“Fantastic Family Fun!”

Fontenelle Forest Nature Center
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Bellevue
More attraction details
Owner description: More than 1,000 acres of forested hardwoods and wildlife-filled wetlands include a nature center with animal exhibits and children's programs.
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great place that an association has worked so hard to preserve in the heart of Bellevue. Relaxing, pretty, fun. Take a jaunt in the forest and feel your cares melt away!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Though the temps were rather high and humidity as well, we enjoyed a short hike through this wilderness area. The wooden walkway is convenient for handicapped and families with children, but we prefered the rugged pathways of which there are still aplenty.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I bought my husband and myself hydration packs for his birthday knowing that I wanted to visit Fontenelle for a hike. This place is amazing, not only does it offer a beautiful and natural look at nature but the trails are a nice challenge. We spent about 4 hours hiking and ran into one trail that was a pain but other than that it was a great experience. We were warned about the marsh area being rough and the front desk associate was not kidding, we left a little beaten up but I'd do it all over again. If you plan on visiting Fontenelle for a hike on their rough trails I would recommend a hydration pack since carrying a water bottle around can be a pain and wear some light weight pants or shorts you can turn into pants to avoid getting cut up in the marsh area (near the train tracks).

I can't wait to visit Fontenelle again, it was just great!

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We have a pass to Fontenelle Nature Center for our family of four. We visit at least once a month, even in the winter. They have a wide variety of trails, so you can choose your level of difficulty. Wildlife is abundant, and it's an especially great place to bird watch.

One of the highlights of Fontenelle is the boardwalk, which is over a mile long and offers a view of the Missouri River. It's perfect for kids and those that are unable or don't feel like trail hiking that day.

Since we have kids, we also visit the activity center on the lower level. It has an area for smaller children, a few animals in aquariums. They have been doing renovations to this area for a few months, and it is the one place that could use some improvement. Lots of potential in that space, it just needs to be filled. They do have books and costumes and blocks.

They also offer classes throughout the year, usually for ages 3+, and various camps and attractions.

It's definitely worth the money for a day pass if you are a nature lover visiting the area. If you are local, I highly recommend a membership.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Nice walk for active people. Small area behind visitors center for small children and teenagers who refuse to disconnect from social media long enough to absorb something natural. Saw lots of birds and some deer. Some trails are not clearly marked so stay sharp. Visitor center staff look the part of naturalists but in the reality know little of the park or the animals and wildlife in it. Twice I was refered to the parks web site, for the answer for my questions. Nice handicapped walk ways and lots of shade even on the hottest days.