“Okay hotel, pool for older kids/adults”
Review of Big Mountain Lodge

Big Mountain Lodge
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Whitefish
Calgary, Canada
“Okay hotel, pool for older kids/adults”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here one night after a long day at Glacier. The hotel is a 3 star at best. Clean, big rooms, although we were annoyed that we booked a "one bedroom suite" with 2 queen beds and a pull out couch and it was only one big room without any type of divider. The couch was right in front of the TV too so it made it hard for the kids to sleep and watch TV at the same time. (We asked about the 1-bedroom suite and the front desk said that was only for the king bed and sofa sleeper so I guess their website is a bit misleading?). The pool has a waterslide but it dumps into 5 feet of water so unless your kid can swim or you have a very tall adult to catch them, it it unusable for littler kids. The pool is also 3.5 feet deep at the shallowest end. The hot tub is actually outside so we didn't use that since it was pretty chilly in the morning. Breakfast was the run-of-the-mill continental breakfast w/ some hot items available. Decent hotel but I would probably find a place with a more kid-friendly pool when we return next summer.

Room Tip: The "Queen Family Rooms" are actually one big room, not a "one bedroom suite" as...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HMTY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Zephyrhills, Florida
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed here for nearly a week when we hiked Glacier National Park. OK, so it wasn't the Ritz but it was PERFECT for what we needed. The room was clean, comfortable, and affordable. The staff was super nice, and the location was just what we needed. They have a pool and internet access to print out your boarding passes. They are close to restaurants and don't miss the Whitefish Farmer's Market during the week -- either Tuesday or Wednesday nights. It is so worth it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gina M
Ridgefield, Washington, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This motel was just fine for what we needed it for. We were visiting Glacier Park, and it was not really close, but we knew that when we booked. The service was good. Front desk was very helpful. Rooms were clean and very large - almost too large, in fact. Bathroom sink was clogged and they fixed it as soon as we reported it. Our room was described as a bedroom and sitting room which was a bit misleading since it was just one big room. It had a fridge and microwave and buffet continental breakfast was included. In addition to the normal rolls and cereals, they had sausage and eggs or biscuits and gravy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank emmalea3
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Loved the pool area. They also have a hot tub and a water slide... the kids loved it.
The rooms were clean and they serve a much more wholesome breakfast than most other hotels I've visited. For e.g. they had a couple different egg dishes, warm sausages etc in addition to the usual continental fare.

Room Tip: water slide closes at 10pm so get there by evening if you want to enjoy it
1 Thank sameer g
Nick H, General Manager at Big Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to respond to the Trip Advisors feedback page Survey. We were thrilled to see the ratings we received from you in regards to your recent stay. If I or any member of my staff can be of any assistance for any future stays in Whitefish, please feel free to call or e-mail our hotel, we look forward to being of service again.
Liberty lake
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I procrastinated planning the family trip to Glacier. This was one of the only rooms left when we finally got around to making reservations and our stay provided ample reasons why this place is the last to fill up.

The Big Mountain Lodge is a lightly renovated motel with outside entrances for the first floor and an inside hallway for the second. My family of four stayed on the upper floor in a room next to a row of metal lockers for railroad employees who come and go frequently. The BNSF employees also purchase some of the most comically junky cars to keep in the parking lots for their layovers. I believe my bill for two nights would exceed the value of most of them. The rooms have a new card key system but all the other side and rear doors have not been upgraded so they remain unlocked and unsecured for anyone to come and go.

We stayed in a large double queen bed room with a hide a bed couch. The carpets in the room and hallways were quite soiled and the couch was pretty broken down. The beds were aged and beginning to sag toward the middle. The free wi fi was to weak for my tablet or phone to pick up, although I was able to grab the signal of a neighboring hotel intermittently.

After a long fun day in west glacier we returned to our room to find it only partially cleaned. The towels were replaced but the beds, garbage and floors remained untouched. A call to the front desk quickly rectified the problem but it still cemented in our minds the feel of staying in a dirty, neglected motel.

The breakfast was good and had a nice variety of breads and cereals and the kids loved the indoor slide. I suppose if I had booked it for $75 a night I would have put up with the dirtiness and chalked it up as getting what you pay for. But it was double that amount and it left me feeling a little ripped off.

Room Tip: Top floors provide a little more security.
1 Thank Phil Z

Travelers are raving about these Whitefish hotels

Crown Point, Indiana, United States
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Family of five stayed here during our visit to Glacier NP. We opted for a room with a fold out sofa and it had plenty of room which was nice. It was fairly clean but not exceptional. Beds were not comfortable. The breakfast was not good either. The pool has a water slide which my kids really enjoyed but it was too far to walk into Whitefish for dinner and it's location is behind other buildings so it was hard to find.

If I return I will definitely stay at a different place that's in downtown Whitefish. This is a 30 minute drive from the park, but if I couldn't stay in the park I would still stay in Whitefish because of it's cute, fun downtown area with shopping & restaurants. That was a nice break after the park.

1 Thank Barb F
Nick H, General Manager at Big Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
I wanted to thank you personally for filling out our guest survey and for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not find everything to your satisfaction. It is my goal to exceed our customer’s expectation and it seems we did not meet yours. I looked into your concern and please be assured that the issues you mentioned will be taken care.
I hope to serve you as a customer again in the near future. We would be happy to show you that our customer concerns are our concerns. We strive to achieve your 10's on the survey and will continue to work on exceeding our customer’s expectations.
Wa
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Myself and a friend were traveling on motorcycles thru Glacier. The property is not biker friendly. The front desk person denied us our request to park our bikes under the entrance canopy and was not very friendly. In eight years of traveling by motorcycles this is the first time this request was denied. The room was large but rather dirty. The bathroom was dirty with hair and smelled of urine. They have 2 outdoor hot tubs however one was out of service and the working one was cold. The deluxe breakfast was ok with some fruit, breads and either eggs and bacon or biscuits and gravy. I would not stay at this property again.

Room Tip: The property is addressed on the highway however it is behind another business and hard to find with...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
On behalf of the Big Mountain Lodge, we would like to thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay with us.
I am truly sorry that you you did not find your room in a condition that is satisfactory and expected from a hotel, please let me assure you that I did forward your comment to the Housekeeping Staff in order to take appropriate action so this would not happen again. The comfort of our guests is important to us, our goal is to exceed our guest expectation and I hope you accept my apologies for failing to meet this basic standards.