“Cool atmosphere but dried out BBQ”
Review of The Shak - CLOSED

The Shak
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Southern Fried Chicken, Hickory Smoked BBQ, Catfish, Shrimp and Awesome Loaded Smoked Potatoes.Voted #1 in Whitefish for dinner on a budget! Our customers also voted us #1 in the Flathead Valley for BBQ and Southern Fried Chicken. We are also now serving Catfish,a South Louisiana favorite I guarantee.....
Asheville, NC
“Cool atmosphere but dried out BBQ”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I loved the blues atmosphere of this restaurant but should have taken note at the lack of customers. That might explain why the BBQ was not fresh and moist.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank S M

Portland, Oregon, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Incredible Food and VERY nice people!!!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I'm from the south originally and currently live in Kalispell, MT. The other day, my wife and I and our 2 year daughter decided to take a drive down to Whitefish and looked to our right and noticed there was this southern BBQ placed called "The Shak." Being adventurous we decided to give it a try, and boy are we glad we did! I'm must say it was the best brisket, southern fried chicken and hush puppies I've ever had. This is coming from someone with family from Shreveport, LA. No, but seriously we love this place and we will be coming back again:)!!! Highly recommend if you're in the mood for some SERIOUS bbq!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Phil T
“Greasy and bland”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Chicken and catfish were greasy and bland. Pulled pork was a pile of mush on my plate. It was shredded beyond recognition and didn't taste good. We went because of the good reviews on trip advisor, but I can't reconcile those good reviews with the food we had. I woke up in the night feeling ill and I could still taste the grease. I'm from the south and this is not southern food.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank DonnaAndRC
ckmayeaux, Owner at The Shak, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We are truly sorry you did not like your food, after the second time at your table it would have been nice to be told that the chicken was greasy and bland so we could have either refunded your money or given you another item off the menu.

In 3 years we have sold 87,575 pieces of chicken, not sure how they enjoyed it but there are reviews posted on this site not far from this one that customers have raved about the seasonings and how juicy and not greasy it is. One commented that there is a difference between juicy and greasy and many people are use to store bought chicken that is.

As far as catfish is concerned, it is flash fried in only canola oil and usually is quite crispy, again not my words but our repeat customers words.

Each has his or her own pallet and I guess this visitor felt otherwise, too bad we could have made them happy if we only had the chance, which they did not give us that courtesy.

Be blessed,
“What did you say to me?”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Just strange.... I live in Whitefish and have been in a handful of times. The owner just asked my friend whom he has never met "didn't you just get out on a work release program?" Last time he asked me if I had gotten my shirt at a garage sale! Who wants to be insulted as you pay for food? If you like that head to the Shak! I won't be coming back.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank EEC111
ckmayeaux, Owner at The Shak, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Woooh some people cannot take a joke and obviously this was one of them. If you want something different fun and a little on the wild side come to the Shak, if you want to order food, have the food delivered eat and leave without cracking a smile I would suggest eating somewhere else.

Anyone who has been here to eat knows they might get a little verbal banter and hopefully they will give it back to me, its the southern way of life (anyone watch Duck Dynasty) but some people just want to eat and go without any fun at all. I still don't get Northerners sometimes.

Enough said
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wanted to like it”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

As a barbecue fun I was excited when I saw this establishment on our way into Whitefish. We stopped for lunch and I had the pulled pork special. While the sandwich was good it wasn't great. major letdown were the fried pickles imo.

Visited August 2013