“Not a good place to stay”

Stumptown Inn of Whitefish
Stumptown Inn of Whitefish
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We made our reservation several months in advance using a credit card. We arrived at 3:30 and were informed that our room would have been given away at 4:00, because we had not provided a credit card. The room was not clean, among other things there was a piece of trash on the floor, and stains on the bedspread. The dryer was vented into the laundry room causing the hallway to be sweltering hot. The room was very noisy; we could hear the neighbors TV, and every step above us. The office staff was not friendly. We also returned home to find unauthorized charges on our credit card. We will not stay at a Super 8 Motel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 23, 2009

The rooms were smelly, the furniture was old and shabby and we could not eat the 'breakfast'. The hot tub was closed. We were surprised because the Super 8s we have been to in Canada are very good.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grss
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Arrived at the front desk, where I stood for ten minutes waiting on someone. Finally picked up a business card and call the hotel. Someone finally came to answer the phone. breakfast area is very very small. No more than 3 peple at a time. Loved sitting outside by the water and watching the chipmonks. Great location. Service was not good unfriendly

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I made reservations for this location about 3 months prior to our arriving. At the time of making the reservation I was NOT asked for a credit card number. I called a couple of weeks prior to arrival to confirm the reservation and was told that all was fine - I also advised the clerk that it would be late afternoon/early evening when we would arrive. I was advised that this would not be a problem.

We arrived on August 7/09 at 4:15pm and when I went to check in was told that my reservation had been given away at 4:00pm. When I asked why the clerk told me that there was no credit card to guarantee the reservation, I explained that I had not been asked for one when I made the reservation. Her response "there is nothing I can do about it". When I asked to speak to the manager she told me that she wasn't there and again told me very rudely there was nothing she could do. My family and I then had to drive around to find another hotel. I went back the next morning to speak to the manager who could have cared less, she essentially called me a liar when I told her that I had not only been not asked for a credit card at the time of the reservation, but had also not been advised of the 4pm room giveaway policy. I asked why I would show up 15 minutes after they told me I would lose the room if I was aware of the policy. Again she shrugged and said there was nothing she could or was willing to do. At NO point was there ever even the hint of an apology.

My recommendation stay as far away from this place as possible.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank lalonde1970
Reviewed June 24, 2009

The room smelled like somthing rotting. We could not use the air because that also smelled. The breakfast room was about the size of a small bathroom three people in the room is too many. The staff was kind of friendly but a rough looking group. The breakfast was ok but they cut the muffins in quarters and it just looked like a pile of mush.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Must disagree with the guy from germany,maybe there wasnt a deckchair to put his towel on...Will say,being im friendly with most and had been welcomed everywhere previous (this being our last hotel before moving back up to canada to fly home) on first entry the lady seemed a bit offish but from there on we found the hotel and room very clean...we were only passing through so to speak but the folks of whitefish were very friendly and the lady whom seemed offish spent a lot of time talking and was very very helpful including her personal life as we talked about life in america and england..the breakfast was ok,but when i walk into an hotel i dont start looking for faults,i like to be positive and only have words if im not happy about something,all hotels are not the sameid been in hotels with better breakfast,some less but the location is pleasant,hotel clean and service polite,i enjoyed my stay so thanks to the staff,i have no reason to mark low coz i had been in better coz this ticked all the boxes,thanks to the staff

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Myself and 3 other friends stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. If you are traveling on a budget this is a great deal. The room was clean and it was cleaned each day. It also has a hot tub that we didn't use but it looked clean. It is also right near a stream where you can sit in the evening and have a couple of cocktails. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends