“Historic and interesting!”
Review of Sod House Museum

Sod House Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum dedicated to the art and history of the sod homes of pioneer days.
St. Louis
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Historic and interesting!”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This little museum was closed on the day we visited, a Monday in early June. We climbed over the small rail fence and walked back to look at the sod house. It was very interesting to see how it was constructed. Inside the sod house, it was furnished with a small amount of furniture just as the early pioneers would have had it arranged. A red barn that housed the museum was closed. Nearby are statues of an Indian on horseback and a buffalo, both made of barbed wire. They were very interesting and pretty.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank beber1

Los Lunas, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice little Museum”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I didn't personally visit the museum myself, but my husband did and was very pleased with all it had to offer. A lot of history about the area.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank MissDaisy4kjkkids
Gothenburg, Nebraska
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“it's real”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I live here and the people who build this house actually cut the sod from virgin ground. Laid it up in the traditional fashion and it is weathering just like they did originally.

2 Thank yaattaz
Illinois
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Interesting replica, closes at 3pm.”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I pulled off of I-80 to see the Pony Express station in Gothenburg and stopped by the Sod House as well since it was right off of the expressway. Since it closes at 3pm, I wasn't able to go inside. However, you can pretty much see it from the outside as far as I can tell.

They have a couple of statues out front, along with a cut-out of the American Gothic people that you can put your face through and take a picture. The actual house is a replica sod house, it's interesting to see. It's very small and even just looking through the windows I could see the spare interior and imagine living the frontier lifestyle.

If you are driving by it's probably worth the stop, just check the hours before you go. I'm sure it's better when it's open.

3 Thank LyssaIL