“lucky find”
Review of Hidden Moose Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitefish
Hidden Moose Lodge
Ranked #2 of 10 Whitefish B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I happened to find this place online and they happened to have availability - wow, were we lucky!
Beautiful Lodge, great room, fabulous breakfast, helpful staff - all good. It is kind of a hefty drive to the Park but we have no regrets.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
HiddenMooseLodge, Public Relations Manager at Hidden Moose Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Thanks "Arturo2011" - we're glad you happened to find us! Welcome back any time.

There are newer reviews for Hidden Moose Lodge

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband, teenage daughter and I stayed in a Jacuzzi room in mid-July 2013. We found that the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and we had a nice balcony. Breakfast was fantastic! We even got the recipe for the breakfast pizza. We had complimentary wine and beer each evening and got hiking tips and maps to help plan our day. We have stayed at many B & B's and found Hidden Moose to be among the best.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear "Replevin"
Glad that you and your family enjoyed "The Moose". Did you ever get around to making our "Breakfast Pizza"? If you do... post a pic on our Facebook page, we'd love to see it!
Thanks and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We loved this b&b! It felt like we were staying with friends. The breakfasts were delicious and included fresh fruit and awesome coffee. The complimentary drinks in the evening were greatly appreciated also. The lodge exceeded our expectations and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thanks "K5farm" for taking the time to review "The Moose"! Hope you can come back and visit us again.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a beautiful B&B. The room was large, clean, and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful... and the breakfasts were delicious. The Lodge is just north of Whitefish and away from the bustle and noise. It backs onto the woods, and we had a deer munching on grass right outside our balcony.We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hidden Moose.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HiddenMooseLodge, Public Relations Manager at Hidden Moose Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear "fordco",
Thanks so much for your kind words. Deer munching on grass at the Moose is a regular occurrence! [Much to the dismay of Kim who tends to the flower garden!] We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I recently spent three nights at HML and we're sorry we didn't see the Trip Advisor reviews by Susan H of Atlanta, Georgia and Margie of Gillette, Wyoming before we made our reservation. The owners of this B&B act like they don't at all like the lodging business and, in our opinion, shouldn't be in it.

The room was dirty and I don't think the bathroom was ever cleaned, other than new towels delivered each day. The same drip on the bathroom sink counter from my toothpaste tube that must have ocurred the evening of our first day there was still not cleaned up by the third morning when we checked out. The dead roach layng with his feet up at the top of the stairs leading down to our room from the cummunity fireplace area off the kitchen was there to greet us every morning, as well. The breakfasts were odd and, in my opinion, probably not at all to everyone's taste. When my wife asked the kitchen help for a second small baggie of ice the morning we were leaving, she got a very sharp answer from the young (American) girl that was in charge stating "I already gave your husband ice a few minutes ago!" When my wife replied that we had been there for three days and these were the first two bags of ice we had asked for, the young lady begrudgingly went to the fridge and got it for us (no ice machine here; no community washers or dryers, either). I suspect the gal whom my wife spoke to about the ice was rude and cranky because of a nasty remark I had overheard a little bit earlier from the wife of the husband/wife/daughter team that owns and runs HML to the young lady who we approached about the ice asking why her (the wife's) breakfast wasn't ready. So, the young girl in the kitchen was probably just taking out her frustration on the next person she happened to speak to, my wife.

The husband, who came down to oversee breakfast sometime after 8AM on two of the three mornings we were there never acknowledged us nor any of the other guests in the breakfast room. Not that I needed acknowledgment; it's just that a "good morning; how are you enjopying your stay?" would have been nice to hear. Maybe he doesn't ask because he knows what he'll hear by way of a response.

The entire place appears to be in need of repair, from the broken front steps with a "warning sign" leaning on them to the trees, bushes and grounds which could use a sprucing up.

For the money, I would definitely stay at the nearby Lodge at Whitefish Lake. Reportedly, their room prices are not much different, but for what we got for our money at HML and the way guests seem to be treated, I would have been glad to pay even $50 more per night.

We definitely do not recommend Hidden Moose Lodge if you want to enjoy your stay in this beautiful part of the country.

Jeff K, Carefree, AZ

Room Tip: No opionion here
7  Thank Jeff K

Dear Jeff,
We are sorry you felt your stay at the Hidden Moose was lacking. We appreciate your feedback and only wish that you would have brought some of the maintenance issues to our attention so we could have remedied them while you were still there. We hope you'll give us another try in the future, so that we may change your mind about our lodging facility.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at HML in mid July 2013. Our experience was very positive. The public areas are very comfortable with a nice mountain look and feel. The staff was helpful and attentive and helped plan some activities in nearby Glacier National Park. Breakfast was very good. The location is close to the " downtown " area of Whitefish for easy access to restaurants and activities. Wine and beer service in the evening is a nice touch.

Future guests should be aware there are steps from the parking lot to the lodge if that is an issue for seniors or handicapped access.

We would stay here again and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back will be quieter.
2  Thank Mark J

Dear Mark,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Hidden Moose Lodge on Trip Advisor. We enjoyed having you and hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We found HML on the internet, and spoke to the owner before deciding to book here. We have never been to this part of the country, and were planning to meet our siblings (who were already booked at Lodge at Whitefish Lake across the street). They were going for a wedding, and we decided to join in and spend a week in Montana with them afterwards. Their hotel was booked solid, so this seemed like a convenient alternative and we thought, "how bad can it be?" We were booked in the Big Sky Suite for the first 5 nights, and then we were going to have to switch rooms. I asked a lot of questions, and finally the owner said, "Don't worry - we don't just check you in and give you a key! We'll help you plan your days." Bed and Breakfasts are not really our "thing," but we were desperate. After 8 hours of travel, we arrived at the lodge to checkin. No bottled water or fruit to greet us...she literally poured me a glass of warm water from the kitchen sink. We asked about bike rentals and she fumbled through some sheets, until we realized she is not going to be much help. We hauled our suitcases to the Suite and there were no luggage racks to be had. The refrigerator was thawing on the patio, and she promised it would be installed as soon as possible. (Not sure it ever really worked as it froze my yogurt and water bottles). We had clothes and suitcases all over the room as there was also no dresser to put anything away. Housekeeping was adequate - they never ever did replace the soap or shampoo, and I am not sure the floors were ever vacuumed. The bed linens were excellent in both rooms! The Suite had an iron but no ironing board. We usually got what we asked for, but it always seemed like they were talking about us (extra towels, 2% milk at breakfast, to-go breakfasts, a working blowdryer). I wrote them ahead of time that I was dieting and that I would most likely only want yogurt and fruit for breakfast - it was really nice that they did buy yogurt specifically for me. The fruit at breakfast is delicious...the girls do a beautiful job preparing it. Which brings me to breakfast....it starts at 8:00 am!!!! The week we were there was 97 degrees by day - we started our hikes/bikes/rafting excursions much earlier. Coffee was not available until breakfast - my husband walked over there one morning at 7:00 am, and the lodge was still dark and no one was there. We would have been thrilled if there was just a keurig machine in every room. Breakfast is prepared by a lovely staff of young girls - many of whom I am not sure speak english. Be prepared for a large and unhealthy breakfast - the American Heart Association would shut them down! There should definitely be more healthy options on the breakfast menu. The heat wave continued all week, and our Big Sky Suite was getting hotter and hotter without air conditioning - they told us to open the windows. My husband did manage to get them open, but then you really hear the noise from the street, and you feel like you are sleeping right out on the highway! PS: it wouldn't hurt if they cleaned out the windowsills once in a while - they were overflowing with bugs. A few times we had to call the office in the evenings to request breakfast to go (it's so great - they pack you juice, fruit, and scones!). Not sure what kind of phone service they utilize, but the line was usually busy, busy, busy. This was super frustrating and annoying to say the least. The day we moved, they had us pack everything up and they assured us that they would move everything to the new room after breakfast. We headed out and didn't think another thing about it. My husband stopped by around 3:00 to change clothes while I was at the fabulous spa across the street. On the way to dinner, he told me I was not going to be happy with the room. I didn't want to get upset about it because it was only going to be for one night....how bad could it be? I mentioned to him, "Did you see if they moved my tote?" Well, here is where things went to hell in a handbasket. His face went flush....he left the table (our last dinner with our family) to call the lodge. He was gone for a crazy long time as we were already having our appetizers delivered. Turns out the gal who answers the phone in the evenings knows nothing....she has to find her dad.....a series of miscommunications ensue until finally I get the owner who screams into the phone, "i will stand guard by your tote until you get back!" Maybe this guy should not be in the hospitality industry, When we finally get to the room, it is sufficient...but not sure why they call it a jacuzzi suite? There was definitely no jacuzzi and I would not call this a "Suite!" The bed was comfy, the room looked clean, the linens were good - we were exhausted from our week of activities. Several evenings we got home late and we could not find a parking spot - another little annoying detail. For the same price, The Lodge at Whitefish Lake is a 4 star hotel across the street. All the amenities of a luxurious hotel and a view of the lake that is stunning. Valet parking, bottled water at checkin, cherries in your room....it would have been a no-brainer if the LWL had not been booked. We are new to this Bed/Breakfast style of travel - maybe our expectations were too high. We would NEVER stay at HML again and we would NEVER recommend it.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay at HML, be sure to ask for Big Sky Suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Susan H

Dear Susan,
As one can tell by length of the dissertation of your stay at the Hidden Moose, there probably wasn't much we could do to please you. [For any potential guests who are reading Susan's review, please be advised that when she made their reservation, she was advised that the Big Sky Suite, was not available on the last night she wanted, and they would have to move to a different room on the last night of their stay. Susan knew this when the reservation was made. This perhaps tainted their view of the Moose as a whole, as we were told on several occasions that the fact that they had to move "ruined their vacation" .] We did our best to accommodate your dietary needs, purchasing special ingredients for your breakfast. While we do pride ourselves on delivering friendly customer service, my guess is that you would be better off at another property such as the Lodge at Whitefish Lake, so you can yell at their employees when you don't get your way.