“Best of best hotels.”

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Grand Island
Los angeles
“Best of best hotels.”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Love the staff and the rooms are so clean and well kept. I stayed for four days and I felt as through I was coming home every evening. Great location!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Papillion, NE
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This hotel has a great pool area that kids would love. It is a little pricey for the area, however. If you are looking for peace and quiet be sure to specify a room away from the pool. Also, it you are a Priority Club member, be sure and check your key envelope as they may include coupons to the restaurant/bar. They didn't mention that at check-in and I didn't find them until days after our stay while I was cleaning out my purse!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are convenient, but noisy if you want to take a nap or sleep in.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Rhonda S, General Manager at Hotel Grand Conference Center fka Midtown, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I'm sorry you were not told about the Priority Club Coupons when you checked in. I am glad to know that this happened so we may talk with our guest service representatives about this and stress the importance of making the guest aware of these value coupons that can be used in either our lounge or our restaurant. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. RHonda Saalfeld
Kansas
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Spent 3 days here on business. Overall a nice place. Older hotel but updated and with a nice lounge, good breakfast and a nice pool/hottub. Free Wifi and a Comfortable stay

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed January 27, 2012

This was a very strange experience. It was my first time using priceline and I found that I basically got a decent rate that was about 70% of retail. I expected to get a lower price through priceline than I did but it was worth a try. As for the hotel this appears to be a converted old fashioned roadside motel that Had exterior entrances for every room but now those exterior entrances are enclosed behind an unheated un-insulated hallway, which was basically freezing cold during late December when we stayed.While the bedding was upscale the rest of the amenities (shower, toilet, sink, vanity, flooring) were all trailer home style fixtures-like the cheapest you can imagine. The pool was larger than I expected but it was in this very large high ceiling indoor courtyard which wasn't adequately heated to make it comfortable once you got out of the water. My freeze proof 3 year old had chattering teeth in the pool after about 5 minutes (it was far to cool for my comfort) and the hot tub was almost scalding. The vending machines wouldn't take paper money and when I went to the bar for change I couldn't find anyone working after 3-5 minutes I went to the front desk and got change there. I would not stay again.

As a post script we stayed here on our way to Colorado Springs. I thought this was right on the highway it's really about 5-7 miles north of the highway on a road that seemed to be heavily policed and has a much lower speed limit. I would call Grand Island a speed trap for tourists considering there is very little signage of what the actual speed limit is. I will not stay in Grand Island again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank nahdogg
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay of January 27. I am sorry that you found your experience less than you expected from a HOliday Inn. During our rennovation we have totally upgraded all 200 of our rooms bathrooms to include new tiled floors, granite vanities, and all new fixtures. I hope you will reconsider staying at our property again. I'm sorry for the cold atrium. THis must have been an oversight of our staff as we try to keep this area at 72 degrees and our pool at 82 degrees. I will pass this on to the staff so that it does not happen again.
Again, thank you for your comments that always encourage and motivate us to do better.
Rhonda Saalfeld, General Manager
Kansas City
Reviewed December 14, 2011

The Pros
The second you walk in the door it smells nice and it looks nice. This is a very well managed property and you can tell.
Check in a breeze. The free internet service performed excellent.
There is a pool and the pool area does not look like the 80s era. They have updated.
The food in the restaurant is very good. I had a great Reuben.
The printer in the business center was not working well so the attendant let me go back and use a computer and printer at the manager's desk. How cool is that.
Nice room, nice temperature. Nice new LG TV. The key always worked. They had those adapters so you could plug in all kinds of stuff... Nice! All of the housekeeping employees were friendly and greeted me.
The deskstaff and restaurant staff are adults. What I mean is.... when you ask for something, they answer you. They are articulate and well groomed. They are not afraid to make decisions. Can I check out 15 minutes late late due to a conference call... they said... sure ... no problem...

The Cons
The area has lots of hotels but I would not call it a particularly nice part of town. But it is definitely a hotel district. 10 minutes from I 80.
The gas station next door is kind of nasty. The property is huge.... You could walk quite a distance to your room.
The open convention space in the epicentre of the hotel creates an empty voided feeling. Lots of empty round tables.

Overall...A very nice place and I will not risk staying somewhere else in Grand Island because this is a great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the front of the hotel... or you could be a long distance away from everything.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Phillip66
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Was in Grand Island on business, stayed 2 nights. Hotel was clean, staff was very friendly and helpful, rate was good. Pool area seemed clean, but I did not use it this time.
The lounge was a bit 70's, but the staff was friendly if a bit slow.
The restaurant was typical Holiday Inn, average food for selection and quality; service was dreadfully slow, so much that our team had to delay our meeting start times on both days because breakfast took over an hour.
All in all I would stay there again; but would probably plan to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Nebraska, USA
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed here for a convention. The staff said the hotel had been renovated, but it definitely showed wear! I usually stay at Hampton hotels, but decided to stay close to the activities. I inquired about the cost and said I'd think about it. Well, good thing I did because 2 hours later it was $20 cheaper! We heard every noise -- from the young kids running in the halls, to the adults laughing as they drank in the courtyard. The wi-fi connections never happened, even though the staff said they "had routers everywhere." This hotel is in a shady neighborhood, so I was glad I didn't have to leave at night. The food was good, but when you tacked on the $20 breakfast bill, I would have saved a lot of money by driving across town to Hampton. I would suggest one of the newer hotels on the other side of town before this one. I prefer clean, crisp and no funky smells at my hotel. I found some short & curlies in the bed. Kind of grossed me out.

Room Tip: If you want quiet at night, don't stay in a room surrounding the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business