“Nice portions but over priced; owners need to relax”

Mc Garry's Roadhouse
Ranked #23 of 90 Restaurants in Whitefish
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dry Ridge
“Nice portions but over priced; owners need to relax”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I called before going to find out what kind of food McGarry's serves but failed to asked about the dress code, (my fault) AND PRICE. We had been sight-seeing all day; arriving to nearby hotel later than expected and were really hungry. The person on the other end of the line was very nice and suggested getting reservation since it was Fri. night, so we did. After arriving, hostess was getting ready to seat us when the lady owner whizzed by us to point to hostess' grid saying "I believe they will be more comfortable here." Hostess sat us in the very back of the restaurant. After looking at other visitors, we weren't dressed much different. Nice casual shorts (not jean shorts)..only difference is we had on T-shirts and tennis shoes. I'm guessing they're used to more upscale customers; however, I believe they would do better to be more relaxed in the summertime to perhaps bring in more customers as they weren't as busy as I expected or change the name to McGarry's Fine Dining. I ordered St. Louis ribs which were just o.k., had never tried this type of seasoning (gritty)...also the rib meat didn't seem fresh...bones were kinda black. My husband ordered the bison meatloaf which was o.k., he hadn't tried before either. Bread was stale. The waiter seemed ok during the course of the meal, though more concerned with the other customers. We left feeling a bit offended and wondering why they acted that way since we were paying the same for our meal as others.

1 Thank Rhonda C
KELLDOG, Owner at Mc Garry's Roadhouse, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
There is no dress code at McGarry's, much less Montana! And yes, you're right, everyone is and was mostly wearing shorts, t-shirts and all manner of casual summer wear. Why you thought that "They'd be more comfortable here" meant anything other than exactly what I said is beyond me. Every single spot in our restaurant is a favorite of one or another of our guests. There isn't a bad seat in the house, only preferences. Why didn't you speak up? Perhaps another server was busier, perhaps I chose not to seat you next to an "active" family (!). Why the assumption of a negative? Why all this insecurity? For heaven's sake, I was the same person who answered the phone!!! And yes, our portions are generous. But no, the bread wasn't stale, the ribs are not gritty, and the meatloaf recipe is not changing. Let's all just move on.

Conway, Arkansas
“Tryin' to Keep the Customers Satisfied!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This eating establishment was just across from the Good Medicine Lodge, so we wanted to try it once. They are to be commended for their varied menu and their energetic atmosphere. We arrived on a Saturday evening without reservations, asking for "a quiet table." The lady laughingly but politely told us that "that might be hard on a Saturday night." They are to be commended for doing their very best by giving us a large, private booth in the back. We both enjoyed dinner. It seems we had made a miscalculation. This is primarily a place for larger gatherings, lots of chatter, and upbeat fun; nothing wrong with that. We just happened to want to decompress after a busy day. I appreciate their awareness of our preference, and if you have a larger family group, this would be a nice selection.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Toran I
“Off the beaten path, but WELL worth it!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

This little gem is such an oasis of fresh good and great ambience! The chef Steven really has passion for his craft and the homemade apple pie at the end of any meal is a MUST have!

1 Thank SimonBuxby
Vashon, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I waited 10 years to try McGarry's and wasn't disappointed!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I've heard about McGarry's for a decade and our travels finally brought us in the door. It was terrific. Great service, excellent food, and a very nice setting. Oh...and the best restaurant owners you will find! The petite filet, the steak salad, and the pork chop were all very well prepared and quite tasty. The apple pie was to die for. I should have ordered another piece to take home for breakfast!

Sandy and Steve have built a very nice establishment that reflects their warm hospitality. There were clearly a lot of regular customers judging by the warm welcome they received. When in Glacier, Whitefish or anywhere nearby, McGarry's is the place to go for a great meal.

Thanks for a fun evening and great food!

1 Thank Jon F
Arlington, Texas
“Killer morel appetizer!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We really enjoyed the special morel appetizer--we almost licked the dish! My salmon special was excellent! Great service and experience all around!

Visited August 2013
KELLDOG, Owner at Mc Garry's Roadhouse, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it!!!