“Nicest people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Island KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doniphan
Grand Island KOA
Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin
“Nicest people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

This KOA looks a lot like any other KOA - lots of RVs and a few open spots for tents. We're not big KOA fans because we prefer tent-camping in the wilderness. Given the lack of wilderness in the middle of Nebraska, we stayed at the KOA for one night on the way to the Rockies.
And we were wonderfully impressed. It's surrounded by corn fields, that's sooo Nebraska! The people working there were incredibly nice and helpful. An older gentleman escorted us to our site with his golf cart, and stopped by later to see if we needed anything. The pool was great, their breakfast cafe was cute, and the food was great and inexpensive. Our kids loved renting bikes and go-cart like things there.

Room Tip: The cabins are in the back, right by the pool and the cafe, with a wonderful (?) view of the corn.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Cocozelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had a great place close to the shower/restroom for our 32' motorhome. Location was surprisingly quiet for being 1/4 mile from the interstate. Showers & restrooms were clean and the staff was helpful. I bought ice in their store and found it very reasonably priced. I will definitely search them out to stay next time we're in that area.

• Stayed August 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

So, here we are...my husband, me, our three dogs and cat after a 300 mile drive. We've learned not to get our hopes too terribly high for KOAs and this one reaffirms why. I reserved online, making clear that we're big rig, 70 feet long, pulling a car trailer behind our 41 foot RV my hubby's driving while I'm driving our SUV. I also paid online.
Entered the office with iPhone in hand which showed my email confirmation and receipt. The "receptionist" rang up a cash register receipt. When I told her I'd paid online and already had a receipt she said I still needed to sign her receipt just so they aren't held responsible for anything lost, stolen or damaged. Ooookkkaayyyy...red flag #1!
"Don't you want to renew your KOA card?", she asked.
1. If I'd wanted to renew I'd have done so while making my reservation;
2. I let it expire over 4 years ago for a reason (another bad KOA experience).
"No, not today."
"Well, why not?"
"Just because. Not today."
She pulls out the site map and draws arrows to our assigned site 67. She looks out the window, sees my SUV and asks if I have an RV. "Oh yes", I reply. "It's the 41 foot beast in front of the 27 foot mammoth we're pulling. See right here where I noted this in the web site's comments section?", I smile. She huffs and puffs and scratches out site 67 and relocates us to a longer site. She'd already circled the laundry/showers on the map. Tapping those with my finger I said, "Hey, at least these didn't move". No reply.
We get an escort to the site - looks to be Mr. Bates. He waves me off to the side dismissively: this rig parking is MANS work, after all. He's too stupid to realize I've piloted our RV and trailer cross- country and back, doing just fine without his silly-assed self.
He tells my hubby to not drive on the grass and for me to park our SUV in front of the office. Even though we have stuff to unload and my husband is legally disabled. PARK IN FRONT OF THE OFFICE.
Later we're out walking the dogs and notice him ride by. He doesn't see us apparently. What's he doing? Dumping an ash can over the neighbor's fence onto their corn rows.
While walking my husband notices long pieces of metal and picks up a total of six. This often shows up in recycled, second-rate gravel. Standing on end, one shard will bust a tire to Kingdom Come. Hubby calls him over: "Hey! Got something for you I found in your gravel. These things are rough on tires. You might want to do your customers a favor and look more closely at your gravel."
Owner looks at us, mumbles a thanks and goes on his way.
Red flag #2!!
Oh yeah, the cable and WIFI are useless. I'm writing - warning - using my trusty 4G service.
And why is the pool closed in mid August?
The upshot? We're outta here first light of day tomorrow.
And do I want a KOA card? You'd have to pay me to stay at another one.

It's simple math:

KOA = Kiss Ole [--]

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank MysticMia
Denver, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We've stayed in many KOAs, and generally love them -- the cabins are perfect for our family of 5 and dog when we are road-tripping. Wish I could say the same of this KOA, but we will not be staying here again. They do not allow dogs in the deluxe cabins (most KOAs do), so we had a very small, basic cabin with no bathroom. We knew this going in, and have stayed in those cabins before...we prefer the bigger ones with bathroom, but wanted to get further down the road than Gretna, where we usually stay. It's a tight squeeze with all of us and the dog! Pool was shaded by large trees -- so it was cold! -- kids braved it anyway. No food or drink allowed by the pool, so parents can forget about relaxing with a cold one (can would have been fine) after a long day on the road. We got the dinner from the "chuck wagon" -- $10 gets you a steak or piece of chicken, baked potato, green beans that looked as if they'd been cooking since last week, and a salad of iceberg lettuce and a couple of carrot shreds. Chicken was small and bland; steak was overcooked. Kids got hot dogs and fries, which were fine. One kid got mac and cheese -- $3 gets you a little styrofoam bowl with about 3/4 cup of mac and cheese. I asked for more and was told I would need to pay another $3 for another serving if I wanted more. So we just supplemented from our road trip food supply. Dinner took a good 45 minutes...there were only two people working the chuck wagon. I felt a bit sorry for them, but if they're going to charge that much for food, maybe they should consider adding some more staff. There are few amenities to this campground...my kids missed the fun stuff like bouncy pillow, zip line, etc, that Gretna has. Someone was shooting off firecrackers until at least 11 PM, and I don't know if the staff did something about it finally or if they just stopped...either way, it should have been stopped by 10, as that was supposed to be when quiet hours are enforced. We were up and out as early as possible in the morning. If you have to stay in Grand Island, I would say go for a chain hotel and a chain restaurant...you'd get more for your money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CAS2_13
Battle Creek, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a month during a job; we have been to many, many campgrounds in the last 2 years and this was the first one where we saw people working all the time. Mowing, cleaning, planting, fixing, etc. Had difficulty with main electric breaker tripping; many ticks in pet area around the trees and tall grasses. Hunt Brothers pizza was awesome!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank GrammyMD
Sevierville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I think we would have had a warmer greeting if we had stayed at the Bates motel! Because we had asked for a two week stay we were questioned as to why?, what kind of work my husband does?, what kind of camper we had?, and where we where from? We were told that our SUV had to be parked in the overflow because it was in the way of other 'vacationing' guests who were there for fun. (It fit fine in our campsite) They removed our door mat because it was 'killing their grass'! We heard him be extremely rude to a child whose mother was less than 15 feet from him. The day we were to check out by 11:00 AM they turned our water off by 8:30!?!? THE BATES NEED A LESSON IN HOSPITALITY AND KINDNESS! They should consider ALL GUESTS regardless of WHY they are staying. KEEP DRIVING - DON'T STAY!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave-and N
Dunning, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stopped in following a high wind storm that took our awning as we were traveling in our class A. We also had a blow out. The camp ground was clean, well maintained, The staff was friendly and understood our problems. Even when the service crew came to fix the RV the staff at the camp ground was very accommodating. The cost was average for this type of campground. There was a play ground where children could play. A pet exercise area that was clean and well maintained also. Too many are just weedy areas, but not here. I would stay here again when we go back the other way.

Room Tip: The cabins were very nice, looked well cared for and comfortable. Place is near interstate so traffi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Oldfoxbob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doniphan
Motel 6 Grand Island
Rodeway Inn Grand Island
Rodeway Inn Grand Island
#11 of 22 in Grand Island
Boarders Inn & Suites with Full Circle Venue and Conference Center

Been to Grand Island KOA? Share your experiences!