“Christmas in Fairbury”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fairbury
Iowa
“Christmas in Fairbury”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hotel is relatively new and is in very nice shape. The rooms are a nice size but the bathrooms are extremely small and hard to get into and out of. You almost have to straddle the stool to get in and out of the bathroom, strange design. The only issue we had with our two night stay was that they didn't clean our room between the two nights and we were out of the room by 9:30 am? There is a continental breakfast that includes a few hot items as well. Overall a nice place but has a price that more like the big city.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cancunkids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Irving, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Handicap guest may have a hard time in these handicap rooms. The beds are very high. Our mother could not get in the bed. We ask the front desk for a stepping stool, where after a grin from the clerk, we were told no, they don't have one. We used a 12 pack of soda for her to step up on. The tub is at least 24 or more inches high. The staff was kind, the breakfast was good with many choices. If not for the disappointment of the handicap room and the sour smell of old mop water in the lobby it was a nice place. Our next visit we will have to go to another hotel. We wondered why the sheets had not been changed. Well-we found a sign that is to be placed on your bed if you want this service, the problem was-the sign was in the floor, behind the mini frig.Needless to say we laid the sign on the beds with one night left. It was a four night stay. Upon leaving we could not find a luggage cart. The entire hotel has one (1). We found it on the 3rd floor where a customer had his luggage just sitting. He was nice, didn't realize it was the only cart and removed his luggage so we could use it.

Room Tip: Personally check the handicap room for your comfort before you except the room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DebbieLTL
Wichita
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have no issues with this Hotel overall. The rooms are still new, in good shape and clean. Bathrooms are extremely small, though. You have to navigate stepping out of the shower, around the toilet, to open the door in order to get out of the bathroom from the shower.

I was planning to stay for two weeks. My second day of the first week, I received a call from the manager, Shirley, asking me to switch rooms because a group coming in was needing a few more rooms with two beds instead of one. No big deal I said and I moved my stuff to help the hotel out. When I asked Shirley what she would do for me next week when I come back (since I helped her and the hotel out by moving rooms), she said "I will put you back in a double bedded room, not a upgraded room". I didn't think my request for an upgraded room the second week was unreasonable, expecially considering that I did help her and the hotel out in being able to accomodate another guest. Given her response, I cancelled my reservation for the second week and plan on staying at another hotel that will appreciate my business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Darrin B
Shirley B, General Manager at Cobblestone Hotel & Suites Fairbury, NE, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We are sorry that you didn't feel that we appreciated your business, nothing could be futher from the truth. We strive to do what we can and appologize that not every request can always be granted. Hopefully, you can allow us to serve you in the future. Thank you for your comments.
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Cobblestone during my high school class reunion. Our stay was pleasant and without issues. The hotel was brand new, so everything still had that new smell. The room was nice & clean (the bathroom was a little cramped though) and the continental breakfast was good. My father and children really enjoyed the pool! My problem with this hotel is how I was treated after my stay there. I left my pillow there. It wasn't just a cheap, average pillow. It was a little more expensive, but saves me from many neck issues and daily headaches. Four days had passed before I was able to call and check on it. I spoke with Irene at the front desk and she told me that it was not in the Lost and Found. I asked to speak with the manager (Shirley Bender) and was told that she was not in. I left my name and phone number for her to call me back. Another 2-3 days passed and nobody returned my call. I called again on Monday and spoke with Nancy at the front desk and then Shirley. I was told that my pillow could not be found. I explained that I was certain that I left the pillow in room 203 and asked if Shirley would speak to the housekeeper or whoever entered the room after we checked out. I gave her my phone number again and she said she would call me back. Another day passed and still no return phone call. I called and spoke with Nancy again. She told me that they still had not found my pillow. When I tried to explain how I knew that I had left my pillow there and why it was so important to me to get it back, Nancy kept trying to talk over me and interrupt me. When I verbalized to her that she was doing this and it was making me angry, I was told that maybe I should treat her the way I wanted to be treated. (WHAT????) She was condescending and told me that if my pillow was so important to me, then I shouldn't have left it there. When I told her that I knew I had left my pillow there and that I knew that someone there has it, she said, "Well then, why don't you just come down here and find it yourself." I admit that I lost it with her and I screamed at her into the phone after being treated this way. I'm not proud of this - it is what it is. I asked to speak to the manager, but was told she was out and Nancy asked if I would leave my phone number. I asked if I could call back instead because so far nobody had ever returned a phone call to me. I called back an hour later, and was told that Shirley was still out. After another hour, I was finally able to talk with Shirley. She again explained that she could not find my pillow. I explained to her that this was no longer about my pillow, but the principal of the matter and about the way I have been treated. She apologized for not returning my call, but said that she had been out of her office for a few days and couldn't find my number buried in all of the papers on her desk. (That's nice to know.) She explained that she searched the hotel herself for my pillow and that they even had a police officer there for another matter and that she asked him to look for my pillow also. (Again, WHAT?????) I asked if she spoke with housekeeping and she said that she was told my pillow wasn't found. I asked Shirley who she reported to? She said that there were 3 owners. I asked for their names and she said that one of them was standing there and would I like to talk with him. I said, "Absolutely!" All he said when he picked up the phone was, "Hello." I had to ask his name. Allen listened well to my now LONG story, but was very condescending. He told me that people do things all the time and don't want to take responsibility for it. He said that he once left his watch at a hotel and called back 15 minutes later and got it back. He suggested that one of my children took it. (My children are small and couldn't even carry their own luggage.) He told me he would not reimburse me to replace my pillow because he had no proof that I left it there. I suppose this is just my word against theirs. Regardless, I won't be staying there for my future reunions.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Michelle L
We are sorry that we were unable to come to a mutual agreement to accomadate your issue. We did look into the entire situation and feel that we did everything we could. However, we realize that not every issue will be resolved. We are appreciate that your stay in your opinion was good until you left. We appreciate your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Fairbury hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairbury
Victorian Inn
Victorian Inn
#3 of 5 in Beatrice
CAPRI INN & SUITES - AMERICAN OWNED AND OPERATED
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Beatrice

Been to Cobblestone Hotel & Suites Fairbury, NE? Share your experiences!