“Another wonderful evening”

Ranked #10 of 97 Restaurants in Whitefish
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Recently voted by the community as the "Best New Restaurant" in Whitefish as well as the "Best New Restaurant in the Flathead Valley. Featuring fresh flown in and an incredible seafood selection and Oyster Bar in the region. 20 Wines by the glass and hand selected 10 craft beers on Tap. Located 3 miles north of Whitefish on Hwy 93 West. Open from 5:00pm to 9:00pm daily. Foodie, Canadian and Family friendly!
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stillwater Fish House has become one of our regular places for a nice night out. Given that it was during the holidays, we got a reservation a night early, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get a table. Place was hopping and service was a bit slower than ideal, but the food was excellent as always. Can't go wrong with the Hamachi Crude appetizer, the lobster mac and cheese is perfect on a snowy winter night, and tried the seafood curry for the first time and would order it again. And the 10 bottles of wine for $20 is a great deal.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

As a local restaurant owner, we value our time out. This was a great experience! We sat at the oyster bar and got wonderful service. Loved the Poki, Calamari that was INCREDIBLE! Caprese and recommended by the owner the Monk Fish. We would recommend this restaurant for adults and a couples night out. We will be back for GREAT food and a comfortable atmosphere. My new favorite dining experience that reminds me of a few great restaurants in California. Thank you for a great night out!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My first trip to the Fish House was for a company dinner. I started off with a oyster shooter. It's the only place around here with Dos Equis XX on tap, so I had one of those too. Their liquor license is beer and wine only, so my desire for liquor was thwarted.

We sampled all items on the appetizer menu, some faired better than others. Everything on the appetizer menu was a big hit but one. The biggest disappointment for me was the Crabby Green Tomatoes. They are described as a Southern favorite served on a bed of crab salad. What I received was a raw, hard slice of green tomato that wasn't even close to a Southern fried green tomato. My mouth watered wen I saw it on the menu, but the disappointment was the biggest letdown of the night. I guess I can't expect real Southern FGT in Montana, even if they think they can do it right according to the menu anyway...

Dinner was the Snow Crab Platter for me and the Mahi Mahi special for my husband. Both dishes were delicious. It was by-far the best calamari and Thai dip I've had--ever. The vegetables were a mix of summer veggies in large chunks mixed in with a mashed potatoes concoction. Mine had 3 grilled shrimp pressed into the sides of the mound, complete with a lemon wedge on top. Neither one of us were full at the end of our meals so we topped off dinner with a slice of key lime pie for me and huckleberry bread pudding for him.

The restaurant was very busy and in spite of that, the food came fairly quickly. The atmosphere was interesting, there are two big garage doors at the west end of the room which I believe added to the loudness of the room. People's voices reverberated off the walls and there is nothing on the walls to really dampen the noise. By the time we left, both of us had a killer headache. The server said they open the garage doors in the summer in order to have an indoor/outdoor environment complete with live music.

Pricing on the menu varied from reasonable to expensive, with the average running about $11-12 per meal. This was a special occasion, so we ate what we wanted. My snow crab platter was $29. We figured for our group we averaged $100-120 per couple. This is consistent with pricing at other fine dining establishments in the area.

I can honestly say this is the first time the owner of the establishment has come to the table, asked how dinner was, and thanked us for choosing his restaurant. Kudos to Jesse for doing so. We want to come back and try other items on the menu, so we will do so in the summer when the doors are open. I'm sure it will afford a different experience. We also weren't able to see what kind of view the restaurant had since It was dark when we arrived.

1  Thank J4D1S
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This reminded us of our trip to the carolinas in both food and atmosphere. We were treated instantly to excellent hush puppies with dipping sauce and honey butter. My caesar salad was in a class of it's own and then came the calamari appetizer-perfectly fried sliced calamari steaks with a creamy, spicy thai dipping sauce. We kept eating it long after we were stuffed full I tell ya! Of course I couldn't wait to get my main course(a bland dish of char broiled shrimp, kale, parmesan cheese and lots of tasteless noodles) what a disappointment! On the other hand, my husband really enjoyed his sea salted salmon and mashers and the key lime pie was a must have. I wud definitely go back & order a different entree but I suggest getting there before the rush-you need to do a ten point turn just to get out of the parking lot!

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Went on a Saturday evening and arrive a bit before our reservation so they seated us at the oyster bar. The man working the oyster bar was a blast; he had a wealth of knowledge and was very personable. When got seated probably within 10 minutes our waitress was very attentive. They have an excellant wine menu and we had great food. It was an awesome experience. We will be. But remember to call and make a reservstion first.