“Well, this one wasn't as advertised” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Mountain Lodge

Big Mountain Lodge
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Whitefish
canada
“Well, this one wasn't as advertised”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I am really glad that i got the business rate on this 'establishment'. Where to begin? Let's start with the pool...that was one of the features that wasnt renovated. Waterslide is a rickety thing from the 60'ies...oh, and watch your head if you are taller than 5 feet. Good news, they have two newer hot tubs outside. Back to the bad, they have no elevators!!! Overall, this facility looks like it used to be a cheap motel that got a basic facelift.

Our room was supposed to be a family suite. Well, maybe I had the wrong idea, but I wasn't thinking of one room with no divider to where the kids were sleeping. Oh, nice surprise was the missing shower curtain...

Breakfast was rather standard and reminded me a lot of Holiday Inn Express, just a bit less offering. Overall, I saw many touches of Holiday Inn everywhere.

I want to finish with some good news: the staff is great; very friendly and always ready to help.

My take: go and book yourself in another hotel, if there is availability!

Room Tip: book with corporate credit card to get discount then pay with personal card;
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Elgin, Il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Our family stayed here for 4 days in July. We had a great stay at this clean hotel. The staff was very nice and accommodating to our needs. Our children loved the pool with the slide, and spent many nights in it! My husband and I enjoyed the two hot tubs outside! We would defiantly recommend this hotel and are planning on going back soon and staying here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Big Mountain Lodge for 2 nights during our 7 day trip to Glacier National Park. The hotel had a continental breakfast that offered coffee, juice, cereal, various mini muffins, and toast. The breakfast also had scrambled eggs and pork sausage patties. The staff was very friendly but the guests staying in the hotel were. . .lets just say . . . interesting. Although the hotel is a nonsmoking hotel, we noticed that the guests staying in the room next to us were smoking. We were on our way out so we didn't bring this matter to the attention of the hotel staff and by the time we got back from a long day of hiking the smoke smell had gone away. The hotel has a big water slide and swimming pool that children seemed to be enjoying. The beds were comfortable but nothing special. The hotel is in a good location, about a 5-10 minute drive from downtown Whitefish. Its about 35-40 minutes from the West Glacier Park entrance.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Great Falls, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

This hotel is about as low quality as they come. Do not be fooled by the nice pictures, its a dump. This place charges the same as the higher ends resorts in town, but I'd bet the Hotel 6 in town was nicer. I would give them zero stars if I could. This place also scams money. They gave me 4 different room rates and has now charged me $36 more than the rate that the room was advertised for, and that doesn't include room tax. STAY ANYPLACE IN TOWN OTHER THAN THIS!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jsmith1147

Travelers are raving about these Whitefish hotels

Spokane Valley, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

I stayed three nights on a business trip and was very pleased. The rooms were very clean and exceptionally quiet. The beds were very comfotable.The employees went above and beyond my expectations. I will stay here again the next time I am in town. The only thing they are missing for a perfect stay is refridgerators in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

The only reason we stayed here is because we were traveling with one of our dogs whom we picked up at his trainer in nearby Ronan and then spent some relaxing time in Whitefish. I wanted to give this independent chain a try instead of taking the easy route with a Best Western for travel with pets. The rooms are not the newest. I found it to be clean however. The employees were all extremely nice and friendly. I will give them credit for that. There is a nice big exercise area for dogs.

I wouldn't stay here again if I didn't have a pet. In fact, I'm not sure I would stay here again even with a pet. However, the stay was just fine. Although I do find it a little expensive at $149 for basically a motel.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Wetaskiwin, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

My wife, 2 daughters and I stayed at the Big Mountain Lodge under their "stay and play special" ($65/night tax included) for a recent ski trip. This was incredible value given the comfortable room, hot tubs, pool with water slide and the very good hot breakfast. The staff were friendly, accomodating and courteous. This hotel exceeded our expectations. We will be recommending the Big Mountain Lodge to others and we will be returning.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family