“A fine dog-friendly hotel”

Grand Island Travelodge
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Grand Island
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
“A fine dog-friendly hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was clean, comfortable, friendly. We didn't have a great place to walk the dog, but it wasn't bad to walk around the giant fairgrounds next door.
We drove into the old part of town to eat at the highly rated Thai Restaurant, which was all it was reputed to be. Having the dog, we did a take-out and ate in comfort back in the hotel.
It was a perfect way to do our road trip and we'd do it again.
The only reason we give four stars instead of five was the lack of a refrigerator in the room, which, although rare in this price range, isso appreciated when found.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Phillipsburg, Kansas
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We recently spent one night at the Travelodge in Grand Island, NE. We were in a nearby town for a weekend volleyball tournament. The hotel was clean and the front desk clerk was very nice. We had been given a King room and needed 2 double beds to accommodate our family. He was very nice and switched our room without a problem. We were just there overnight, so I didn't see much of the property. Our room was clean. It was what I would expect from a mid-level hotel. The beds weren't the most comfortable; the mattresses were a little thin & sagging. The room was a little dated, but again, for a mid-level hotel, it was fine....I wasn't expecting luxury! They do have a continental breakfast, just cereal and rolls. It wasn't my favorite, but it filled our tummies and we were able to save the cost of breakfast out. I'd stay there again if I were in Grand Island for the same circumstances.....just passing through or needing a place to crash after a long day of volleyball!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Decatur, Texas
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at this property with no problems or complaints worth discussing other than, the fan in the A/C/Heat unit would not stay on manually. it would only come on when the A/C unit was on and cooling as on Auto. Also, would recommend that you get a room toward the rear of the hotel as the section nearest the street can get noisy. The room and bathroom area was clean and appeared to have been renovated relatively recently. There is a grassy area for your pooch to do it's business. They serve a basic but nice continental breakfast that was, to us, free and as good as Tommy's next door. It is close (across the alley) to a nice steakhouse and, on the other side of the hotel, a restaurant/coffee shop, Tommys. The steakhouse is rustic with good flavorful steaks, nice portion sizes and decent service. Tommys was ok. One of the nice things about this hotel was that it was inexpensive, so with not having to place our dog in the boarding kennel and not staying in our usual $100/night hotel we figured taking the mutt saved us about $250 during the trip. Another nice thing about this property was that it is about 200 yards from the main entrance to Fonner Park, where we were attending a function. The downside..if any... was that it was across town from the only Starbucks:)

Room Tip: We would recommend this hotel as good basic lodging. Stay to the rear and on the first floor. It h...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TXFARR
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Our family of four recently chose the pet-friendly Grand Island Travelodge as a home base for a Platte River birdwatching excursion. This was our first trip to Nebraska, and there were certainly plenty of motel options, but we probably couldn't have done better, pricewise, than this Travelodge. The staff was personable and capable without that vibe of cold efficiency that one sometimes finds in chain hotels/motels. Our whole family enjoyed the "Sleepy Bear" motif. (Although my husband and I prefer him before the redesign that made him look more lethargic than sleepy.) The continental breakfast in the lobby offered fresh fruit like oranges and bananas that were actually ripe, as well as real butter. The well-maintained dining area (3 or 4 tables) was spacious enough during our visit, but could become crowded very easily during peak season. For a more substantial meal, there's a family diner right next door and tons of fast food up and down Locust St. We were pleased that the room amenities also included a mini-fridge and microwave. (At the huge Wal-Mart south on Locust St., we were able to pick up some healthy food items to prepare in our room, thus saving a little more money on meals.) The only thing I missed in the room was an iron/ironing board. Most likely the front desk could've provided one, but I just ended up hanging my skirt to steam while I showered.
The weather was a little iffy during our trip, so we were prepared to hole up in the room with some board games if necessary. The room was spacious enough to be a comfortable home away from home for our family, including two active small children and our dog. We always travel with Febreze or Lysol, etc., but the room itself was just fine when we arrived. No pronounced "musty" smell. In our travel experience, we've paid twice as much per night elsewhere for lesser accommodations.
For you Sandhill Crane enthusiasts, this motel is an easy drive from the Nebraska Nature Visitor Center on Alda Road off of I-80. There's a viewing platform nearby at Alda Bridge. A few miles further west along I-80 is the Rowe/Audubon Bird Sanctuary in the town of Gibbon, also with a great viewing platform. During the daytime in season, you can see the cranes in random cornfields along the major streets of Grand Island itself. On the way to Wal-Mart, we pulled over to observe some feeding, mating dances, and general lounging. For those heading to Grand Island for the Waterpark or the State Fairgrounds, this Travelodge is literally a stone's throw from both those attractions. You wouldn't even need to move your car. Families on a budget or big spenders alike, this is a great place to rest your head. We'll be back next season.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Square-on-Wheels
Alliance, Nebraska
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We've stayed here after watching the Sandhills crane birds. Saw this place again thru Trip advisor. Since we just stay for the night, we decided to give it a try. The verdict was good. Very close to the Texas T-Bone steak Restaurant, just next door. The hotel was little old but clean , quiet & peaceful. The lady who checked us in was nice & checked us out. Breakfast was okay. Overall I recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: Good value , closed to the restaurants.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PTRS-ANN
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stopped going to Travelodges recently since I found the quality was inconsistent and sometimes had Internet problems. This is one of the nicest, most comfortable pleasant Travelodges I've gone to. Rooms are comfortable and room for rooms in this price range. The breakfast is a typical motel breakfast plus they have a pop corn machine and you can take what you want. The TV selection is EXCELLENT and the WiFi is great. It's in an area near lots of restaurants. I really liked this hotel since it was in great shape, reasonably priced, great TV, great WiFi. STRONGLY recommended. (And yes they do have a guest computer)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe G
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed February 22, 2012

After a 700 mile drive the last six miles (off the free way) into Grand Island was a bit of unanticipated road hell... When I arrived at 11:30 PM the outside temp was -9. The room what little I saw of it, seemed fine as I was in Bed at 12 and asleep at 12:01. Arising refreshed in the AM, proceeding to the bath room that I had not used the night before... Once seated, I discovered a fleck of material on the toilet seat that, short of chemical analysis, appeared to be fecal material...Thus discouraged, I made no further attempt to explore the bath... Packing my things I enjoyed the welcome and well presented breakfast...At check out I mentioned the sanitary issue I had encountered in my bath... on being assured the owner "inspected all the rooms once a week" I suggested housekeeping staff do inspection once a day...carracar

Room Tip: Be sure to visit the day the owner does room inspectons
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business