“Great Sushi in small town Montana!”
Review of Wasabi Sushi Bar

Wasabi Sushi Bar
Ranked #15 of 96 Restaurants in Whitefish
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I had seen the reviews of Wasabi on Tripadvisor and elsewhere. My wife and son really like Sushi, and when visiting the National Parks and the Canadian Rockies, they didn't expect we'd have Sushi. Called first to see if they were crowded, and they were. Even with our reservation, they were running late and we had to wait awhile for our table (Note: Reservations are a must!). Server was very good. And most important: Wife and son said the Sushi was very, very good.

Reviewed August 7, 2010

We had dinner at Wasabi one night in early June while in Whitefish for a Glacier Park visit. After a week of camping in Yellowstone and a lot of miles in the car, we were all looking forward to something nice, and in general, we weren't disappointed.

We were seated immediately upon entering (I think it was around 6pm, but the restaurant was only moderately crowded when we arrived). Our waiter was very friendly and very knowledgable, and also quite efficient. We ordered a number of appetizers (dumplings and crab cakes for our two kids -- very good; a fish carpaccio (yummy) and a house specialty maki (salty/fishy -- not great) for us) and an entree each. Overall, the food was quite good, though maybe a little adventurous for our 12-year-old son, who tried but didn't love his duck with pesto (I thought it was very tasty and enjoyed it cold for lunch the next day). Oddly enough, I can't remember for sure what I had -- I think a pad thai-style noodle dish -- but it clearly didn't stand out.

Wasabi has a very good beer/wine list, and the atmosphere (several smaller dining rooms) was pleasant and high-energy. The only thing that really marred our experience was a table with several badly behaved small children in the same small dining room (low ceiling, loud children, you get the picture -- MY 12-year-old was beside himself, having never witnessed that kind of behavior in a restaurant before!)... but that was not Wasabi's fault, and after they left, the room returned to a pleasant buzz.

Given the diversity of restaurants in Whitefish, I might or might not hurry back to Wasabi on another visit -- but I think the food was credible and the service excellent... so it's worth at least one good try.

1  Thank DrewKnightWV
Reviewed July 28, 2010

You could call me a "regular" because I make it to Wasabi about once a week to get my fix. The OMG rolls are my favorite. Always fresh and delicious. Great, friendly service. My only complaint is that I need a reservation to compete with the tourists. One of the top 3 restaurants in Whitefish.

1  Thank MTBeachLovers
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We were there for a week-long vacation and stopped in for some lighter fare. Our party of seven had a variety of items from the menu and everyone had outstanding things to say about the items served. Would recommend this restaurant with absolutely no hesitation!

1  Thank Edye4
Reviewed May 20, 2010

My husband and I eat at Wasabi every chance we get. He proposed in a little corner of the restaurant so this is naturally our favorite restaurant around. Not to mention the sushi phenomenal! It just melts in your mouth. I have had sushi all over the country and I am confident in saying this is some of the best sushi I have eaten anywhere. I love the atmosphere and the staff is great. They know us by our first names. If you are in the area visiting Glacier Park, skiing Big Mountain, or just enjoying some time away, I highly recommend Wasabi.

1  Thank MrsSmith20