“Great accomodations for family outing!”

Grouse Mountain Lodge
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Grouse Mountain Lodge this past weekend, and it did not disappoint. The room (a standard with 2 queens) was clean and the beds were among the most comfortable I have ever slept in! I enjoyed the layout of the room - the TV could have been bigger; it looked really small on the huge wall! - but there was a great assortment of channels for kids, family, sports enthusiasts, etc. Not that we spent a ton of time in the room, but we did hit the room early after some fun-filled days in Glacier National Park.

The restaurant was just okay - in fairness, we only ate one meal there, but certainly weren't enticed to go back for more.

However, the check-in was excellent; the staff were attentive, and gladly answered any questions we had about the area. The pool was colder than I like, but the kids didn't seem to have any trouble with it :) Unfortunately, the larger hot tub was out of order, so the small one (which fits 4 aduts comfortably) was quite crowded in the evening, and after a day rafting the hot tub was a must. The sauna was a nice addition, as was the outdoor gas fire pit, which was a great place to unwind at the end of the day.

I would totally stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a room facing the golf course; otherwise you have a great view of the par...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights after staying in the lodges of Glacier National Park. It was a great way to end our trip as Grouse Mountain Lodge was not as rustic as the Park hotels so we felt pampered. They have a shuttle to take you to town and the airport. There is also a small pool, jacuzzi and an outdoor fire pit. We had an outdoor balcony next to our room where we sat and had a cocktail before dinner. Golf was very big here too. In Whitefish, there are great restaurants and shopping. The hotel staff gave us good tips as to where to eat. Half of the rooms have been renovated but we were in the old room and it was still very nice. The air conditioner in our room may have been broken--it was so loud -- but we just opened the window instead. The lobby/dining decor includes beautiful stone fireplaces and specimens of wildlife - bear, elk, moose, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PittsburghBambi
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had a renovated room which was comfortable, clean, excellent shower, and a wonderful bed. Our one lunch and 2 breakfasts were very good - the salad was among the best I've had and the wine very good. In fact extra kudos to the staff who had a bus tour group at breakfast the same time we were there and managed to provide quality service in spite of it all. Loved the lobby. Love that they do not pollute the environment with those little throw-away plastic bottles of toiletries, but have shampoo dispensers in the shower.

Our one concern is that the front desk needs better training. When we arrived we knew it was early but thought we would just check to see if there was a room available at that time. We were told yes, given the key and directions. Got to the room and found it was not made up yet. At least when I called to the desk they sent someone up right way to take us to another room which was ready. Wouldn't even comment on that since a blip can happen anytime. However, our last night, in the middle of the night when my husband and I were sound asleep, the phone rang scaring our senior-aged selves nearly to death. It was hotel staff saying that there was a complaint about the noise coming from our room. No, we don't snore that loudly! In some ways I can chuckle about it now - wish we WERE up to making noise at that hour of the night. But it should not have happened. Security should have come to the floor to verify that there was noise coming from our room before phoning our room. We did complain to the manager the next day, and he was apologetic and helped to make the situation a bit more right. Just hope that staff is being better trained.

One thing to know: Whitefish is a delightful town to explore and glad we did. However, it is a good 40 minute drive to Glacier National Park. You won't be looking out your hotel windows at the mountains.

Room Tip: from what I've heard, request the renovated rooms. ours was excellent, but I understand others...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CaMmmtravel
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are lovely and clean. The carpets and tiling are new and of the highest quality. I appreciate the marble and the plantation shutters. We are on the top/third floor and we have vaulted ceilings. The beds have cozy pillow tops, the front staff was friendly, and the wine list at the bar has a lot of my favorites - really good stuff. The room we have includes a mini-fridge. Highly recommended. We are here to hike, it would certainly be great to stay here if we were skiing, also. I have not tried the pool, but it looks nice, and given the rest of the hotel I would suspect that it is well maintained. Great place.

Room Tip: Third floor has vaulted ceilings.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sabrina_Travels
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and i chose the lodge for a week long honeymoon...Normally I would not review a hotel but this place was an exception due to the extremely friendly staff as well as the clean and beautiful atmosphere. Landscapers are on site on a daily basis. Maids did a wonderful job. Could not have asked for a more wonderful stay! Will deffinately be returning!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank lovinglife1112
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I use to live in Whitefish and my employer would put all the very upper management who had three letters after their names at the Grouse Mountain Lodge whenever they came to town. I always thought that meant it was the fancy place in town. Now that I moved away from Whitefish my employer sent me back to work for a few days. I'm not one of the suit wearing management people so I thought it was a treat to get to stay here. Now my guess is the suit wearing upper management people like to play golf and that is why they get to say here.

Not being an employee who has one of the upper floor offices I just got to stay in a Standard Room. The room was nice and had some visible signs that attempts had been made to upgrade the room. The carpet appeared to have been replaced within the last 10 years. The walls had a few scuffs, chips, and spilled "liquids" on them but they had been repainted since the carpet had been replaced, maybe within 8 years. This was determined as there were paint splashes on the carpet. The paint splashes weren't as concerning as the "liquids" on the walls. The hotel could invest in a vacuum that is able to clean closer to the walls too.

The bathroom was clean and the shower worked. I didn't slip and fall while showering because of the fine stick on anti-slip stickers on the tub floor. It has been a while since I had seen anti-slip stickers in a tub. Don't stay here if you expect to grab up some free shampoos, soaps, and lotion bottles. There are push button shampoo and soap dispensers in the shower and above each sink.

I had a strong Wi-Fi signal in my room but the internet was a little slow. Since the videos weren't loading I gave up on watching news clips from the world outside Montana. The bed was very comfortable and there was an ample number of pillows. I did enjoy the well kept, very nice looking front lobby. It lifted up my first impression high enough that when I saw my room I think people in other rooms could hear it fall.

All in all it wasn't to bad of a place but definitely not what I expected or worth $219 a night. I wouldn't pay the high price to stay at the Grouse Mountain Lodge unless I wanted to play golf and absolutely couldn't drive to the club house. I have stayed in nicer budget motels.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Dirk9
Glacier Park In... M, Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Please accept our apologies for the less-than-satisfactory experience. Please be assured that we’ve taken corrective measures to prevent such occurrences in the future.
We appreciate guest comments like yours so we can better understand our strengths as well as areas we can improve. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Grouse Mountain Lodge. We take your comments seriously and are committed to ensuring that our guests have a memorable visit. Your comments help us in achieving this goal.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed at Grouse Mountain Lodge for three nights in July, 2012. The room was tastefully decorated with ceramic tiles and high ceilings, and the the room had the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in! The flat screen T.V., coffee maker & frig. and the double sinks were very nice. We spent most of our time touring Glacier National Park-so the quiet, high quality room was good to come back to. We also enjoyed the rustic lodge lobby and if you eat at the restaurant, be sure to try the crab macaroni & cheese-it was excellent.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefish
Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge
Homewood Suites by Hilton Kalispell, MT
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
#3 of 17 in Whitefish

Been to Grouse Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!