“Wonderful holiday, fabulous scenery, gorgeous horses and the most welcoming family”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wolf Creek
Rocking Z Guest Ranch
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This was my first visit to a "Dude Ranch" but my partner's fourth holiday of this type but we were both delighted with our choice and it lived up to all our expectations and hopes.

The ranch is run by the Wirth family who are welcoming, knowledgeable and work hard to ensure you have the best time. They ask you what you'd like to achieve or experience at the outset and then do their best to fulfill your needs.

The lodges are cosy and comfortable, the meals are tasty and generous and they cater for all sorts of dietary requirements. Meals are taken "family style" and it's a very sociable, fun atmosphere.

Riding here is blissful; the horses are adorable and they have around sixty so there's plenty of choice and they will find you a horse to suit your needs. The Wirth's are amazing horsemen/women and share their passion with you and they are so patient - Maria and Naomi had to correct my cinch/bridle every day which they always did with a smile. We were riding with complete beginners and very experienced riders.

The scenery is beautiful, breathtaking and vast.

We travelled from Heathrow to Great Falls via Washington/Denver - a long trip but well worth it.

If you are looking for an adventure, with lovely people who care and a true "hands on" experience, then you can do no better. We will definitely return to Rocking Z and can't thank the Wirths enough for an amazing time.

Ruth P

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ruth P

Reviewed August 18, 2011

I agree with what many people have already said in their reviews.
Rocking Z has something very very special. There is straight away a relaxed, fantastic rapport between the Wirths, ‘The Girls’ (Wranglers) and the guests. This is during your whole time there. During riding, and other ranch related goings on, meal times, and time relaxing. The scenery you see is just draw dropping.
This is coming from a relatively novice 50+ rider, I just had 4 lessons before I went just to give me confidence on a horse. My wife and I loved every minute there and although I may never be a steeple chaser I was quietly impressed with myself how much progress I made in only the 6 days I was there. They cater for all standards and by the end I was confident enough to tag along with the faster experienced riders all be it I may not have scored high marks for technical merit.
We are desperate to go again but this time will try and stay longer and do some of the activities we missed but only because we did so much riding and there are so many hours in a day.
They skilfully pair the right horse with the rider. The accommodation is great and the food prepared by Patty and the girls superb. There was a lovely mix of guests from the States, UK, Ireland, France and Germany. Everyone just mucked in and enjoyed each other’s company.
We flew from Heathrow to Minneapolis which has connections to Helena and Great Falls.
Rocking Z is ideally situated to also visit either Yellowstone or Glacier Parks before or after your stay on the ranch. I am more than happy to be contacted to discuss anything which may help anyone’s decision to go there or the surrounding area.
Anna, Ben, Maria, Patty, Zack, Emma, Emma, Jess and Valerie, a massive thank you and we miss you loads.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Scarletfez
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This is no ordinary "Dude Ranch" , This is a ranch that raises and trains their horses. They do have horses for riders of every ability, but they cater to European travelers who already possess equestrian skills. The food is simple but excellent and the Wirths are some of the finest hosts you will ever experience. You can ride horses and fish, the section of Little Prickly Pear Creek that runs through the ranch is an excellent Flyfishing spot.there is nothing fancy here, it is a real Montana Ranch experience. The opportunity to meet people from all over the world, makes this a special experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank John R
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I went to Rocking Z with my husband who had never ridden and my two boys aged 7 and 9.They catered for all of riding abilities from experienced to beginner and are the most hospitable family you will ever meet.The riding and the scenery was awesome,the accommodation and food fantastic and the additional entertainment for the kids included float trips,fishing and singing round the camp fire at night.Their horses are the best behaved I have ever dealt with and I have been around a lot of horses.
My sons want to know when we can go back and they rated it even better than Disney and I can honestly say it was best family holiday ever and can't wait to go back some day.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Pam186525
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Montana is amazing, and this family run ranch made Montana very special for me.

What made the difference for me was their obvious passion for what they do, their attention to detail and their confident and effective teaching skills. They are also straight talking, hard working honest professionals who deliver exactly what they say on the tin.

Before I arrived at the ranch my exposure to animals had been limited. I had never petted a dog before, and only had 10 riding lessons more than 20 years ago in an arena on the outskirts of Belfast. So yes I was feeling anxious. At the end of the week I had fallen in love with the ranch dogs and could participate in trail rides and trot.

This was achievable because of the diligence, care and skills of this family and the quality of the horses that they have.

I felt safe in their hands. Definitely one for the shortlist - I recommend top position!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank OonaghMc
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Just got back from a 10 day stay at the Rocking Z Guest Ranch, I travelled with two friends who are more experienced riders than myself. We all made very welcome, the hospitality at Rocking Z is second to none. They entertained us from the moment we got out of bed until we headed back to bed. Maria and Anna are not only talented riders and teachers but also talented singers and muscians. Both Patty and Zak are very wise and know how to make everyone feel at ease and welcome. Food is amazing and plenty of it.

Horses are matched to your abiltiy and you are not pushed beyond what you feel comfortable with. We had wonderful rides over the mountains and in woods and valleys, the scenery is amazing and we hardly saw another person when out riding during the entire visit. Every morning discussion takes place about what you would like to do that day and Rocking Z are very good at meeting everyones needs. The rooms are very comfortable and clean, plenty of hot water, towels etc. This is a very relaxing environment with experienced horsemen and women to help you achieve your goals or just have fun! Highly recommended I will definatly try to go back. Just one tip you could fly to Calgary, hire a car and drive down to Helena - its a straight road and it cuts out two flights from England. ( to get to Helena is normally three flights) It is a six hour drive but I would stay overnight in Calgary and then drive down and enjoy the scenery on the way down.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good