“The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”

Grouse Mountain Lodge
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Whitefish
Seattle, WA
“The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My family stayed here on July 4, 2012 while visiting Glacier National Park and stayed in their Loft Unit with 1 King Bed and 2 twin beds, booking this online and selecting the Bed and Breakfast Package through the Glacier Park, Inc. website. Here's what we experience:
THE GOOD: The Loft unit was really nice, clean and spacious, and it didn't looked dated to me at all...I think it is one of their remodeled unit. It is great for a family stay and I can't emphasize the spaciousness of the unit. It was quite warm in the loft even with the air conditioner on below, but the fan helped tremendously. I highly recommend these rooms! I also was pleased with the food at the restaurant, having a salad ($9) for dinner and the egg benedict ($12) for breakfast. I really thought the cook did a good job, although my mom wasn't as pleased with her choice of omelette, which really was very bland. The price was very average for the area, so I didn't think it was expensive at all. The service at breakfast was also very good.

THE BAD: Service was inconsistent at best. Our first negative experience was trying to contact the front desk after being lost in the golf course neighborhood while trying to follow directions from our GPS. The phone rang a long time and no one answered. I called several times before it was finally answered to get directions. The person mentioned that yeah, I'm not the first person to get lost in the golf course using a GPS and did give us directions to the lodge. I wish the website and/or the reservation staff mention NOT to trust the GPS and instead follow directions given instead!!!
Our second negative experience was in checking in. We waited about 10-15 minutes although there was only 2 parties ahead of us and there were 2 check-in staff (neither of whom were very friendly and didn't smile at all). It seems there was a complicated party ahead and one of the clerk seems to be inexperienced and had to redo many steps. When we did check-in, I was given a $25 credit voucher for use in the restaurant for breakfast. I was confused about that since I mentioned that we had a party of 3 and didn't understand how that would be enough for all of us. The clerk insisted that we would have left-over with this amount. More about this later.
My third negative impression is with the lack of maintenance of certain areas. The coffee table in the loft unit was very wobbly and seems ready to fall apart on your feet (it would have been paintful). I went out the side door near our unit to view the fireworks outside, but couldn't get back afterward because I found out that the battery was low in the door and couldn't read any card key. You had to walk back to the middle to get back inside. Even after pointing this out to the staff that night, it still was NOT fixed the next day when we were trying to load up our car. We also notice a rather large water leak running down the side of the hotel (like a little waterfall) outside the window while we were having breakfast. The hotel also appear to be painting certain doors, but supplies were left on the stairwell and guests had to walk around them.

THE UGLY: When I tried to get room service for dinner, no one answered and instead I keep going to voicemail). After calling 3 times, I finally walked down to the restaurant and tried to order. I was told that it was the host responsibility and he should be back "soon". After waiting 5-10 minutes, I had to "beg" the waitress to take an order for me. She seemed upset that she had to help me and again, very reluctantly took the order from me. I order a salad since it was supposed to be quick, although the order did take 10-15 minutes. The host did finally showed up and did apologize and offered me 50% off for my meal, but that amounted to less than $5 for a lot of grief. I give him kudos for trying to provide customer service, but this shouldn't have happened in the first place.
I am most upset at the promotion for their bed and breakfast package which promises on the Glacier Park Inc. website "an ice cold glass of freshly squeezed orange juice or a steaming hot cup of Montana Coffee Trader coffee. Eggs Benedict, omelets, pancakes, french toast and much more, all cooked to perfection." My impression from this promotion was that this was a buffet and you'll get everything after ordering either OJ or coffee. Instead what you will get is a voucher for $25 for 2 or $12.50/person which won't cover anything unless you order only oatmeal and coffee or OJ. Why didn't the website mention that this package was just a voucher instead? As we booked for a party of 3 and was charged $37.50 for this package, the morning clerk did end up giving us another voucher for $12.50 to make up for the difference. As I selected to add the bed and breakfast package to my already booked unit, I was given any price break and was instead charged the full $37.50 and I won't have add this if it was explained to me that this was just a voucher.
My worst experience was when I cut my finger somewhat deeply while holding on a railing on the stairwell across what I thought was a nail sticking out on the inner edge of the railing. Again, I went to the front desk with my profusely bleeding finger and had to wait a little while for someone to show up. The check-in clerks were not there and a man instead came to the front desk. I think only when he saw how upset I was did he offer to give me a bandage and antispectic and finally call the maintenance man so I can show him where this was to take care of the matter as I kept mentioning that you don't want someone else to be hurt. After taking the maintenance man to the site, he pulled out what turned out to be a big sliver. He noticed that the door entrance was not working and that there were tools and supplies out that shouldn't be there. Unfortunately, he didn't take care of those as they were still there the next day. The cut took awhile to heal as it bleed everyday a little and it was an inconvience while trying to hike/tour Glacier.
OVERALL: This can be a 5 star accommodation and any stay could be also 5 star. But I'll say with the inconsistent service, this is a crap shot at best. This is 30 minutes from the west entrance of the park, so if you can, I would highly recommend staying closer if your purpose is just visiting Glacier National Park. But if you like to experience Whitefish, then this can potentially be a good place to stay. My rating of 2 stars is based on my negative experiences...if none of those happened, I would gladly have rated it 4-5 stars.
P.S.: I did receive an email from Ron, a VP at Glacier Parks, Inc. apologizing about my negative experience after reading my survey of my stay. He did offer a refund of 20% of our stay, so I have to say that GPI seems to be trying to make their customer happy. I really hope they do address those issues.

Room Tip: You do get a price break if you book a room that already has the bed & breakfast or dinner adde...
3 Thank JadeineT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Thai first
Cockeysville Hunt Valley, Maryland
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Where to start.

We chose the GMI because it was part of the Glacier Park Inc., properties. We assumed that that meant that the hotel was convenient to the Glacier National Park. It isn't. Whitefish is almost three-quarters of an hour west of the west entrance to the park.

We splurged and paid $259 for a corner room to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The corner room was the corner facing the parking lot and U.S. Rt 93. A bright sodium vapor light kept the room flooded with a bright orange glow that made sleep a real challenge. The flat-screen TV did not have a remote. When we looked under the seat cushion for the remote, out popped a couple of Doritos crumbs!

Breakfast was also a disaster. The waitress served coffee but no cream or sugar. When she returned to the table, she had her order book ready, but then realized that we did not have menus. After we ordered, she brought us someone else's food, and eventually we had most of what we ordered. Unfortunately, the waitress did not bring my juice, but did charge us for two coffees, though we only ordered one. My granola only had enough milk to make it the consistency of cement. On the good side, my wife loved her berry crepes.

Our impression is that the hotel is just not well represented by the Intenet information. I understand that each hotel must show its best face on the Internet, but the disconnect between what we expected and what we found was dramatic.

We cut our stay short, and found another hotel for the last three nights. To add insult to injury, they charged us $30 for leaving early!

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the South wing, farther from the main road. Also, try to get a golf-course vie...
1 Thank Peter K
, Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
I apologize for the inconvenience you and your wife experienced. Please be assured that we have addressed the various short comings you noted and have taken steps to ensure this type of situation does not occur in the future.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We had a newly renovated room. Everything was shiny and new and in a lodge/cabin motif. Breakfast was tasty. The gift shop had some nice things. The only downside A/C or fan unit was loud and couldn't turn it off.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The rooms are great, the pool is great and the evening campfire is very relaxing. The staff is very attentive. Shuttle available into whitefish which is a very cute little town . Would stay here again

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I travel 250 days a year and practically live in hotels and lodges, so I might be a bit more critical than most. While spending a few days in the Glacier National Park area, we chose Whitefish as our "home base." Downtown in fabulous and the Grouse Mountain Inn is about two miles away, so pretty convenient. The room we got was very large and on the upper floor with cathedral ceilings. The king bed was comfortable, the bedding about average. There was a small desk, no couch or seating surfaces other than two chairs. The furnishings are getting pretty tired but were adequate. The bathroom was about average with run of the mill linens and towels. The hotel has a large restaurant where we had breakfast both our days there. The service was good and the breakfast was what you'd expect at any average eating establishment - nothing special, but adequate.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the golf course. Great views!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel has been recently remodeled and is beautiful. The bathrooms are large and feature two different rooms with sinks so people can get ready faster. Bedding is awesome! Restaurant is a little expensive and the front desk personnel seemed a little preoccupied when we checked in. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the remodeled rooms.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed here for one night and really liked it. It's somewhat pricey - though most things in this area are - but was great. The room and bathroom were clean, reasonably large, and nice. The beds were very nice, high-quality mattresses, sheets, and pillows. Our room had a small patio, and there was a larger communal patio down the hall. Breakfast wasn't included, but the breakfast at the restaurant was excellent. I don't really understand the complaints from other travelers about this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefish
Hampton Inn & Suites Whitefish
#3 of 6 in West Glacier
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
#2 of 16 in Whitefish

Been to Grouse Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!