“Working hard, having a blast at Rowse's”
Review of Rowse's 1+1 Ranch

Rowse's 1+1 Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Burwell
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My friend and I decided to make a quick getaway before school starts and wanted to try for the dude ranch experience. After narrowing our choices we felt that Rowse's was the best fit, and were right to trust our instincts because the 1 + 1 ranch was one of the best experiences we've ever had.

Rowse's is a real working ranch. Each day we rode out with Jerry to check on the cattle, move them from pasture to pasture and anything else that is on his agenda. They never made us do anything we felt uncomfortable with, but they treated us like one of their own and we were thrilled to be part of the action. To say the least, we quickly adapted to the sway of things (particularly in the saddle).The horses Jerry picked for us were amazing. It was my friend's first time in the saddle but she quickly learned thanks to the advice she got from the ranchers and how well tempered her horse, Jose, was. I've had my share of rotten horses on trail rides and during lessons but I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I trusted and connected with my horse, Gus. Cantering through the sand hills is a moment I'll always cherish.

The ranch itself is in an area called the sand hills which is unlike anything I've ever seen back home in forested northwest NJ. It stretches on for miles and you tend to forget that you're in the 21st century. We stayed in one of the cabins which was lovely, clean and air conditioned. The food made by Tammy and Erin was amazing, a reason to go in itself. We immediately felt at home with the Rowse's and the other guests. I strongly believe the ranch attracts a certain type of person and, because of this, we really connected with the other guests, regardless of what age or country they were from. We definitely created a pseudo-family, strengthened by us working together in the fields and chatting over the dinner/supper table.

We weren't sure what type of ranch experience we wanted but now that our trip is over we can't imagine going anywhere else, hot tubs and head to butt trail rides seem too trivial. We look forward to visiting the Rowse's again and bringing our family and friends along for the ride. We can't thank them enough for the great experience.

10  Thank MissLiz91

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Staying at Tammy and Jerry’s Rowse’s 1 + 1 Ranch allows guests to participate in the ultimate ranch experience. I brought my horse and found the Sand Hills of Nebraska to be some of the best riding conditions I have ridden. The ground is soft with rock less rolling hills, and horses are allowed frequent water stops due to the myriad of windmills, which allow cattle tanks to fill with water. Most guests do not bring a horse so therefore are provided with some of the best broke horses I have seen. I enjoyed riding the endless sand hill prairies checking and moving cattle, checking water tanks, and treating cattle, which may need medical attention. I have ridden in the Black Hills, the Badlands, prairies of western South Dakota, and state parks of eastern South Dakota and found the prairie pastures of the Rowse’s 1 + 1 Ranch exceeded those places. I was pleasantly surprised to learn there are no venomous snakes. Tammy and Jerry treat their guests like family. I imagine that’s why I felt at home during my stay. Each morning we were greeted by a hearty breakfast and great coffee thanks to Tammy. Then we’d either ride or trailer out to check/move cattle. Each day was a new pasture/cattle to check or move. We’d either return to the ranch for lunch or it was brought to us and in some cases eaten under the shade of cottonwood trees. A delicious supper was a great way to end the day. My personal favorite was the Friday night “melt in your mouth” steak. In the evening I would retire to a well-decorated CLEAN cabin complete with a comfortable bed, fresh soft linens, and plenty of hot and the softest water I have encountered. Each morning I would sit on the porch and observe wild turkey meandering through the ranch. At the end of a working day, I longed for a cool drink of Tammy’s lemonade. I failed to get her recipe so will be returning next summer for more!

8  Thank marletta
Reviewed June 7, 2012

If you want to have a genuine ranch experience the 1 + 1 is the place to go. Tammy and Jerry extend the warmest of welcomes so from the moment you arrive you feel at home. You are invited to join in the ranch activities from day one and no day is the same as the last. This is a working ranch where the welfare of the cattle and the horses is of paramount importance. Do not confuse the 1 + 1 with a "Dude Ranch" - this is the real deal. During our week we moved cattle to new pastures, rounded up cows and calves for transportation to other ranches...and even played a hands on part in branding calves at a neighbours ranch. The friendship and mutual support in this community is truly outstanding and brings out the best in all who are lucky enough to get involved. The accomodation is first class. The food is outstanding. Tammy, Kellie and Erin work their magic in the kitchen every day to deliver home cooking of such a high standard you will be amazed (genuinely the best steak we have ever had). If , like me, you are not a rider you can still get to experience life on a ranch without tht horse riding...you are welcome to get involved with the day to day behind the scenes activities which are essential to the smooth running of the whole operation and get to watch the cowboys come home at the end of the day! A heartfelt "Thank You" to Tammy, Jerry, Kyle, Tracey, Erin and Kellie (the whirlwind).....looking forward to that beer on our next visit!

5  Thank Steve B
Reviewed June 6, 2012

June 2012, we just got back from a week at Rowse's 1+1 Ranch. What a great time, spent with fantastic people! We spent a LOT of time riding horses to different kinds of work on the ranch, which we wanted, and other time doing whatever needed doing - our choice - and that was also great. This is a REAL working ranch, with lots of work that needs to be done, alongside great people. The food was great - and plentiful! The people are amongst the best you could meet anywhere. Thank you Jerry and Tammy and everyone else for a great week! We can't wait to come back!

5  Thank Joe O
Reviewed January 29, 2012

The Rowse 1 plus 1 Ranch was the place to go for a well needed vacation. What a class act Ranch this is. Tammy and Jerry were outstanding host who made you feel right at home from the moment you arrived until your last day. Tammy's cooking is outstanding, The horses are all well trained and the ranch is one beautiful place to ride, explore and experience. Enough can not be said about the Rowse family history and there view on life in the midwest ranching community. Picture's taken in my mind will last forever, Lodging is very clean, comfortable and set up in midwest decor. Return trips from myself and family will definatly be in the future as this place should be experienced by everyone. I Highly recommend Rowse 1 plus 1 Ranch

7  Thank Steve C