“Better value than I expected”

Lodge at Whitefish Lake
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
Portland, OR
“Better value than I expected”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stopped here on our way home from Glacier Park and stayed in the Viking Lodge. The Viking Lodge is across the road from the main Lodge attached by a foot bridge over the road. After concluding our stay in Glacier, we looked forward to some creature comforts and the Lodge did not disappoint. We had a spacious room with a fireplace, flat screen TV, and huge bathroom with shower and tub. The Viking Lodge also has its own hot tub.

I have stayed at fancy resorts before and expected to be nickel and dimed here but we were not. Most everything was included in the base rate including parking, a refrigerator, and wi-fi internet access. Breakfast was not included but I enjoyed the buffet for an additional $12 and felt like it was worth it. The breakfast area has a great view of Whitefish Lake.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Congratulations to the Averills for their beautiful, well-run lodge. We spent three nights there the first week of September as part of a three-week trip through MT, WY, SD and CO. It was by far the the best experience of the many accommodations we had. We loved Whitefish and all the friendly people we met. We'd love to return sometime.

Prophetstown, Illinois
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Spent weekend there in early Sept 2011. Had a partial lake view room - room very nice but not really much of a lake view. The Lodge has a nice Bar...a very nice restaurant..and a pretty cool pool and Hot tub outside that we didn't get a chance to take advantage of. They have a shuttle that runs back and forth to town - about a mile away - the shuttle works quite well !

Room Tip: Partial lakeview...can barely see the lake
Lethbridge, AB
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We recently spent the weekend at the Lodge; This place is very nice! The room was very large, very clean, looked new, had great atmosphere and lacked nothing. We ate in all the restaurants, every one had great food, awesome friendly service, and again lacked nothing. The grounds are well kept, nice location on the lake with marina, smaller gravel beach, nice pool area and pretty good gym. The Lodge has a great combination of beautiful facilities and excellent, friendly staff, there is really no complaints to be had here. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If you are staying on the Lake side you do get some noise coming up from the outdoor lounge at night...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I were very excited to stay at the Lodge as my in-laws have stayed for years and have always raved about how amazing it is. We were travelling with my in-laws for a business trip and they were very disappointed that we did not have the same experience they have always had. We had so many issues that I considered not even writing a review because of the time it is going to take but I decided to share the major things. So I apologize ahead of time for the length of this review! The location is wonderful, the views are spectacular and the room we stayed in located in the new Viking Lodge section was beautiful and well appointed. I do have to say the valet/bell employees were friendly and accommodating and that the spa treatment technicians were kind. Unfortunately that is where the good stopped...The service we received was definitely not worthy of the AAA Four Diamond rating the Lodge has. Upon check-in the front desk agent was not friendly or welcoming and when telling us how to get to our rooms she got confused and gave us the wrong directions. When we tried to take the torn, taped up map with us, she said it was the desk copy and that they did not have property maps for hotel guests. We eventually found our rooms (one in the original part of the Lodge and one in the new Viking Lodge). Our room was clean and had an awesome bathroom and fireplace. We ate our first meal at the restaurant at the lodge, overlooking the lake, and the view was breathtaking as the sun went down. All four of us enjoyed our salads and entrees and the service was good despite our waitress being slightly awkward. The next morning my husband and father-in-law had to leave very early for business meetings and the only option for something to eat was the in room breakfast menu. We were glad it was an option until we reviewed the menu late the night before and found the only items the menu offered to eat were huckleberry muffins or croissants. At that point we did not have a choice so we ordered a basket that consisted of two muffins and two croissants. In the morning the food was delivered on time however we did not receive any butter or jam to go with the muffins and croissants AND we paid $30 for the basket, a coffee and a hot tea! We could not believe the price for what we received! I left for most of the day and when I came back the room had been cleaned but all of our dirty breakfast dishes were still in the room. We set the tray outside our door and it sat there for more than 24 hours! During our first day my mother-in-law and I decided to spend the morning at the pool as well as have some spa treatments. We were not at the pool for long when we realized neither one of us had sunscreen. It was a beautiful, sunny day and we knew we would get burned so my mother-in-law went in to the spa to see if they had sunscreen. $34 later she came back with a luxury sunscreen that was small enough to be put in our carry on luggage for the flight back. As we were putting the sunscreen on, the pool attendant walked in to the pool area with a large basket full of many different types of sunscreens for guest use...for FREE! I was appalled that the spa clerk did not tell my mother-in-law that there was sunscreen available at the pool. I understand wanting to make a sale, but when it comes to a hotel of such high caliber I would expect more from the staff. That evening we left for dinner and when we came back my in-laws found the door to their room open. Housekeeping had gone in to do the turn down service, had left the door open and did not even finish the turn down service. My in-laws were rightfully upset and contacted the front desk and were told that the manager had left for the night and that the morning manager would be informed of the issue. The next morning we went to the hotel breakfast buffet which was mediocre at best. On the way back to the rooms my father-in-law stopped to speak to the manager about what had happened the previous night and the manager did nothing to compensate for what happened. I could not believe that all she did was apologize and say that is not the way they train their employees. We had some other issues with the spa desk staff as well as with calling the front desk with requests and having to call multiple times because there was no follow through but I will not go in to all of them just for the sake of time.
We will probably return and give it a second chance, hoping that our experience was a fluke, given that our in-laws have loved every other stay they have had there

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank SecretShppr
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed at The Lodge at Whitefish Lake and Truly enjoyed the experience!! We had a wonderful time on the lake and relaxing. There was sooo much to do in Whitefish. We definetly will be back. The resort had so many amenities and we enjoyed all of them from the Marina to the Spa to the Pool to the Food areas, all were very professionally staffed. We had one experience with a member of the Staff at The Lodge that truly stood out. I have traveled all around the U.S and I have met lots of resort staff members. But I cannot remember any of their names, but I will remember Tim for a long time to come. I do not know what Tim is directly the Manager of at the Resort, but from our time there and seeing him handle so many different areas, I would say his title should me Manager of Everything! We had lunch on the patio and Tim greeted us with a smile and made sure we were all happy with our meals,which we were ( I highly recommend the Brisket sandwich) After chatting with us a while and making us feel very welcomed, we watched Tim, check the pool guests, the Pool side bar and food areas guests and then the guests in the Tent next to the lake. He spent time with several guests and by the looks of it made each of them seem as welcomed as he did with us. Later that night, we had dinner in the Fine Dining Restaurant and Tim was there again to greet us and escort us to our table. He made sure we liked our table and then he was off again. We watched him greet every guest in the Restaurant to make sure they were all happy with the meals. He then proceeded to check all the areas around the resort again. On our way back to our room, we saw Tim again in the Lobby checking the pillows on the furniture in the beauitful Lobby. He wished us a good night and hoped we had great time. If I were starting a resort, I would start with Tim. We will be back to Whitefish, The Lodge and hopefully we will see Tim there too! Keep up the Great Work Tim! You made our time there very special!

Room Tip: Check out the view of the sunset and the moon from the lounge deck or the Restaurants deck!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We spent five nights at the Lodge and just loved it. The rooms and the setting are beautiful. Whitefish is a neat, small town and the lake is wonderful. I think the Lodge is only hotel/resort that is located directly on the lake. It has the best location, by far, of any other place in Whitefish for summer accommodations. We had a lake front suite that was extremely well appointed and included a gas fireplace. The view was phenomenal. The pool and hot tub are great as is the marina. We rented jet skies and kayaks while there. It is very close to town and to the Whitefish Mountain resort. The only downside to the room was that we did not have drawers in the bedroom to store our clothes. We asked for more hangers when we arrived and we got them delivered within ten minutes. We had a reservation for six nights but had to leave a day early because of hurricane Irene. The Lodge did not charge us for checking out a day early. I would go back anytime.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefish
The Firebrand Hotel
#3 of 6 in West Glacier
Pine Lodge
Pine Lodge
#5 of 17 in Whitefish

Been to Lodge at Whitefish Lake? Share your experiences!