all a very pleasant experience. Wish we had got there a bit earlier to make the most of it - would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our arrival was met with a smiling receptionist who quickly showed us to our room, which was one of the seperate row of rooms to the side of the hotel. All the staff were friendly and made the stay an enjoyable one. The breakfast was plentiful and fresh and although the hotel is being renovated it had no impact on our stay of 4 nights. If you like reading there is a library of books to chose from. Judds Folly is a short drive from Faversham and Whitstable, both of which are worth a visit.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ospringe
Railway Hotel
#2 of 10 in Folkestone
Crescent Turner Hotel
Crescent Turner Hotel
#1 of 4 in Whitstable

Been to Judd's Folly Hotel? Share your experiences!