Lochmara Lodge - Wildlife Recovery and Arts Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lochmara Bay
Maroochydore, Australia
“Stay here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Great value, exceptional standard of rooms, service and surroundings. Genuine wildlife protection and care facilities on show with rare parrots, and endangered eels and gheckos. loads People pay to come for a day trip here it's so good. Also, the restaurant is a top shelf gormet dining experience. If you are tramping the Heaphy Track it is worth the extra 1/2 hour off the track detour to stay here. Free kayaks and if you can cook them you can harvest rock mussels from the kayaks.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lochmara, Manager at Lochmara Lodge - Wildlife Recovery and Arts Centre, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for the review and recommendation! Fantastic that you had a great time. I'm sure this was just an unintentional mixup, but to confirm for other readers, the track we are on is the Queen Charlotte Track - the Heaphy is a further West, between Tasman and the West Coast. They are both great tracks though, offering different experiences for hikers. Lucky you, if you walked both of them!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Kiwi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We took all of our staff and had a full day at the Lochmara, sort of a team building day. The Lodge staff were great and helped organising the day, the food was great, a little short but tasty, and the grounds were just perfect. Lots of bush, birds and the friendly pigs. This has got to be a perfect place for a quiet weekend or blob out during the week.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks! It was great to have you guys out with us, and good to hear that your team enjoyed the day. Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to your feedback, but we did read it and pass it on to the chef. Hope to have you back again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was one of my highlights whilst back in Picton and Queen Charlotte Sounds, where I spent my youth. I was there in May and it was picture perfect, peaceful at end of their season. Could not fault the accommodation, and it came with a kitchenette to prepare light snacks etc. (Not all rooms have that facitlity) I loved the dinner and lunch dining and could not fault the food for freshness, variety and prices. Every morning I would take out a kayak (free) and paddle around the bay, spotted dolphins and local seals. Some lovely spots for privacy if wanted. A big mention and thank you must go to the staff for their friendliness and service. I love this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I went to Lochmara Lodge in 2011 and it was one of the highlights of my south island trip. My partner and I went in September during the world cup and our day spent at Lochmara was probably one of my favourites. The staff were more than accommodating and friendly. I strongly recommend borrowing the kayaks - I didn't want to go kayaking but did it as you sometimes do in relationships and I'm so glad it did. It was relaxed and the scenery was AMAZING. I loved the kunekune and wanted to take him home with me.
I don't have anything negative to say about the lodge or anything that I would change.
I'm writing this review very much belated, as I was just talking about it at work and thought that I enjoyed my time so much that they deserved a review.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lochmara, Manager at Lochmara Lodge - Wildlife Recovery and Arts Centre, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thanks Kirstie! And thanks for taking the time to write the review. It's always awesome to hear that people had fun, and that 'once discovered...never forgotten' is more than a tagline for us :). Hope you have had a chance to get out on the water since...and we still have the kayaks for if you visit us again. Thanks again.
Nelson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Only 15 minutes across the bay from Picton to the magical, scenic and idyllic Lochmara Lodge. Nestled among lush green bush, bordering the emerald green sea that is the Marlborough Sounds - the approach from the water taxi will not disappoint. The friendly, warm and welcoming staff ensure we truly feltl like "guests" and also that we were well informed of the many sights and activities for the children. Our room was fairly spacious, well positioned for the incredible scenery, warm and functional. The land surrounding the lodge encompasses many points of natural and enhanced interest for the family, including a replica bush camp (crumpys camp), flying fox, kuni kuni pigs, eels, native parrots, massive rope swing, kayaks, hammocks and nature walks. The restaurant was superbly located and oozed atmosphere - however was too pricey for us - so we had to suffice with a couple of cold brews accompanied by a bowl of wedges - then cook a meal in our room. The menu did look amazing though - but would have been quite expensive for a family dinner. The price probably reflects the isolated location and cost of transporting goods etc. We were very impressed with all aspects of this lodge and will most definitely be returning again. Tot op off the wonderful weekend we had the privilege of getting up close with a pod of friendly dolphins on the return trip to Picton.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the lovely review. Your guesses are absolutely right - we work hard to keep costs reasonable, but bringing most things in by boat does have a cost impact. We cook everything fresh and from scratch, even all the baking (no pre-made muffin mixes here!). We also use some of our own produce, for example, herbs, honey and eggs and fruit from our gardens. Awesome to hear that you felt welcome and your family had a good time exploring. :)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Loved my Lochmara stay! A short water taxi ride from Picton (the skipper even stopped to show us some penguins along the way) we arrived to Lochmara and were greeted at the jetty and shown our room. We booked the cheapest option 'Sharewater Unit' for $90 and even though it is very small, I still felt like it was a bargain considering the surroundings and high standard of Lochmara overall and the free use of activities such as kayaks. The unit was clean and comfortable.
Exploring the grounds is fantastic, a beautiful bush walk with amazing views of the Marlborough Sounds but with interesting art everywhere then at night the glow worms light up the bush. Hammocks are everywhere throughout the bush which was perfect to lie back and watch the sun go down. Access to the Queen Charlotte Track lookout for 360 degree views of the Marlborough Sounds is well worth the 2hr walk - stunning.
I didn't use the outdoor bath or massage services or eat in the restaurant but I am definitely planning a trip back for more of a pamper day.
I think my experience was greatly enhanced by arriving on a Sunday night - as all the kids left!
Exceptional service, beautiful surroundings and lots of fun things to explore - overall an excellent experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks Lisa! The Shearwater twins are our smallest and most inexpensive rooms - perfect for using as a base and exploring the area just as you describe. Thanks for the review and fantastic that you enjoyed your break with us. Keep an eye on our website/facebook page as we sometimes have pamper escape break packages for that promised next visit.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was the last resort of 4 we stayed in on the QCT and although OK was probably our least favourite. It is a 4km walk from the main track and is otherwise accessible only by boat, a not inexpensive ride from Picton as I understand. The staff took longer than I would have expected to let us know which rooms we were allocated, and to be asked to wear wrist bands as guests in a resort is a bit rich. This I understand is so they can tell the guests from the day trippers. Paying for lumps of wifi data is a little annoying, I would prefer they bumped up the tariff by $5 a night . I am a big bloke and this was the only resort of the 4 where we had a double rather than queen size bed, a little bit squeezy! The restaurant staff were nice but not up to the standard of Ratahi or Mahana. It did have the best mussel dish that I had in the Sound ( and I did have a few!). To us the whole place felt a bit tired.

Room Tip: If you are doing the walk, try to get one of the lower rooms. You sacrifice some view, but save your...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the review and while the chef is delighted you rated his mussels, we're sorry the rest of your visit didn't stack up. I'm not sure if you're confusing some of your experience with somewhere else, as all our rooms have Queen beds, except the Shearwater Twins which have 2 singles. All in-house guests also get a free allocation of wi-fi (I think we might be the only place in the Sounds to do this). The wristbands though is definitely us, and we're looking at ways to improve this process, ensuring access to the wildlife and art experiences for all guests. Thanks for the feedback on this, and we hope you enjoyed your Marlborough experience overall.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochmara Bay
#1 of 1 in Te Mahia
Okiwa Bay Lodge
Okiwa Bay Lodge
#1 of 5 in Anakiwa

Been to Lochmara Lodge - Wildlife Recovery and Arts Centre? Share your experiences!