“Lovely Overnight Stay!!!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Tababela B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Lovely Overnight Stay!!!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The airlines messed up our flight and we were forced to stay the night in Quito unexpectedly. I made reservations for this little B&B in Tababela only 10 minutes from the new airport. I booked the Matrimonial suite via Booking.com and then emailed the owner's daughter who handles the reservations for her family's business. We were confirmed and because there was no other option available and I was in a pinch.

A misunderstanding in communication caused confusion upon arrival because they expected me to be traveling with my wife. They attempted to find other arrangements for us because they only have 3 rooms; the bigger having already been booked. I assured them that it was okay for me to share the bed but they would not hear of it and gave my travel companion the single bed room they had left without extra cost to us.

We arrived at night and it was a little difficult for the taxi to find but we did after an extra 5 minutes of driving around. There is a small street sign with the name of the street but it is a dirt road next to crops, so it can be missed at night. What we could see of the grounds were very nice and the house very comfortable. It is a family home of very religious people that are the nicest I have ever met. They bent over backward to make us comfortable and ensure we were feed both the night before and the following morning before taking us to the airport.

The beds were great and warm and the bathroom ready for us. We felt at home with family. We would stay here again anytime. Far better than any cold hotel. We can not express our gratitude.

Room Tip: Keep in mind it is near the airport and depending on the time of night you go to bed, you might hear...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kiruna, Sweden
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We had a flight leaving Quito 6:14 so according to the airport information we had to be at the airport 3:14 am. You don't want to stay in central Quito if you have to be out at the airport that early. We booked this place and the hotel arranged transport for us the evening before from central Quito. The hotel or rather this private house is an experience in itself. It has a big garden with dogs and hens. The little white dog is over-friendly but very nice. It is possible to walk to a restaurant a few hundred meters away but tins, fruits and other light food is available in the fridge as well as drinks and water. We had some hot chocolate. The owner didn't speak any english but you will survive even if you don't speak any spanish. We booked transfer to the airport 3:30 am and the owner came in with breakfast 3:15 in the morning. Book this hotel if you want a nice surprise.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gert E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Having suffered a series of unfortunate events, I found myself totally alone at Quito airport having been scammed out of a lot of money for flights that did not exist. Wanting nothing more than to get back to the UK, my brother managed to convince me to stay having found St Mary's Tababela on Trip Advisor. Whilst I was apprehensive about taking a cab alone and into the unknown, the reviews gave me confidence that I was making the right choice- and how glad I am that I did. I could not have felt more at home and more cared for than if it were my own family, and I will be eternally grateful for their kindness. The guest house was so beautiful and set in such a safe feeling plot and stunning garden, and my room and bathroom were immaculate, and the bed so comfortable! Thankfully, speaking Spanish I was able to get to know the family over dinner and hear all about the wonders of living in Ecuador. I could not recommend this Tababela more highly to anyone, not only for its location but for a truly special and unique stay, and I will always feel grateful for having met my Ecuadorean family- including Kininu and Rex the dogs!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
steilacoom, wa
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Lovely setting and accommodations, gracious hots, light breakfast. Quito is an hour or more from the new airport & this is only 10 minutes. Difficult for taxis to find, but worth it. Good to know Spanish but not essential. Beautiful garden and you can probably arrange a ride to the airport or to Quito

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kalolakai
St. Albert, Alberta
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Sometimes we are just destined to meet the most incredible people. This was exactly the case. A hiccup in our travel plans found us staying an extra night near the Qutio airport. It turned out to be a very positive experience. Our Hostess and Host were some of the most delightful people we met during our lengthy travels. Their guest home and gardens were beautiful and relaxing. Our Spanish is limited, yet we were able to visit and enjoy their company. We certainly have a gold star for St. Mary's and there is no doubt we will be staying here again whenever we find ourselves near Qutio.
The room was comfortable and spacious and had all the comforts of home.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We called St. Mary's as soon as we picked up our luggage and were picked up about 15 minutes later by Rosalda, her father (I think) and her little boy. It's about a 10 minute drive, but beware of taking a cab, I don't think you can find this place if you don't know where it is. It's a beautiful B&B behind stone walls and an iron gate. The wood floors are immaculate and the furnishings are beautiful. We were given a breakfast of tomati (not tomato) juice, soft boiled eggs, a ham & cheese turnover and coffee. I was nursing a sore shoulder and after breakfast I got shoulder rubdown from Rosalda that helped ease my pain. Rosalda dropped us off at the airport in the morning and my wife & I each got a nice hug. Great experience!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Due to fog and a crowded flight, we didn't make it out of the airport until over an hour after our flight landed. Rosalba was there waiting at 12:30 am, just the first example of her excellent customer care. ST Mary's is a big old house/guest house set in a big garden area. A lot of improvements..the wood floors are works of art...more needed but in process. Our room was immaculate. As far as I can tell, bath is shared, but we were the only ones there. Breakfast was delicious..she introduced us to a number of exotic new fruits. Good wifi!

Since it's only 8 KM from the airport it's great for a transition night, flying in and then on to wherever the next day. Not much to do out there in Talabera, but you save a long, expensive cab ride into Quito and you get to meet a gracious hostess. And....cute house puppy!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tababela
Wyndham Quito Airport
#1 of 4 in Tababela
Hosteria Airport Garden
Hosteria Airport Garden
#3 of 14 in Tababela

Been to St Mary's Tababela? Share your experiences!