“The best in whitefish”
Review of The Shak - CLOSED

The Shak
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Southern Fried Chicken, Hickory Smoked BBQ, Catfish, Shrimp and Awesome Loaded Smoked Potatoes.Voted #1 in Whitefish for dinner on a budget! Our customers also voted us #1 in the Flathead Valley for BBQ and Southern Fried Chicken. We are also now serving Catfish,a South Louisiana favorite I guarantee.....
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best in whitefish”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was an aewsime pick for us to eat at.There were 11 of us ranging from kids to Gramdma, we all found something to eat, the portions were plentiful.the owner came out to talk to us and was a great help about the whitefish area. The spicy bbq sauce is the best there is, they should bottle this stuff and sell it to customers.The owner heard me say I liked spicy food so she brought me out some spicy potato salad, it was so good.my husband did not care for the catfish but who knows he may not like catfish anywhere it was his first time to try it. We were there about three in the afternoon so it was not crowded. A must stop while you are in whitefish, I will be babk

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Myrna N

Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Small but packs some spicy southernl BBQ.”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I just made a drive to Whitefish and on the main road heading into town we came across The Shak. The decor inside reminds one of being in the South and the menu had many things to select. I heard they are known for fried chicken, but I had the pulled port and brisket sandwich's with spicy BBQ sauce. The spice was just the way I like it. They also had some gator bites with jalapeño & cheese which were excellent. Glad we made our first stop at the Shak!!!

1 Thank radman143
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mmm Mmm Good!!!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stopped in The Shack for lunch and had the best experience! The food was DELICIOUS, the employees were very friendly and helpful and we found the decor to be quaint! I highly recommend the pulled pork sliders, homemade baked beans, sweet potato fries & even GATOR BITES, which was a first for me! It's a must stop in Whitefish and will make you feel like your in the south!

1 Thank Summerbreezy
Whitefish, Montana, United States
“better off at Mc'D's!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

my husband and I have tried this local "favorite" a few times; and a few times too many. The food is NOT fresh, the staff looks as though they'd rather be somewhere else. And although the owner brags that his recipes come from his family and his history of living in the South I'm not a believer. I have traveled the south and there is no comparing this Whitefish BBQ to true Southern fare.
Buns are store bought; stale; BBQ is often dry. I will say I haven't tried the fried chicken; but I don't usually anyway.
Overall, the place is dark; depressing and an old Dairy Queen which it still has the feel of....just not a place to "enjoy" a meal.
If your a lover of just getting your belly full; then maybe this is the place? otherwise your probably going to get "fresher" ingredients at Mickey D's!!!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Maureen C
ckmayeaux, Owner at The Shak, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
What can I say about a customer who would rather eat at that fast food place and one that my 9 year old will not eat at. What is surprising about this post is that the reviewer posted about 4 other post all on the same day, one of her comments was very negative on another eatery here in Whitefish which is absolutely great. We ate their Saturday night!!!

I can tell you a few things. First the large majority of our reviews about our staff are that they are excellent, so I will not even bother discussing her comments because we value our employees and I take great offense to someone attacking one of my family who works hard to serve them.

Our food is fresh regardless of her comment , homemade beans, slaw, mac, potato salad and I do not know anyone besides a bakery that actually bakes it own buns. She might like McRibs, but I would venture to say that she is one of 3 in Montana.....

I am from the South and damn proud of it and these are my recipes and while I am certainly not a chef from one of the famous cooking schools, I learned at the hardest school of all, my mother''s kitchen and my fathers outdoor cooking. If she was not satisfied why come back more than once, very weird...

The building is an old dairy queen, shoot me for that I guess! It has 9 windows in the dining room and on a gray Montana winters day it might be a little dark but hey, what can I say when the sun is shining it is quite bright. Oh, by the way we do have lighting here in Montana and I do pay the bill so we do actually provide lights to our customers on request......:)

Folks, please read the large number of great reviews we have and try it for yourself, if you are not happy then please let us know and we will be glad to give you your money back instead of making comments like this on sites that will post your biases here. We always want to help and do not want anyone to not be happy, so instead of complaining here why not complain to us. Oh, by the way if you rather the place she mentioned, it's right down the street and they have ribs???????? well they call them ribs.....

Be blessed,
Whitefish, Montana
“Amazing fried chicken, but call ahead”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We eat at The Shack every time we visit Whitefish. The fried chicken is amazing. Fresh, hot, crispy skin, not too much coating. BUT… call ahead before you go. The wait can be up to 15 minutes and with a family, 15 minutes can seem like an eternity. The hush puppies are fabulous and the service is very good . Last time we went, they were out of mac and cheese. Weird.
The staff is nice, but sometimes seem overwhelmed by three or more orders coming in. It is different when the owner is in the store. VERY different. Things run smoothly. GREAT food, but remember… call ahead!

• Visited January 2013