“We just keep coming back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rocking Z Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wolf Creek
Rocking Z Guest Ranch
Kingsteignton, England, United Kingdom
“We just keep coming back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was our sixth visit to what we call our "second home and second family"....we have driven our friends nuts with tales from Rocking Z and the wonderful Wirth family. A more genuine, funny, careing, hard working family you will not find anywhere else. Their passion for their herd, their horsemanship and their way of life is infectious. Two friends came with us this year, both have worked with horses all their life but are now in their "later years" 69 & 72! and boy did they have a good time. We have watched Rocking Z go from strength to strength. They really do cater for all levels of rider and every time we go, there is something new to experience and another host of memories to treasure. x

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Yogabellydance

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

5 of us girls from Scotland have just returned from a week at Rocking Z in Montana to celebrate my 40th birthday and it not only lived up to but exceeded all of our dreams and expectations! What a truly wonderful place in every way... the location itself is iconic, the scenery is breathtaking, the horses are responsive and matched exactly to you and your riding ability (there's 60+ to choose from!), the ranch itself is very comfortable with great amenities, very cosy and inviting and Patty's cooking is amazing (!!! - ask her to make her special Taco pie!), and the family themselves are lovely genuine people who are clearly very passionate about their business and making sure you have a great time. Anna and Maria Wirth are outstanding horsewomen (and singers/entertainers! - is there no end to these girls talents?!) and it is a joy to learn from them - they have a gift of talking 'horse' and sharing their knowledge and experiences to help you and ensure you really enjoy your riding. A small tip... anyone travelling from the UK should book for longer than a week! After the long journey to get there, we felt that we should have booked for a fortnight or at least 10 days as a week is too short. There are so many great rides out there and even just activities at the ranch that before you know it, it's time to go home and we felt we had shortchanged ourselves! Next time, we will be going for 2 weeks! Nothing left for me to say other than these 'nothing short of excellent' reviews inspired me to choose Rocking Z ranch over some others and this joins those reviews to add to the 100% track record of excellence in every way!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Lorna M
hertford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was advised by the travel agent that this ranch was the one for me particularly as I was interested in Parelli. I travelled on my own leaving husband and kids to fend for themselves. Impossible to describe what an amazing place this is and how wonderful the Wirth family is. All the reviews are spot on. I had the trip of my life. The other guests were great company and the food is good home cooking that just fits the bill after a day in the dust. I woke every day feeling like a kid leaping out of bed to see what the day would bring. There would always be something special. Lots of laughs,from breakfast to dinner, lovely horses, plenty of stories and lots of riding across all terrains. You gotta go

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank SamEHertford
winchester,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have just returned from 7 days with the wonderful Wirth's and was made to feel like one of the family. As a timid horse lover I was amazed with how much confidence I gained and how safe I felt. Their horses are exquisit and very well trained with just about something for all abilities, the location will take your breath away and accomadation is clean and comfortable. Pattys cooking will make you want seconds especially the 'brisket'! They really do taylor make an itinery to suit your needs and give you a new experience every day. I cannot thank them enough for all I have learned and for making me feel so welcome. This was a holiday of a lifetime that far exceeded my expectations. Ladies a lipbalm is a must in the dry air.

Room Tip: I stayed in the James Fergus room,very spacious with queen size bed (very comfy) bath & shower...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank rachel d
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just a wonderful place for a family holiday. We booked after reading the stellar reviews and the Rocking Z surpassed all our expectations. It's small - no more than 16 guests at any time - and run by a fantastic family who work their backsides off to make sure every single guest has a stay to remember. We had a 2 year old with us, and although he's too little to spend long in the saddle he couldn't get enough of the other activities, and the time he got to spend meeting all the animals and riding in horse-drawn carriages, and playing on Zak's collection of tractors and diggers. Food was unspeakably good, too, and we spent many happy hours drinking from the keg in the ranch's saloon. The only downside was that we only came for three nights. Next time, it'll be a week, minimum

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Grizzly78
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I just returned from the Rocking Z Dude Ranch. In general we love horse riding but knew nothing of true horsemanship or proper technique. If you are truly looking to improve your riding skills and actually learn technique; then this is the place for you. The level of knowledge by the owners/staff of this ranch well exceeds other dude ranches we have been to. They are definitely a teaching facility, from the care of the horses to riding the horses and everything in between. They encourage hands on all the way! The horses here are exquisitely trained to understand gentle cues and it is obvious how well loved they are. The actual rides are really wonderful and offer diverse views on a daily basis. One day you may walking/trotting/cantering through open plains and the next day you may be going into the mountains and the next day you may be hearding cattle; just fantastic! If you have a need for speed then they make sure you go out with a more advanced group; promise you, you won't be stuck walking the whole time if that's not what you are looking for. If you require some extra personal training to improve your riding, such as I did, they make every effort to accomodate you until you feel safe on the horse. As far as the rooms, they are quite comfortable and roomy and warmly decorated. As far as the food, while it is simple, most of it is made from scratch and they also cater to any specific needs such as gluten or dairy intolerances or Kosher needs. I had at times wished for a finer variety of dishes at lunch since the norm were hamburgers/sandwiches/hot dogs and a lot ffo pork was served in different ways etc... but in reality, it is a dude ranch, so simple is expected. For breakfast you can expect eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes from scratch although I found those to be a bit dry and overcooked, cereals, and fruit. For dinners (they were good), you can expect dishes such as lasagne, pulled pork, spaghetti, beef stroganoff, various wonderful very fresh vegetables and salad plus homemade dessert and cookies. Dinners were my favorite. Regardless of my personal taste in food, you are guaranteed very fresh and homemade food made with a lot of caring. I have to admit that I typically have a pretty refined pallate and so this is the point in where I critique foods. But if you have an average yet good pallate and just appreciate most good food, then you will be very very pleased! The atmosphere is friendly and what really warmed my heart was listening to all the knowledge and stories of history that the owner Zack had to share with us on a daily basis in some form or another; it felt like a great family environment. Or the way Patty his wife was tending to the food needs of the guests such as myself. Or perhaps how friendly and bubbly Maria their daughter was on a daily basis as she shared her extreme knowledge of horses and the Parelli method. Or perhaps how Anna their other daughter was so authentic and inspiring not just by her presence but also by her extreme love and knowledge of horses. I highly recommend this dude ranch; we definitely plan to return!!!

Room Tip: You should let them know if you prefer a/c or not as only of the small buildings has a/c. We do not...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KTabachnikov
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

In our 50's & lifelong cowboy fans we realised that it is possible to fulfill your lifelong dreams and find out what its really like to live on a ranch in Montana, rounding cattle and experiencing a world away from the one you grew up and lived in all of your life.
We love horses but never got round to becoming real horse riders so were encouraged to read that the Rocking Z would welcome us too. And we received a warmer and more genuine welcome than we could have envisaged.
We were carefully and sensitively matched with horses to match our ability and personality and then given the horse riding ranch experience of our lives!
. All the ranch hands were helpful, supportive and kindly , patiently explaining every day how to saddle up our horses and care for them. ( And doing it for us when we spent too long scoffing the wonderful breakfasts )
Each day as we went out riding we had a new experience and had to pinch each other to see if we were dreaming. The beautiful surrounding countryside that we rode through everyday was even more heavenly on your own wonderful horse, the wildlife, the bear family, the magical feeling of living your dream is hard to describe fully.
And then back at the ranch, which felt like home from day one, with all the luxury and creature comforts, fabulous log cabin "home" that was our own private retreat, and then then the lodge house where we all met up for meals, delicious home cooked food with lots of choices. Much laughter, cameraderie and fun with fellow guests, ranch hands and the Wirth family.
The Wirth family will stay with us for ever. Funny, clever, multi talented people you can" t get enough of them. Just when you think they are they the best horse people ever they organise a music night and shock you with their musical abilities. The ranch hands join in too and you realise why these people all "gel " with each other.
A visit to the rodeo, a barbeque in the garden with hickory smoked pork, a boat ride down the Missouri river, playing in the "Crick" on a sweaty hot August afternoon, chilling out with iced tea under the trees, playing pool in the saloon with a locally brewed beer.... yes it was all a dream come true, it couldn't be bettered.
And then,on our last night there was a meteor shower which some of us stayed up to watch in the stable yard. There were shooting stars filling the clear Montana skies from every angle , and I confess I was moved to tears because I couldn't believe we could experience so much pleasure in such a short space of time.
But this is our honest and simple description of our Rocking Z holiday.
We hope everyone who visits here has the same experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms were equally comfortable
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mariaq313
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolf Creek
Best Western Premier Helena Great Northern Hotel

Been to Rocking Z Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!