“Cozy lodge with friendly staff and great dinners”
Review of Kandahar Lodge

Kandahar Lodge
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Cozy lodge with friendly staff and great dinners”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I selected this hotel/lodge because it was the closest property that I could find to the Whitefish Mountain Resort, as I prefer to ski in / ski out. The lodge was a short walk to the lifts, but they ran an on-demand shuttle to take you to the lifts. This was convenient as walking in your boots with your ski equipment is never fun. There is a ski trail that you can take that brings you right back to the hotel, so returning is a piece of cake.

The hotel staff is very friendly, especially Jim and Russ. I tortured them with a hundred questions and they patiently answered them all. They even mailed me my pants that I forgot in my closet when I checked out (why do I always do that...).

The hotel bar was pretty small, but I was always able to get a seat at the bar or at a high top. You can also take your drinks into the very nice lobby and sit in a comfortable chair near a roaring fire. The restaurant was outstanding. I can't say enough about the food. I know that some reviewers feel that it is a little pricey, but you are getting food quality found in large cities at a price much lower than you would expect in these cities. I actually thought that the prices were very reasonable.

The hot tub was large and a good place to meet people after skiing all day. I did not explore any of the other amenities, as I just want to ski, hot tub, drink, eat and sleep. Speaking of sleep, my room was fine -- a comfortable (tall) bed and the room was clean. There was a refrigerator which I believe that I accidentally left a few beers in, but I didn't ask them to ship them home to me.

Whitefish is a great ski resort and the Kandahar Lodge is a nice place to stay during your visit. I plan to come back next year, but I will *really* try to not to leave anything there again...

Room Tip: They do not have elevators at the hotel, so request a lower floor if you have a bunch of luggage to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Jim R
Jennifer F, Director of Sales at Kandahar Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you, Jim, for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Kandahar Lodge. We were happy to mail your pants back and Russ and Jim really didn't mind all your questions. We look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is a great hotel with great atmosphere and services. I would forego the dinner there though. Overrated and overpriced. Great restaurants are in town about 7 miles away. I sent my main course back at the Kandahar. The huckleberry martini is fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a kitchen and no loft. Loft rooms get too hot during the night.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Donna L
Florence, MT
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We came up for a spring break ski trip. This was our first time staying on the mountain. We rented a loft kitchen room which was descent. Stairs to the loft are steep. Once in the loft it is hard to get around the first queen bed since it sits a leg width from the railing for the stairs. The ski/boot room, the hot tub and the shuttle were great. With paying the price we did I would have thought they would do something nicer for the continental breakfast it was very very basic: bagels, muffins, instant oatmeal, banana and yogurt. Nice atmosphere, lots of stairs, on mountain location but not sure it is worth the money.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank MichelleandBob99
Hoover, Alabama
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed five nights at Kandahar Lodge in February 2014 and loved it. Our room was on the 2nd floor and was a nice size with warm decor and was quite comfortable. The staff were always helpful if we had a question, and every morning they gave us and our skis a ride over to the bottom of Chair 2 in their van. We were able to ski in to the back of the lodge at the end of each day and store our skis and boots in the rooms for those before going upstairs. The lobby was beautiful with a fire going in the fireplace all the time. True, there is no elevator, but the stairs are not bad. True, the wireless connection was not reliable, but we were there to get away anyhow. Bring earplugs so you don't hear noisy guests coming down the hall late/early. We did not try the continental breakfast at all so can't comment on that. Note: Cafe Kandahar is fabulous for dinner (pricey but elegant, delicious, and not to be missed)!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Kandahar is a nice place. It has a nice ski room with places for boots and skies. The wifi is very on and off but you connect better the longer you stay there. It has no pool but a large hot tub and a steam room both are awkwardly located on one side of the second floor. You can access places in the town through the Snow Bus but if you are not careful you can get stuck on a 45 min bus ride around the town. They provide a very limited breakfast but works if you are on the go.

Room Tip: Get a Snow Bus schedule and plan what bus to catch before you go to dinner.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Showstopper414
Montana
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We've stayed here before but I've never done a review here. Each time we've been here has been excellent. The staff is very nice and accommodating. The price is right for being "on the mountain". You're just a minute or two walk to the shopping areas and it's easy to ski right down to the lodge. They have great ski and boot storage areas. The hot tub is large, warm, and well maintained. The atmosphere of this lodge is very rustic and European. There's always a warm fireplace crackling, and large leather furniture to lounge around on. The Snug Bar is so cute and a great place for a après ski drink. The restaurant is a little pricey but definitely worth it. Truly world class, try the Montana specialties. The wine list is unbelievable. The rooms are well appointed and there's coffee makers and refrigerators. Beds are comfy. All in all I'd recommend the Kandahar for a ski get-away. We haven't stayed there in the summer but friends have said it's just as nice.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "100's" rooms which were upstairs from the main lodge and very close...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MTcaribtraveller
Fischer, Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2013

First off, if you love off the beaten path this place is for you. You travel just outside of town and go up a mountain side, beautiful view all the way. The lodge is located at the base of the mountain and you can ski right down to your room. We went in June, which coming from Texas, was perfect! The staff was pleasant and willing to help us with any and questions and needs we had. It was our honeymoon, they even gave us champagne delivered to our room with a card! We plan on going back this year and making this an annual trip! Whitefish is a lovely town and everyone was friendly we enjoyed ourselves! Kandahar Lodge has a warm and cozy feel to it, we read how people complained about the breakfast, my husband and I loved it! We were filled each and every morning! Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Coachlala13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefish
The Firebrand Hotel
#5 of 17 in Whitefish
Meadow Lake Resort
Meadow Lake Resort
#1 of 4 in Columbia Falls

Been to Kandahar Lodge? Share your experiences!