“Not a good experience”

Grouse Mountain Lodge
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our recent stay at the lodge was unpleasant and we will certainly not return. Although there were some pleasant staff members, the overall experience was poor. For example, as soon as we entered the room, I noticed that the bedspread was clearly stained. Ew! I took the bedspread to the housekeeping staff. They apologized and offered to replace it with another. I declined their offer. The real disaster came when the sprinklers came on at 5:00 a.m. and pounded the windows of our room. It was so loud it terrified my kids! I called the front desk and maintenance was able to shut it off after about 20 minutes. We finally got back to sleep only to be awakened by the same sprinkler problem at 8:00. Again I called the front desk. They apologized again and shut it off again. The manager took $50 off the bill, but didn't even apologize. Bad manners on top of bad service is doubly disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank asmcbd
Glacier Park In... M, Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments so we can improve on our Systems at Grouse Mountain Lodge. Your input is important to us. We do hope we can change your mind about returning to stay with us in the future.

There are newer reviews for Grouse Mountain Lodge

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have stayed here for several years when on business in WhiteFish area, the rooms and hotel common area's are clean but are showing wear and need updating. I feel this hotel is overpriced for what you get. There was a problem with my reservation check in when I went to check out, I had to pay extra Tax that had not been included on my first receipt? So I had two seperate receipts.This caused a problem on turning in expense acct. for Co. The front desk person could not offer any assistance than saying, I would have to contact the manager to straighten it out? If not staying on business would stay else where.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ThomasA79
Glacier Park In... M, Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

We are committed to continuous improvement and delivering the best experience possible and I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered. Please be assured that I have shared your comments with our Management Team. Your input is important to us. We do hope we can change your mind about returning to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel has potential to be really fantastic, but it just isn't running on all cylinders.
The good: renovated rooms are very nice, comfortable and clean. Call when you make your reservation and specifically request one. Do not wait until check in or you may be too late. The restaurant is very good with excellent service and food quality. Most employees are outstanding. Particular props to Eric who is friendly, fast, and a true hospitality professional.
The bad: The property is half an hour from the West Glacier park entrance so if you are planning lots of park activities, you probably want to stay somewhere else. Unrenovated rooms are to be avoided. Ours had a plumbing issue. Pool and hot tubs were not full or clean while we were there. The fire alarm went off during our stay, luckily at 7 pm, and sporadically went off for almost an hour. One front desk employee was so unhelpful and unfriendly I felt like it had to be a joke on candid camera. I was ready to pack my bags and go to the Super 8 after a conversation with her.
That said, it seems like they just need to finish renovating and tighten up operations a bit and this could be a really nice hotel.

Room Tip: Call when you make your reservation and specifically request a renovated room. Do not wait until ch...
4  Thank ubergirl17
Glacier Park In... M, Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Grouse Mountain Lodge. We take your comments seriously and are committed to ensuring that our guests have a memorable visit. Your comments help us in achieving this goal. Again thank you for sharing your comments so we can improve on our
Systems.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Grouse Mountain Lodge this past weekend, and it did not disappoint. The room (a standard with 2 queens) was clean and the beds were among the most comfortable I have ever slept in! I enjoyed the layout of the room - the TV could have been bigger; it looked really small on the huge wall! - but there was a great assortment of channels for kids, family, sports enthusiasts, etc. Not that we spent a ton of time in the room, but we did hit the room early after some fun-filled days in Glacier National Park.

The restaurant was just okay - in fairness, we only ate one meal there, but certainly weren't enticed to go back for more.

However, the check-in was excellent; the staff were attentive, and gladly answered any questions we had about the area. The pool was colder than I like, but the kids didn't seem to have any trouble with it :) Unfortunately, the larger hot tub was out of order, so the small one (which fits 4 aduts comfortably) was quite crowded in the evening, and after a day rafting the hot tub was a must. The sauna was a nice addition, as was the outdoor gas fire pit, which was a great place to unwind at the end of the day.

I would totally stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a room facing the golf course; otherwise you have a great view of the par...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights after staying in the lodges of Glacier National Park. It was a great way to end our trip as Grouse Mountain Lodge was not as rustic as the Park hotels so we felt pampered. They have a shuttle to take you to town and the airport. There is also a small pool, jacuzzi and an outdoor fire pit. We had an outdoor balcony next to our room where we sat and had a cocktail before dinner. Golf was very big here too. In Whitefish, there are great restaurants and shopping. The hotel staff gave us good tips as to where to eat. Half of the rooms have been renovated but we were in the old room and it was still very nice. The air conditioner in our room may have been broken--it was so loud -- but we just opened the window instead. The lobby/dining decor includes beautiful stone fireplaces and specimens of wildlife - bear, elk, moose, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms.
1  Thank PittsburghBambi
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had a renovated room which was comfortable, clean, excellent shower, and a wonderful bed. Our one lunch and 2 breakfasts were very good - the salad was among the best I've had and the wine very good. In fact extra kudos to the staff who had a bus tour group at breakfast the same time we were there and managed to provide quality service in spite of it all. Loved the lobby. Love that they do not pollute the environment with those little throw-away plastic bottles of toiletries, but have shampoo dispensers in the shower.

Our one concern is that the front desk needs better training. When we arrived we knew it was early but thought we would just check to see if there was a room available at that time. We were told yes, given the key and directions. Got to the room and found it was not made up yet. At least when I called to the desk they sent someone up right way to take us to another room which was ready. Wouldn't even comment on that since a blip can happen anytime. However, our last night, in the middle of the night when my husband and I were sound asleep, the phone rang scaring our senior-aged selves nearly to death. It was hotel staff saying that there was a complaint about the noise coming from our room. No, we don't snore that loudly! In some ways I can chuckle about it now - wish we WERE up to making noise at that hour of the night. But it should not have happened. Security should have come to the floor to verify that there was noise coming from our room before phoning our room. We did complain to the manager the next day, and he was apologetic and helped to make the situation a bit more right. Just hope that staff is being better trained.

One thing to know: Whitefish is a delightful town to explore and glad we did. However, it is a good 40 minute drive to Glacier National Park. You won't be looking out your hotel windows at the mountains.

Room Tip: from what I've heard, request the renovated rooms. ours was excellent, but I understand others...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CaMmmtravel
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are lovely and clean. The carpets and tiling are new and of the highest quality. I appreciate the marble and the plantation shutters. We are on the top/third floor and we have vaulted ceilings. The beds have cozy pillow tops, the front staff was friendly, and the wine list at the bar has a lot of my favorites - really good stuff. The room we have includes a mini-fridge. Highly recommended. We are here to hike, it would certainly be great to stay here if we were skiing, also. I have not tried the pool, but it looks nice, and given the rest of the hotel I would suspect that it is well maintained. Great place.

Room Tip: Third floor has vaulted ceilings.
1  Thank Sabrina_Travels