Review Highlights
Jewel of the Sand Hills

Reviewed August 22, 2018
_lajollapeters
Seattle, Washington
Great time, bombproof horses and good food

Reviewed July 1, 2018
mydentist2016
Virginia
via mobile

All reviews wonderful hosts western theme each morning year after year we spent hours experience life opportunity to meet horseback riding coffee maker riding ability cows and horses moment you arrive return next year an excellent cook jerry cattle saddle
Reviewed September 11, 2018

I had wanted to experience life as a cowgirl for many years and had spent sometime researching and planning this trip. I believe I chose well and Rowse's ranch provided me with my first adventure of this kind which was authentic, fun and informative. Tammy and Jerry are great hosts. The food was delicious, prepared superbly by Tammy and Jerry referring to me as 'Miss England' I found delightful and endearing. I was struck by how well the cows and horses are cared for. Yes, the cattle end up on the dinner table but their life on the pastures before then beats the horrendous alternative of the factory farming method which provides most of our meat. The other 5 guests during my week were a great bunch and I was fortunate to meet some really fine people - 3 from the USA and a couple from Germany. Jerry and Tammy, keep up the good work guys!

Reviewed August 22, 2018

If you are looking for a place to experience a true working cattle ranch with all the fixins look no further than Rowse’s 1+1 Ranch. Even though I consider myself a “beginner” rider, I was given the help I needed to succeed but also the independence to try things on my own. I left feeling like a true cowboy. Jerry and Tammie are themselves a piece of history in Garfield county dating back 6 generations. This solid family history was evident with each interaction during my stay. Jerry was funny, informative, kind and generous with his time and answering my incessant questions. Tammie was so warm, genuine, kind and generously shared the bounty of her garden with us at every meal. T.O. was straightforward yet gentle when she helped me get my horse ready the first day and cheered me on when I did it myself (mostly) the second day. The trail rides each day were intentional and full of the purpose of a real working ranch. It was an honor to be included in the good work of ensuring the overall health and welfare of the cattle we checked up on. My horse was my guide and there was something about the rhythm of her gait and the squeak of the leather saddle that was good for the soul. I left feeling better than when I drove in. I highly recommend Rowse’s 1+1 to anyone who is looking for a true Nebraska ranch experience.

1  Thank _lajollapeters
Reviewed July 1, 2018 via mobile

I just spent a week with Tammy and Jerry. I was at their place for the first time, but I was at other ranches before. The 1+1 Ranch is an awesome place for riding, checking on the cattle and eating really good food. I have a soy allergy and it’s not easy to prepare food without any soy, but Tammy was great and she often had to prepare something special for me! Tammy even gave me her hair dryer for the whole week! Thanks again Tammy! Everybody at the ranch is super friendly and very helpful with catching the horses and tacking. We spent hours cruising through the pastures watching the cattle. The sandy hills are perfect for riding. The horses are great and very trustworthy! We also had the chance to watch a team roping competition in the evening where Jerry and his son took part. A perfect week!

1  Thank mydentist2016
Reviewed July 1, 2018

My niece and I enjoyed a week of living the cowboy life at Rowse's 1 plus 1 ranch.

Mind you: it's a working ranch. Bussines comes first, but from the first minute we arrived we felt very welcome, and part of the family.
Jerry is an excellent 'horseman' and very willing to learn you all the moves you need to know, as long as you ask!
Tammy is an excellent host and cook. Her meals are so delicious!

Because it's a working ranch, all the work is dictated by the season and the weather. You have to remind this when you book. We had the whole week a lot to do. The first two days we had to drive the neighbours cattle from the pasture to the paddock for vaccination and branding. An extreem intense experience for someone from Europe (Mike & JP, thank you for the hospitality. You are great.)
The other days there were a lot of cows and calfs to check. So work enough to do. You will not easily be bored.

I hope I can return next year for another week of "living the cowboy life".

Reviewed May 30, 2018 via mobile

It's taken me quite a while to write this review because I've been, quite frankly, conflicted re: how to state my feelings fairly, and honestly which I believe is our responsibility as TripAdvisor community members.... honesty is everything... this ranch gave me the gift of truly feeling seasoned and at one with the ranching experience, I left the Rouse Ranch at the end of the week truly feeling "experienced", and like a cattle ranching veteran, to a degree I never had before on my previous guest ranching visits to Wyoming and Arizona.... I can't speak highly enough of Tammy and the incredible work she does... the meals she cooks, the welcome that she extends to her guests.... she truly is at the top of any list I would ever make (as a very seasoned world traveler) , for what a hostess, but also a very knowledgeable Rancher, saavy business person, and successful entrepreneur, can offer to her guests.... the issue for me is with Jerry... he is the Rancher that you learn from, the person that leads you out on the trail, and the person that you look up to and respect as the boss.... and being an Executive for over 30 years, I have no problem with dealing with, respecting, and learning from the boss.... Jerry can grow in that arena... he needs to understand that he is running a Guest Ranch.... and as such, there is a contract between the guest and the Rancher... a contract that his wonderful wife Tammy never loses sight of... I have a very thick skin.... but I also have very little tolerance for unkindness, impatience or intolerance ( I'm a 65 year old man who came out as gay at age 45, and I have rarely had reason to even suspect the intolerance word)... Jerry and I did not hit it off from the very beginning, and I don't believe that was due to any fault on my part... and I will leave it at that.... but attempts on my part to make the situation better, I feel, just lead to further aloofness and discomfort.... I truly felt overall that the Guest Ranch experience was something his wife Tammy recognized as an opportunity, and she has made into a truly remarkable success... and Jerry comes across as begrudgingly going along with it, but never embracing his part of the bargain, no gusto, no alacrity. Bottom line, if your guests are paying for the privilege of being your Hired Hands, you can certainly teach them, and you can certainly coach them, but you can never forget that they are your guests. Tammy never forgets that.

The irony is, overall, the Rouse experience was extraordinary.. I learned what I learned at the ranch from Tammy and from my fellow guests, who were seasoned Rouse ranchers, having come back year after year from Europe to enjoy the ranch experience at Rouse.... which speaks so highly of what Rouse offers... but it would not be fair to fail to point out that the environment created by the Boss should be one of teaching, understanding, and tolerance of differences... so I sincerely thank Tammy and Jerry for having had the experience and gaining what I learned at their ranch.... and I hope that my constructive comments are taken in the spirit with which they are given...because they are truly hard-working and wonderful people that have benefited me for having been in their company.

4  Thank Timkglenn
Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I recently returned from our second annual visit to Rowse's 1+1 Ranch. We didn't think it possible, but we had an even better time than last year!

If you're looking for a "true working ranch" that affords a lot of time on horseback each day, then Rowse's 1+1 is for you! Jerry and Tammy are wonderful hosts who make you feel like "friends" from the moment you arrive! In fact, it's difficult for us to say "goodbye".

The food is to die for; the horses are great; and the variety of people you encounter literally affords you the opportunity to meet people from all over the world!

Jerry is the "trail boss" who lines up the daily rides and work. He incorporates everyone in such a manner that makes you feel as though you are an integral part of the team. He's very personable and extremely knowledgeable!

Tammy is very welcoming and an excellent cook! She offers an "all you can eat" variety of food at each meal, as well as, several dessert choices. She's a gracious host who never meets a stranger!

T.O. assists Jerry and Tammy. She ensures the guests have a great time. If you have questions about anything, T.O. is there to answer them. She is very accommodating and friendly!

The accommodations are great! The rooms are very clean and decorated in a western theme. The beds are really comfortable and we slept extremely well each night!

We are making arrangements to return next year, and, plan to make this an annual event. We're "hooked" and know you will be too!

1  Thank Pat and Loretta T
Reviewed September 28, 2017

Rowse’s 1+1 markets and prices itself as a top tier riding destination. While there are some nice and positive things about Rowse’s such as the general venue and quality of the food, the negatives sufficiently outweighed these for us to rate it as a 1. A.) It’s not well organized. There’s no daily schedule or explanation of the next day’s activities other than when to meet at the barn to tack the horses. You never really knew what you were doing or how long you’d be gone until you’d left the barn and there were many dead hours when there was no option but to hang out. Our last day there we finished up rounding up the cattle around 10:30 and no one had a clue what if anything was scheduled for the rest of the day. B.) The support staff while helpful in getting the horses ready obviously has had no training in quest relations and was often curt and condescending. This was a marked contrast to the many other venues where we’ve traveled. C.) The problem starts at the top. Jerry often seemed like the guests’ intrusion and inconvenience created for his operation was only tolerated because of the supplemental revenue. After he directed an inappropriate, rude, disrespectful and crude comment at me (but clearly heard by my wife and another quest), we decided we’d had enough and were packing up and leaving as soon as we got back to the ranch which was a day earlier than we had planned. The “working cattle ranch” experience is something we’d entertain again as riding in the beautiful open pastures and driving the cattle was quite a pleasant experience. However we would not recommend or consider Rowse’s 1+1 again.

6  Thank skschwartz2222
Reviewed September 24, 2017

This is the place to discover why "cowboys/girls" should be a national treasure.

If you are, like myself, not experienced with ranch life or cattle you are in for a great treat. You will spend your day on a capable horse who probably will know what to do better than you. Watch out for those saddles; they are heavy and heavier.

Jerry Rowse is a gracious host and a gold mine of ranch and cattle information.

Meals are delicious and generous. If you have a special request Tammy Rowse has most likely already done it. She is more than gracious.

Cabins are clean, cozy, comfortable and decorated with western charm. You will have a mini-fridge, coffee maker and/or microwave. Showers are strong; towels soft.

Be prepared to relax and refresh and enjoy. And yes, there is a lot of sand in those pastures.

Christine

Reviewed September 10, 2017

These things were not supplied in the rooms, so you may want to pack them: shampoo, hair dryer, your own pillow if you are particular. Other things to consider bringing: rain gear, and a mobile phone or camera carrier (one that attaches to a belt, or attaches around your arm or leg). There was plenty of hot water for showers, and an air conditioner in the room, as well as a little refrigerator.
We went in mid-August, which turned out to be surprisingly stormy with rain, thunder and lightning. We didn’t ride out if it was raining, or rain was expected, and we didn’t find a lot to do around the ranch when we weren’t on horseback.
Tammy is an amazing woman, who prepares the equivalent of a Thanksgiving dinner for 15 people every night. The food is fresh, made from scratch, produced from her own garden or provided by a neighbor, as in the case of the eggs each morning. She keeps cold water and lemonade available in the kitchen all day, as well as hot coffee and hot water for tea or whatever, with the intent that you help yourself when you want it. She keeps a sweet little store behind the ranch house, with sweatshirts, vests, hats, gloves, and t-shirts with ranch logo, some jewelry, and artsy things. There were some nice men’s jackets, too.
If it’s your first time to the ranch, expect to get a poky horse, regardless of your riding ability and experience. My companion and I both have our own horses back home, and trail ride regularly. The three other guests, who had visited the ranch multiple times, all had familiar horses, and they and Jerry would normally ride far ahead of us. Our first morning, we rode out to look at the cattle in a far pasture: Jerry assigned another guest to ride with my companion and me to make sure we got to the rendezvous point. The other guest explained what we were looking for among the cattle, but it would have been nice to hear from Jerry what we were looking for, and to get clear answers to our questions. The horse I had was a nice guy, solid and reliable, but maddeningly slow.
There wasn’t a mounting block at the barn. “My” horse was quite tall, so I needed one. A folding step stool was used, instead, which required a certain amount of agility to transfer from a narrow step on the stool to the stirrup.
The first day, there were about four hours of riding and lunch on the trail: delicious, meaty sandwiches consumed beneath a tree that had an old axe sticking out of the thick bark. There were lots of shrubs around if one needed to relieve him or herself – bring your own TP.
I would have appreciated knowing the ranch schedule or what needed to be done during the day. We went to the ranch, looking forward to work and learn, but departed rather disappointed in that respect. The experienced guests went about chores, such as taking salt blocks out to the cattle, and helping feed the calves, but I would have liked to have known what there was that needed doing and when to do it.

1  Thank WavesAway
Reviewed August 7, 2017

This was our first time at a dude ranch and what an experience it was!! Tammy and Jerry made everyone feel welcomed and so hospitable to all. Very accomodating to anyone's special needs and what a feast at each meal! They always waited for all to be served first before sitting down to join us and were the best of hosts you could ever have. We really enjoyed all they had to offer to their guests and would highly recommend that everyone go to enjoy fun and see that ranching requires alot of dedication and and hard work. We would give the Rowes's 1+1 Ranch a higher than a 5 star rating!!! Most wonderful people you could meet. Bill & Linda Schmailzl