“Did not live up to my expectations”

Mc Garry's Roadhouse
Ranked #23 of 94 Restaurants in Whitefish
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This place seemed to be a solid 4 or 5 star place by reviews, but we did not think it was more than average. I find the ambiance at The Lodge at Whitefish Lake a lot better. My friend did not mind her halibut, but nothing to rave about. My pasta was good, the sauce was fairly tasty, but the scallops in it were..not too good at all. Besides being quite small, some tasted very old and others tasted fresh. When I mentioned this, I was told it was the difference between male and female scallops??!! So I googled that little tidbit but found no information about this at all. In fact, scallops are hermaphrodites. If anyone out there knows different...let me know!

2  Thank Sandy B
KELLDOG, Owner at Mc Garry's Roadhouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for visiting our restaurant. It is always a form of heartbreak for us when someone does not have a positive experience. Having said that, I will respectfully take your comments apart piece by piece. To begin, you were greeted warmly and shown to a window table with arm chairs and a small lamp. A delightful spot for those who have commented on the space. You had a lovely and funny member of our service staff take care of you. We were not busy, so you were the focus of our attention. Your order, Bay Scallop Carbonara, was exactly that. Bay Scallops are indeed small, about the size of your thumbnail. They are not diver or sea scallops, significantly larger. And you ate every bite, as did your companion who ordered the Halibut Piccata. Both are popular entrees. After you meal was cleared, you suggested that the scallop entree tasted funny. What should a restaurant do at that point? IT WAS GONE BECAUSE YOU CONSUMED IT ALL. Yes, we suggested that perhaps a female scallop gave you a funny taste, Although they are hemaphrodites, they take on the gender needed at any given time for the species. Females are usually orange in color. We struggled for an explanation because, as I regret to further disagree with you, there wasn't anything wrong with your meal. After you left, we checked the scallops, the cream, all ingredients, and another guest having the same meal. No problems to report. Your final move was to leave a dismal tip for the server, who was not at fault in the least. Shame on you. Next time, take a few bites, ask to see a manager/owner, and let's solve the problem while we can. We'll prepare another entree, and make every effort to offer you another lovely dinner. Any restaurant would do the same.

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I convinced everyone to eat dinner here based on the TA reviews, but I could tell there was some hesitation. By the end of dinner I was the hero for suggesting McGarrys.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Enjoyed our dinner very much, extremely friendly staff, nice atmosphere and great food from the beer and appies to the main course. We had cashew chicken the bison meatloaf both served piping hot and very generous portion sizes. This is our first night in Whitefish and we would certainly go back.

1  Thank Shan152
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Very welcoming staff and wonderful food -- a great way to begin our week in Northwest Montanna! We arrived tired at the B and B across the street and choose this restaurant because we were exhausted and it was close -- what a treat!!!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

All we can say is wow. The Vietnamese Spiders may be neither but they are a great appetizer, with or without the dipping sauce. One of the specials was pan fried Halibut. One of those fishes with about 20-30 seconds between underdone and overcooked. IT WAS PERFECT in every way, including the caper, lemon, butter, secret ingredients sauce that complimented the fish while still permitting full appreciation of the taste of the fish. If you stay at the Good Medicine Lodge (which we highly recommend) you can just walk across the road to McGarry's.