“NY- Main Course just OK”

Mc Garry's Roadhouse
Ranked #17 of 97 Restaurants in Whitefish
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Had NY dinner here. Appy's and Drinks were great (Vit. Spiders were a 10 out of 10). Main course was a different story. $32 for a Rib eye that was like Pan fried Pork Chop. Second visit here and still waiting to be wow'd.

2  Thank Notch18
KELLDOG, Owner at Mc Garry's Roadhouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hmmmmm. Fried like a pork chop....not sure about this, but I can tell you that it is seared on hot steel and finished on the broiler...not prepared correctly? Did you let us know??? By all means, don't keep it a mystery! You've been here before!!! Let me help while you're here so we can take a look and make it better for you. PS - you mention NY and Ribeye in the same review - I am thinking that it was indeed the ribeye. Until we meet again, thank you for your input!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Me and the wife stopped in at this place after a day at glacier park. It had been drizzeling most of the day and I was slightly bedraggled when we walked into this place on a Tuesday night. Jeans, Vodoo bowling shirt, boots and hat. I cut the counter culture figure.

A request for a table was quickly met and me and my wife were seated. I now think our seating was revenge, because seated next to us was apparently the most annoying california group who still haunt small parts of the flathead valley. The canadians can be pushy, but the scourge of california resists all efforts to flush it out of the area. Their were plenty of other tables but I was seated right next to them.

Apparently, according to my wife, my presence was slightly offensive to this group, they kept staring at my back. I am also a BIG man with an aura of violence about me so their was no way they were actually going to say anything to me. So they decided to drench themselves in psuedo culture and talk about how much people liked them instead, loudly, so I could hear.All very passive agressive, to bad I just did not care!

This led to the fun. My wife worked in a wine store and was rolling in tears after we left about how ignorant these "cultured" people were about wines. Their choices, their discussions, it was obvious that people for decades had been overcharging them for bad wine and telling them it was good. they spoke how much the owner liked them, but when he came out he studiosly avoided them and the owners wife only came over, once, when directly asked about a wine choice.

Service was great and attentive, even though the culture thugs behind me wanted to nit pick everything our waitress held her tongue . I guess I was all the pay back she needed. That and the fact that when I stood up to leave I paid the bill in cash with a fat tip, something that made the snooties behind me jaws drop.

Food was excellent and changes daily. Like a lot of places this place had their dog greeting you at the door from behind its picket fence. Unfortunatly it was not bread putddng night and no matter how much I weeped openly they could not produce any, telling me stuff is actually made the day it is served.

So do stop in, its a great place. food is well done and the atmosphere is nice. Just try to stay away from the californians!

1  Thank Michael T
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We (me, my wife, mother in-law, & father in-law) spent a week hanging out in Whitefish and GNP. We had our last meal at McGarry's and it was great ! We have been visiting this area for about 5-6 years and we always like to enjoy the local resturants. Our visit to McGarrys begain with walking into a perfectly planned resturant, the lighting, the bar area, the table set up, in alI the atmosphere was great; not to mention the cocktails were very pleasant as well. I can honestly say that we will be back ! THANK YOU McGarry's for a wonderful meal !!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This place seemed to be a solid 4 or 5 star place by reviews, but we did not think it was more than average. I find the ambiance at The Lodge at Whitefish Lake a lot better. My friend did not mind her halibut, but nothing to rave about. My pasta was good, the sauce was fairly tasty, but the scallops in it were..not too good at all. Besides being quite small, some tasted very old and others tasted fresh. When I mentioned this, I was told it was the difference between male and female scallops??!! So I googled that little tidbit but found no information about this at all. In fact, scallops are hermaphrodites. If anyone out there knows different...let me know!

2  Thank Sandy B
KELLDOG, Owner at Mc Garry's Roadhouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for visiting our restaurant. It is always a form of heartbreak for us when someone does not have a positive experience. Having said that, I will respectfully take your comments apart piece by piece. To begin, you were greeted warmly and shown to a window table with arm chairs and a small lamp. A delightful spot for those who have commented on the space. You had a lovely and funny member of our service staff take care of you. We were not busy, so you were the focus of our attention. Your order, Bay Scallop Carbonara, was exactly that. Bay Scallops are indeed small, about the size of your thumbnail. They are not diver or sea scallops, significantly larger. And you ate every bite, as did your companion who ordered the Halibut Piccata. Both are popular entrees. After you meal was cleared, you suggested that the scallop entree tasted funny. What should a restaurant do at that point? IT WAS GONE BECAUSE YOU CONSUMED IT ALL. Yes, we suggested that perhaps a female scallop gave you a funny taste, Although they are hemaphrodites, they take on the gender needed at any given time for the species. Females are usually orange in color. We struggled for an explanation because, as I regret to further disagree with you, there wasn't anything wrong with your meal. After you left, we checked the scallops, the cream, all ingredients, and another guest having the same meal. No problems to report. Your final move was to leave a dismal tip for the server, who was not at fault in the least. Shame on you. Next time, take a few bites, ask to see a manager/owner, and let's solve the problem while we can. We'll prepare another entree, and make every effort to offer you another lovely dinner. Any restaurant would do the same.

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I convinced everyone to eat dinner here based on the TA reviews, but I could tell there was some hesitation. By the end of dinner I was the hero for suggesting McGarrys.